PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
Philippines renames South China Sea as West Philippine Sea

By Barbara Mae Dacanay, Philippines Bureau Chief
Published: 18:22 June 13, 2011
Gulf News

Manila: President Benigno Aquino has called on Filipinos to rename South China Sea as West Philippine Sea, and Reed Bank as Recto Bank, where China's ship had harassed a Philippine oil exploration vessel, to strengthen the country's claim on the contested areas, a senior official said.

The departments of Foreign Affairs and Defence, including the government-owned weather station, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) have been using "West Philippine Sea" in reference to the body of water faced by western Philippines, said Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda.

Even Vietnam has called the body of water as East Sea, said Lacierda.

In defence of the plan, Congressman Walden Bello, said to continue using "South China Sea" to refer to the body of water on Philippines' western area is "a misnomer," adding that using the old name is tantamount to honouring China's claim of the contested sea-lane.

The change of name was prompted by science and not by politics, explained Department of Science and Technology (DoST) Undersecretary Graciano Yumul.

Meteorological agencies usually name bodies of water based on their land-orientation, Yumul said, adding that weather reports from PAGASA have been using West Philippine Sea instead of the South China Sea.

Meanwhile, the 71,000 square kilometre Reed Bank, located within the West Philippine Sea will also be called Recto Bank, after former Philippine nationalist, Senator Claro M. Recto, said Lacierda.

"The administration has always asserted that it will dismiss out of hand any claim to what are considered integral parts of Philippine territory, such as the Recto Bank (Reed Bank) in western Palawan," Lacierda said.

The bank is located 250 kilometres from Palawan, in southwestern Philippines, said Lacierda, adding that it is 500 nautical miles from China.

The Philippines has upheld the United Nationals Conference on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) which mandates that a country has a claim on territories within 200 nautical miles.

When asked to explain the country's lack of naval power, Lacierda said, "The administration is determined to improve the capabilities of our military and Coast Guard to enable the effective patrol and protection of our national territory and exclusive economic zone."

The Philippines has also raised to the United Nations alleged seven confrontation in four months between Chinese and Filipinos on the contested Spratly Archipelago.

But Chinese ambassador in Manila, Liu Jianchao said the complaints were based in rumours.

He also reiterated China's claim of the entire South China Sea, including West Philippine Sea and the oil-rich Spratly Archipelago.

China, Taiwan, and Vietnam claim the entire body of water while the Philippines, Malaysia, and Brunei claim some parts of the Spratly Archipelago that fall on their boundaries.

gulfnews : Philippines renames South China Sea as West Philippine Sea

Is this the way you want to spend the limited time you have left on this earth?

Haha watch your mouth. Wouldn't it be a nice plot twist if he were already posting from the hereafter?

Damn I watch too much Twilight zone and Tales from the Darkside reruns.

Haha watch your mouth. Wouldn't it be a nice plot twist if he were already posting from the hereafter?

Damn I watch too much Twilight zone and Tales from the Darkside reruns.

Don't worry I have a lucky jade talismans, some old bum in Toronto promised me it will ward off spirits of the dead.

phillipine?nameing south china sea as wps?lol joke of the century.from now we can change name of phillipine as south china land

LOL on Pinoys.

From Wiki:
"The name Philippines is derived from that of King Philip II of Spain. Spanish explorer Ruy López de Villalobos during his expedition in 1542 named the islands of Leyte and Samar Felipinas after the then Prince of Asturias (Spain). Eventually the name Las Islas Filipinas would be used to cover all the islands of the archipelago."

What was native name of those islands before arrival of Spanish? People are ethnically Malays and there were Muslim Malay kingdoms before Spanish defeated them and converted natives to Christianity.

Is this the way you want to spend the limited time you have left on this earth?

My time is less limited than you think. My mother will celebrate her 98th birthday next month. On the other hand, I did not waste my youth on internet forums. I earned a PhD in Physics by age 26 and had my three children by the time I was 32. What have you accomplished in your short life?

My time is less limited than you think. My mother will celebrate her 98th birthday next month. On the other hand, I did not waste my youth on internet forums. I earned a PhD in Physics by age 26 and had my three children by the time I was 32. What have you accomplished in your short life?

Just graduate form a world top 30 (used to be top 20, arts dragged us down) school in chemistry, loving life and pwning noobs but then I'm just 20.

Just curious did your PhD come with plush toys or did you have to get those on a second try.

tumblr_leebhb8Lxv1qex36wo1_500.jpg

phillipine?nameing south china sea as wps?lol joke of the century.from now we can change name of phillipine as south china land

Philippines can call the area whatever they want, when I look at a world map at the supermarket, it's still called the South China Sea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom