What's new

Scrap MMRCA buy F-35 says Ajai Shukla

Why has Ajal Shukla completely skated around the PAK-FA/FGFA and AMCA? admittedly we are some way from seeing either plane in Indian skies but this is a similar case for any Chinese 5th gen fighter in their AF. And anyway the majority of the PLAAF is and will continue to be for the forseeable future made up of sub standard 4th/3rd gen fighters and this goes doubly so for PAF. Do we really expect China's first attempt at a world class fighter (5th gen at that) with no outside help apart from stolen blueprints ad tech to be any good? I personally think that like with most things Chinese it will be all style no substance. Either one of the two best 4.5++ gen fighters will e effective in protecting India's skies for the foreseeable future.

F-35B/C for IN would be great though.

I think if offered the IN should evaluate it pronto.

Shukla conveniently ignored FGFA factor and didnt have a single mentioning anywhere in the article about 5th gen compatibility.

F-35 is not of any value as of now due to high costs and complexities involving any critical technology know-how that can help AMCA.

FGFA and AMCA is the way forward with inputs from experience gained from LCA, experience to be gained from MRCA and PAK-FA.

I dont even want F-35 in navy now.

Interesting old line of thought from one of the most experienced and most qualified defence Journalist from India...
Only question is how much work will we get for F-35 and how much Real TOT is on offer from both companies..
However there is no doubt that F-35 is more advnaced than both and will be procured in much larger number, hence upgrade possibility is huge..

Interesting old line of thought from one of the most experienced and most qualified defence Journalist from India...
Only question is how much work will we get for F-35 and how much Real TOT is on offer from both companies..
However there is no doubt that F-35 is more advnaced than both and will be procured in much larger number, hence upgrade possibility is huge..

Nil work to be outsourced .. Job is a major issue in US.

Nil know how.. they even have issues with UK in that.

Yeah you are quite right we can haggle with the Americans regarding TOT. Might be a possibility that they might give some aid on AMCA as well. They did convince Israel on our behalf for a lot of help on a number of our programs.

But they are sitting on an order of 2400 jets to the USAF. Our facilities could aid in production. I agree tech transfer is a major issue but would prefer to hear from the horses mouth i.e. US and India.

Yeah you are quite right we can haggle with the Americans regarding TOT. Might be a possibility that they might give some aid on AMCA as well. They did convince Israel on our behalf for a lot of help on a number of our programs.

Yup like denying the AESA for LCA..

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/98343-u-s-pressures-israel-block-iai-aesa-radar-sale-india.html

what we have with Israel is totally bilateral and very much professional relationship.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

But they are sitting on an order of 2400 jets to the USAF. Our facilities could aid in production. I agree tech transfer is a major issue but would prefer to hear from the horses mouth i.e. US and India.

Our facilities have handfull with Su-30 mki production, LCA, LCA-mk-2, MRCA, AMCA, FGFA...

as per my understanding, MRCA was orignally concevied to boost our own defence sector industry and to develop technical know hows about every element of an advanced fighter jet..whatever americans are offering..most of the stuff is in off-the-shelf which only equip us with the equipments but not the technology...So, lets focus on LCA, gain some exepertize from MRCA and PAK-Fa and then aim to develop our own fighter on par with any American or European ongoing project ...

They were ready to start a production line in Japan. Dont know about us..
We should have let LM to re enter with F-35 or, kept F-18 in competition just to pressurize the two remaining...

Yup like denying the AESA for LCA..

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/98343-u-s-pressures-israel-block-iai-aesa-radar-sale-india.html

what we have with Israel is totally bilateral and very much professional relationship.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

Our facilities have handfull with Su-30 mki production, LCA, LCA-mk-2, MRCA, AMCA, FGFA...

That probably had something to do with the Russians as well. Again if on offer IAF and IN are the best to evaluate with reference to the Tech transfer here.

We should have let LM to re enter with F-35 or, kept F-18 in competition just to pressurize the two remaining...

India could be working on something in those lines with the US, Who knows we are just speculating here.

That probably had something to do with the Russians as well. Again if on offer IAF and IN are the best to evaluate with reference to the Tech transfer here.

They only transfer technologies if they are sure we will get it from some place else or develop it our own..

And the ToT is a long process in US with passing the agreement in their congress and all.

They have nt offered it anytime during the deal.

If F-18 was kept , they would have arm twisted the rest with political games.. remember the resigning of that ambassador and linking deal with future relations.. its better that we kept them away , they were like dictating terms to us during the last weeks of downselects.

They only transfer technologies if they are sure we will get it from some place else or develop it our own..

And the ToT is a long process in US with passing the agreement in their congress and all.

If that is the case than there is high probability of it going in India's favor. India does have a sizeable clout in Capitol Hill.

If that is the case than there is high probability of it going in India's favor. India does have a sizeable clout in Capitol Hill.

Naa .. i would rather see the ball's in our court rather than waiting for US congressional approval for each and every thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom