What's new

Saudia, Bahrain, UAE & Egypt cut diplomatic ties with Qatar

If Qatar and Turkey are really strategic partners as you say, then why Turkey didn't announce any statement regarding the issue. I remember when the failed military coup happened in Turkey, Qatar was one of the first countries to oppose it. Where is Erdogan right now?

I haven't seen any response from Qatar either! It's too early my dear friend, you have to wait.

What a short-sighted move by the KSA et al, but that just shows the reactionary nature of these regimes. The problem is the gulf states are feeling emboldened by the hawkish Trump administration, and are acting this harshly to Qatar DESPITE Qatar denying make those statements about Israel and Iran.

The thing they dont realise is that Trump is not going to be here forever. In fact it is looking very much like he is going to be a one-term president judging by all the scandals and dip in opinion polls.
And heck Trump might even change course on Iran, much like Obama and to some extent even Bush.
Thats because they realised that you can not get regional stability by excluding/isolating one of the regions main powers. Trump may very well come to realise this late in his precidensy.
This is the problem with GCC, they are not playing the long game but instead put all their bets on Trump. A short term bet. That is why they today stand as loosers in Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Lebanon and will remain loosers in the long term future.

A Persian man's advice over an Arab Tazi fight. What a faithful advisor you will be.

This is a big news, because Qatar is deeply connected to many nations. They sell half of their LNG to China, and invest gigantic amount of surplus monies mostly in Europe.

They are pivotal shareholder of many European companies like Volkswagen AG, Barclays Plc and Credit Suisse Group AG, Glencore, J Sainsbury Plc, British Airways. Chinese (CIC, a sovereign fund) also partner with them on investing in big ticket assets like London Heathrow airport, UK National Grid Plc and some trophy assets in London. See their behemoth $335 billion Qatari Investment Authority (QIA, their sovereign fund):

LNG is important to China, Qatari capital is instrumental to Europe, I'm afraid both will be affected if tension in ME escalates.

Citation: https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/new-...st-sovereign-funds.328675/page-4#post-9101020
Exactly, Gulf countries leaders contrary to what some people might think are very pragmatic and liberal when it comes to business/trade and investments. Reason the region attracts so much expats/investment and trade. For example small Qatar alone with barely 2-3million people has a GDP almost equal to that of Egypt,Iran etc.
So I believe it's very unlikely/if not impossible for a war to erupt in any gulf state. There's just so much at stake that even foreign powers will be willing to do anything to stop this from happening.
Plus KSA and gulf states account for Almost 60%of all OPEC oil production. So they have a huge leverage over world's economy/trade and they are backed by huge western military presence in the region, hence there is very little chance of conflict erupting in this region.
gcc-oil-production.png

They also have huge trade and investments with emerging economies like India, China, Japan, S.Korea, Brazil etc. So I believe it's in their interests to solve their disputes peacefully.

In a new statement from the Egyptian Foreign Ministry: Qatar supports terrorism in Sinai and we have evidence.

I think there is going to be war in the gulf... all those shinny skyscrapers are going to turn to dust in Dubai, Doha, Oman, Bahrain... all the enemies who have been jealous of the gulfs wealth and gonna sit down and enjoy the show such as the NATO types, the Israelis., and if course the Indians
USA ambassador of Qatar said this morning that USA appreciate Qatar's contribution in supporting anti-ISIS league operation and its endeavour to cut off the capital chain to ISiS. If Saudi and UAE launch a war against Qatar, USA won't let it happen. Don't forget the US navy fifth fleet is based in Qatar.

Breaking: Yemen severs its ties with Qatar .....
No Yemen didn't cut ties with Qatar, a Saudi stooge living in Riyadh named 'President Hadi' has cut ties with Qatar. Those who are actually controlling Yemen and its capital actually are supporting Qatar.

Now add Yemen, Libya, Iraq, Tunisia and Pakistan, they have also cut their diplomatic relations with Qatar..
Some Europeans might follow suite, like France, Sweden, Greece, Armenia, Denmark and Belgium..

Please don't spread fake news, Iraq, Tunisia and Pakistan have NOT cut ties with Qatar.

Whatever you all do, keep the oil and gas exports open.

And yes, warn India at least 48 hours before you decide that it's a war.... so that we can evacuate our civilians.... And maybe a decade later, make a movie on it....

Pakistan has no plans to cut diplomatic ties with Qatar: FO

Pakistan has no immediate plans to cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, Foreign Office spokesperson said on Monday.

The country “has no such plans,” the spokesperson, Nafees Zakaria, said, following Monday’s surprise severing of ties with Qatar by Islamabad’s key ally, Saudi Arabia, and three other Middle East nations.

“At the moment there is nothing on Qatar issue, (we) will issue a statement if some development takes place,” Zakaria said. Pakistan, which has a significant Shia population, has in recent years been caught between the feud between its Sunni ally, Saudi Arabia, and Shia majority neighbour Iran.

Saudi, Bahrain, Egypt and UAE cut ties with Qatar

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates announced on Monday they were severing diplomatic ties with Qatar, as they accused the Gulf state of supporting terrorism.

Saudi news agency SPA said Riyadh cut diplomatic ties and closed borders with its neighbour to “protect its national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism”.

Severing ties with Qatar not solution to regional crisis – Iran

A senior Iranian official said on Monday the decision by some Gulf Arab states and Egypt to sever diplomatic ties with Qatar would not help end the crisis in the Middle East. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Yemen and Egypt accused Qatar of supporting terrorism, opening up the worst rift in years among some of the most powerful states in the Arab world.

“The era of cutting diplomatic ties and closing borders is over… it is not a way to resolve crisis. These countries have no other option but to start regional dialogue,” Hamid Aboutalebi, deputy chief of staff of Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani, tweeted on Monday.

“What is happening is the preliminary result of the sword dance,” he said in an apparent reference to US President Donald Trump’s recent visit to Saudi Arabia. Trump and other US officials participated in a ceremonial sword dance in a trip to Saudi Arabia last month.

Major UAE airlines suspend all flights to Qatar

During the trip Trump singled out Iran as a key source of funding and support for militant groups. Iranian authorities have criticised a rising alliance between Washington and Riyadh against Tehran, saying it would further heighten crisis in the Middle East.

Sunni Kingdom Saudi Arabia and Shia-led Iran are at odds over what Riyadh sees as Tehran’s efforts to tighten its grip on Arab states, from Iraq to Lebanon, and Syria to Yemen.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1427775/pakistan-no-plans-cut-diplomatic-ties-qatar-fo/

I also think there's no chance of this leading to a war. I'm more interested to see if it will just blow over in a few months and it will be back to business as usual or it actually signals a fundamental change and Qatar adopts a new set of foreign relations. I think the first one is more likely.

No Yemen didn't cut ties with Qatar, a Saudi stooge living in Riyadh named 'President Hadi' has cut ties with Qatar. Those who are actually controlling Yemen and its capital actually are supporting Qatar.

Please don't spread fake news, Iraq, Tunisia and Pakistan have NOT cut ties with Qatar.
No Pakistan is not cutting any ties with anyone. But this situation is escalating fast at least on the diplomatic front. Pakistan is all for stability in the region and does not want to see another war being waged in the middle east.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom