What's new

Scrap MMRCA buy F-35 says Ajai Shukla

Bl[i]tZ;2242076 said:
With more delays, cost overruns countries around the world have been concerend about the cost of F-35. There should be no doubt in any one's mind about the capabilities of F-35 as Rafale and Typhoon are no match for F-35, since its is true multirole 5th gen fighter.

The reason why we shouldn't get into this F-35 predicament is

1. US will most probably not transfer any technology. The offsets of MMRCA is 50% and we need this technology to improve our aviation industry. 50% of $ 12 billion is $6 billion - which will be a huge boost.

2. It will dent our credibility as an arms purchaser. We asked these companies to wait for such a long time and now if we scrap the contract just because we took 4 years to evaluate and now we can see something better if we just delay it by 4-5 years. This is unbelievable.

3. There are 2400 F-35 orders to LM by USAF. LM won't be in a position to supply us these aircraft anytime soon and given that 2017 is the final deadline to retire Mig21s, we shouldn't get into a project yet under development.

4. Finally, do we really want to be dependent on an upredictable country like US for our strike aircrafts. I mean they could strangle us in case of a war by not supplying spares.

5. And I forgot to add, we have already invested capital and are engaged in the development of a 5th Gen fighter with Russia.

My 2c!

Add to it a lot of other factors as well, But LM promises quick deliveries so that part is taken care of.. can u list down any positives as well.

Mr Shukla seems to have omitted bits on the concerns of the F-35's capabilities in a multirole platform,cost overruns,manufacturing delays and hesitation even from the part of staunch friends of the US like Australia on the program.The best thing that India could follow at the current moment is let the F-35 roll out for good and get it for the Indian Navy in due course of time.

PS#The offset agreements are currently a sham,there are instances where India fulfilled offset obligations by carrying non beneficial ventures like procurement of raw materials while staying out fabrication and design.Don't think it will be a problem for Americans to comply for the F-35.

Mr Shukla seems to have omitted bits on the concerns of the F-35's capabilities in a multirole platform,cost overruns,manufacturing delays and hesitation even from the part of staunch friends of the US like Australia on the program.The best thing that India could follow at the current moment is let the F-35 roll out for good and get it for the Indian Navy in due course of time.

PS#The offset agreements are currently a sham,there are instances where India fulfilled offset obligations by carrying non beneficial ventures like procurement of raw materials while staying out fabrication and design.Don't think it will be a problem for Americans to comply for the F-35.

So delivery and offset taken care of..

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

2. It will dent our credibility as an arms purchaser.

Scrapping the mmrca is out of the question, Don't think India will do that.

It leaves us with these 2...

4. Finally, do we really want to be dependent on an upredictable country like US for our strike aircrafts. I mean they could strangle us in case of a war by not supplying spares.

5. And I forgot to add, we have already invested capital and are engaged in the development of a 5th Gen fighter with Russia.

A question to Ajai Shukla.... How did you got from US Govt/LM for writing this article?

A question to Ajai Shukla.... How did you got from US Govt/LM for writing this article?

Would definitely be on their payroll, Its legal India and China have a large number of lobbyists in the US as well.

what crap pot article is this, the US did put their bid of MRMAC and lost to the contenders and now they are ready to have a rerace for a tender that is in its closing phase. I dont understand the US ethics in doing business. Is this the attitude of a hooker who is willing to do anything to sell herself.
I can not blame the US more, but this Indian who wrote this article should be kicked in his a$$ 10 time daily for the rest of his life for writing crap articles.

@ illusion8,

I was only seconding your point of view.The MMRCA shouldn't be scrapped. However,India would do well in waiting out till the export versions of F-35 rolls out and evaluate it for the navy and it's carrier options.The F-35 isn't going to go to any of our rivals,we should keep that in mind as well.

F 35 is the way forward. The tech, the specs, the building of a blossoming friendship is in INdia's grasp. It is time for some in India to shed this old mentality of USA being an evil nation and grow up. Look past that and focus on the current and future geopolitical situation in the world. We would a strong country to back India and INdia only. Some may push Russia but the Ruskies are part of the problem coz they supply CHina with even more advanced tech. Don;t fool yourelf. China is treated differently than India when it comes to weapons plateforms and research by Russia.

Don't worry on that front, we are purchasing or in the process of purchasing a lot of equipment from the US. India and the US do have a lot of converging values and a strategic partnership is the way forward. People don't realize that India lobbied very hard for this relationship in the first place and a lot of sweat and money from India's side has gone into this through the years. US is in the midst of an economic turmoil and i really hope its temporary and as would know they seem weaker to everyone right now. US is the powerhouse and will hopefully be so.

On topic: Assuming that US does offer the F 35 to India, US needs to address a number of Indian concerns here.

Buying the F-35.. will undermine the AMCA.. as their functions and specifications may even overlap.

I agree but the AMCA is a decade or two away and India sorely needs to fill its gap with the best available option.

SANTRO

INDIA will not yet buy cutting edge USA weaponary. THE RELATIONSHIP though growing very fast is not yet ready for this.

F35 will not provide anythuing that IAF cannot get in PAK FA and MMRCA combined...

I agree but the AMCA is a decade or two away and India sorely needs to fill its gap with the best available option.

Perhaps the AMCA does not have to be a decade or two away.. and the F-35 isnt going to come any faster than in 8 years.

@ illusion8,

I was only seconding your point of view.The MMRCA shouldn't be scrapped. However,India would do well in waiting out till the export versions of F-35 rolls out and evaluate it for the navy and it's carrier options.The F-35 isn't going to go to any of our rivals,we should keep that in mind as well.

Indian navy is an excellent option for the F35, You are quite right India does need to evaluate it for the navy option, my guess is it would be a front runner for the IN.

Perhaps the AMCA does not have to be a decade or two away.. and the F-35 isnt going to come any faster than in 8 years.

I don't know about 8 years, would be better if LM gives us the delivery schedule if it is ordered, they seem to have said that they will take Indian delivery as a priority. And we could definetely push for a earlier time line.

Back
Top Bottom