What's new

Secularism is not against Islam

Adux

Reaction score
Secularism is not against Islam

By Mansoor Alam

N impression prevails among Muslims in general and ulema in particular that secularism is against Islam and that Islam is incompatible with democracy.

There is, however, no written or historical evidence in Islamic literature or history to substantiate this view. This general belief is a result of deliberate attempt by the Islamic orthodoxy to create suspicion and hostile sentiments amongst Muslim masses against these concepts so that they are able to keep their hold over their minds and block the path of Ijtehad, progress and modernisation of Muslim societies.

http://www.dawn.com/weekly/encounter/encounter3.htm

Unfortunately, contrary to the vision of the founders of Pakistan, Quaid-i-Azam, and Allama Iqbal, who wanted it to be a multicultural, tolerant, democratic and progressive state, ulema who had opposed its creation want it to be a theocracy and even a mention of the word ‘secular’ in Pakistan’s context makes them react violently.

In this backdrop it is essential to examine the meaning of the word ‘secular’ to determine if it really means what our ulema think it means with a hope that it will lead to its adoption in Pakistan’s polity and end the problem of communal hatred and violence that has plagued Pakistan throughout its existence, particularly during the last 30 years.

The common and prevalent meaning of the word ‘secular’ in the dictionaries of all the major languages of the Muslims -- Urdu, Arabic, Turkish and Persian -- is “ladeenia”, “ghair mazhabee”, or irreligious and against religion. In contrast, none of the western dictionaries of English, French, Spanish and Russian, etc., give this meaning to the word secular. They all give the following meanings: (1) of or relating to the world or temporal as distinguished from spiritual, (2) of or relating to the state as distinguished from the Church and (3) not formally related or controlled by a religious body.

In practice, all western countries allow complete freedom and equality to all religions. Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Parsees and followers of all other religions are allowed to build their places of worship and pray the way they like without interference from the state. This freedom is constitutionally guaranteed to them and protected by the judiciary.

To sum up, we see three main features of western secularism: (1) freedom of religion, i.e., no compulsion on beliefs; (2) equal status for all religions; (3) no interference by the state in religious matters or by the church in the affairs of the state or separation of the state and the church.

Now let us compare this with the 1400-year old teachings of Islam and the Sunnah of the holy Prophet (saw). In view of the constraint of space only one example of each is given here. As regards the first point, the Quran says in no uncertain terms “there is no compulsion in religion” (Al-Baqra 2: 256) and tell the non-believers “to you be your religion, and to me my religion”, (Surah Al-Kafroon 109).

On the second point, it tells the Prophet to tell others that “we (Muslims) make no distinction between various prophets” (2: 136).

On the third, it tells the Prophet and “those who believe (Muslims) and those who are Jews and Christians and Sabians (star worshippers)… all those who believe in Allah and do good deeds, will be rewarded on the day of Judgment (Al-Baqra 2:62). The Quran also repeatedly tells the Prophet that he had been sent only as a messenger and warner and not as the guardian of any one’s faith, “and you (O Muhammad) are not a guardian over them” Al-Shura 42:6.

Accordingly, one of the first major decisions the Prophet took as the ruler of the Islamic state of Medina was to sign a covenant “Meesaq-e-Medina” with the Jews and others, which guaranteed them complete freedom of religion and equality with Muslims.

In his book The Spirit of Islam, Ameer Ali quotes the following from the book of Al Hisham: “The Jews who attach themselves to our commonwealth shall be protected from insults and vexations, they shall have an equal right with our own people to our assistance and good offices. The Jews of various branches shall form with the Muslims one complete nation. They shall practise their religion as freely as Muslims, their allies and clients shall enjoy security and freedom”.

Later when the Prophet conquered Makkah in 630 CE he granted amnesty to all its residents and did not force any one to convert or die. It is true that Hazrat Abu Bakr (RA) declared war on the renegades of Hijaz who wanted to create chaos and anarchy on the death of the Prophet (saw) but he did not show intolerance towards the people of other faiths.

And Caliph Umar (RA) declined to pray in the Church of Sepulcher, though asked to do so by the Archbishop of Jerusalem, on the ground that later Muslims may turn it into a mosque (The Battle for God by Karen Armstrong). Thus Islam is the first and perhaps the only religion to preach and practise secularism during the lifetime of the Prophet and Khulfa-e-Rashedin when it was at the height of its power and could have forced itself on the people of other religions.

Similarly in regard to democracy the western perception that Islam is incompatible with democracy is actually based on the fact that a few Islamic countries today practise democracy. But that has nothing to do with Islam which shows a preference for democracy over other forms of government.

This is evident from the fact that the Prophet was chosen as ruler of Medina by its people. He had not conquered the city and imposed himself as a ruler. Then he never took the title of king even after he had conquered the city of Makkah and brought all of Hijaz under his rule.

Secondly, Allah did not instruct him to nominate his successor before his death as He had done, according to Torah/the Old Testament, in the case of Joshua before the death of Hazrat Musa (AS) and latter in the case of Saul and David (Hazrat Daud AS). Thirdly, the Prophet himself did not nominate a successor though he could have easily done so and left it to the people to select his successor.

Fourthly, the first four caliphs of Islam were chosen by the people or their representatives and none of them was anointed king or tried to establish a dynasty by appointing his son his successor. This practice was changed by Hazrat Muawwiya, who became the fifth caliph after Hazrat Ali (RA) and appointed his son Yazid as his successor in his own life time.

In comparison to Islam, the two other Abrahamic religions, Judaism and Christianity, were highly intolerant of the people of other religions. The Torah and Jewish history is full of stories of killings of the people of other faiths by the believers who had even crucified Jesus Christ on the charge of blasphemy though he was only trying to reform Judaism which had been highly corrupted by its religious leaders.

In turn, the Christians, once they had gained power following the conversion of Roman Emperor Constantine in 323 CE, began to take revenge and persecuted the Jews for over two thousand years until the Second World War (1939-45).

The Christians also acted with great cruelty and barbarity towards the Muslims during the Crusades.

Western Christian historians have themselves given graphic accounts of the merciless killings and raping of hundreds of thousands of Muslims and Jews and wholesale pillage of their cities. Even today, in this age of enlightenment and human rights, Israel has been killing tens of thousands of Palestinians irrespective of their age and gender and destroying their properties indiscriminately.

To sum up, Islam was the first religion to preach and practise secularism as far back as the 7th century CE when the law of the jungle was the norm of the day. Therefore, it is a great irony that the very people who consider themselves its guardians should denounce secularism as “la-deeniat”. Similarly, Islam is not incompatible with democracy and, though it has not prescribed any political system, it favours selection of rulers by people, which is the most important characteristic of democratic system .

Finally, the history of Christianity and our own history should leave us in no doubt that only secularism will help us rid of sectarian and communal strife that has played a major role in making Islam weak and ineffective as it is today.

The writer is a former ambassador.

An article:
The Meaning of Al-Baqarah 2: 62

Please explain the message/directive of Al-Baqarah 2: 62.

MAHMOOD A. KHAWAJA.

The referred verse reads as:

“Indeed those who have believed [now] and those who [previously] became Jews and the Christians and the Sabeans, whoever [truly] believed in God and the Final Day and was pious in his actions, shall get his reward with God. He shall neither have any fears [of the future] nor any regrets [of the past].”

The particular portion of Surah Al-Baqarah in which the verse is placed addresses the Banu Israel. It deals with the negation of one of the beliefs of the Banu Israel who lived in the Arabian Peninsula at the time of the revelation of the Qur’an. The Banu Israel held the belief that because they have been the chosen people of God in this life; it automatically implies that they shall be successful in the hereafter as well. In this connection, the Qur’an has referred to their belief that even if they deserve any punishment, their punishment shall not last for more than a few – numbered – days. Moreover, they believed that success in the hereafter is the right only of the Banu Israel. Surah Al-Baqarah has negated both these beliefs of the Banu Israel.

Keeping the above explanation in mind, the implication of the referred verse should be quite clear. This verse is a part of the negation of the belief of the Banu Israel according to which they held that success in the hereafter is only their right. In this particular context, the verse says that success in the hereafter is not the sole right of any particular creed or nation. According to this verse, all those peoples who are followers of any of the prophets of God (all the nations mentioned in the verse were followers of a prophet of God) shall be successful in the hereafter if they truly believe in God and the Day of Judgment and have the necessary good deeds that qualify them for success in the hereafter. If that is not the case, then their affiliation with any particular creed shall not save him from God’s punishment.

Furthermore, it should also be kept in mind that one of the obvious inherent qualifications of success in the hereafter is that with belief in God, the Day of Judgment and the doing of good deeds the person has not been guilty of any such sin which deserves everlasting punishment of Hellfire. For instance, murder, fornication and shirk (associating partners with God), according to the Qur’an are sins, which shall doom a person to everlasting hell. Another one of such disqualifications for success in the hereafter is to knowingly reject a messenger or prophet of God.

Thus, the complete implication of the referred verse is that all those people, who ascribe to one or the other of God’s messengers, who truly believe in God and the Day of Judgment and who are pious in their deeds, if they are not guilty of any such sins that disqualify them from success in the hereafter (including knowingly rejecting any of the messengers of God) shall stand successful.

I hope this helps. In case any aspect of my answer remains unclear, please feel free in writing back to me at your own convenience.

May the Almighty guide us all to the path of His liking.

Regards

The Learner

Rebel,

Dont take a swipe at me, it is from your newspaper dawn. I thought it was of debate value, especially since i saw some other saw forum going guns blazing on it.

All the article is saying is that holy quran and Sunnah can be mis-represented to the common folk, so that a few politicians and mullah's can make some dough and enjoy the echelons of power. I hope you understand the good intentions of the writer

Rebel,

Dont take a swipe at me, it is from your newspaper dawn. I thought it was of debate value, especially since i saw some other saw forum going guns blazing on it.

All the article is saying is that holy quran and Sunnah can be mis-represented to the common folk, so that a few politicians and mullah's can make some dough and enjoy the echelons of power. I hope you understand the good intentions of the writer

I can assure you no one is taking a swipe at you :?: , but i can also make a point that secularists and islam just dont mix. You are either religious or non religious. If Islam is really understood and read properly, it shows the good treatment of everyone including non muslims. :cool1: The muslim armies have a duty to protect its non muslim civillians also. Muslims pay zakat (charity) each year and non muslims pay jizyah tax (a lower amount). Secularism is merely pan capitalist movement as we can see about our president. Hope you can understand... :blink:

I rather live in a secular country than some fundoo religious one; With religious state examples that we have at present, god damn i am happy this way

pan capitalist movement..lol
where do you reside rebel

laugh all you will but what i say is true! I hate communism/capitalism/secularism/racism...

Islam is a very morden religon, why because it is the religon of God. Allah has answered everything in islam. Out of 1400 years, muslims have ruled about 1000 years in some part of the world. Be it the mughal empire or the ottoman empire. When muslims ruled over spain for 800 years, never was a jew killed or harassed for what he belivied in, infact even jews admit that during islamic rule were they treated propely, they were given someof the highest jobs of their times. Islam was never against any religon. And islam is very basic and modest. But for some reason the west wants to degrade it

As for democercy, islam very well gives one freedom or speech and freedom of expression. As for human rights, not only did the prophet encouraged human rights, he also encouraged animal rights and other rights. There is a reason why islam is the fastest growing religon in the world

I will stay out of this thread, cuz i dont agree with any of you, my views would be likely not a pleasent one

[R]e[b]e[L];49880 said:
laugh all you will but what i say is true! I hate communism/capitalism/secularism/racism...

And I am not a Muslim, and i hate Fundo Islamic/Christian/Hindu States, I rather be were everyone is treated equal, The very fact Muslims cant accept seculatism, which means letting other people be, is the reason they have so many problems around the world, It is always MY WAY OF THE HIGHWAY i. Why should I follow anyother religion's dikats. IS my religion not good enough, Or have people forgotten the value of respecting in other people's belief.
God is not a School teacher with a stick, I see him like a mother with compassion, who forgives his child for his mistakes and values his child not when he prays 5 times or go to the church or temple, but when he loves a fellow human being. I God has a greater heart than us petty human beings and he doesnt hold grudges, he is greater person than that

Islamisim for a non-Islamic person is as destructive as you oput capitalism/communism etc

I bid adios from the thread

[R]e[b]e[L];49880 said:

Actually Islam promotes democratic system.

Let us summarise the type of State and society which Islam envisaged as an ideal pattern and which it tried to realise within the limitation of an early era, and the reliefs which it was based upon:

(1) Sovereignty belongs to God alone Whose chief attributes are Wisdom, Justice and Love. He desires human beings to assimilate these attributes in their thoughts, words and deeds.

(2) Though ultimately God moulds destinies, He has endowed man with free-will so that he may freely attune his will to the will and purpose of God.

(3) In matters of faith, God has compelled nobody to believe; the ways of righteousness and their opposites have been clearly indicated. Anyone may believe or disbelieve and bear the consequences. There must not be any compulsion, in the matter of faith. An imposed faith is no faith at all. Everybody should be free to follow his own way of life, either because of personal preference or because of his belonging to a community, provided his conduct is not subversive of fundamental morality or disruptive of the peace of the realm or does not trespass on the legitimate freedom of others.

(4) An Islamic State is not theocratic but ideological. The rights and duties of its citizens shall be determined by the extent to which they identify themselves with this ideology.

(5) Non-Muslims can live peacefully as citizens of a Muslim realm. They are free to not take part in the defence of the State, and in lieu of this exemption pay a poll tax which shall entitle them to complete protection of life, property and liberty in the practice of their faith. If they are prepared to defend the realm as loyal citizens, they shall be exempt from this tax.

(6) There shall be no racial discrimination within a Muslim realm. People become high or low only because of their character.

(7) All avenues of economic exploitation must be blocked so that wealth does not circulate only in the hands of the few.

(8) A person shall be free to earn as much as he can by legitimate means, without exploitation or fraud. But wealth, even legitimately acquired beyond a certain minimum, shall be subject to a tax on capital. This shall be an inalienable part of a Muslim polity [state].

(9) Women shall enjoy an independent economic status. All their inherited wealth and their personal earnings shall be their own property which they can dispose of as they please.

(10) A truly Islamic State cannot be a monarchical state. It must be a democratic republic in which the president is elected by a free vote of the community on the basis of his capacity and character.

(11) It is incumbent on the ruler to have a council of advisers and consultants for purposes of legislation or major decisions. They shall be chosen on grounds of their wisdom, experience and integrity. The mode of their selection is left to circumstances. In matters not pertaining to faith, non-Muslims are not debarred from consultation.

(12) There shall be no special class of priests in an Islamic society, though persons leading [a] better religious life and possessing [a] better knowledge of religious affairs have a legitimate claim to honour. They shall enjoy no special privileges, legal or economic.

(13) There shall be perfect equality of opportunity and equality before [the] law. The law shall make no distinction between a Muslim and a non-Muslim either in civil or [in] criminal cases. Every citizen shall have the right to seek a judicial decision - even against the head of the state.

There were many instances of this in early Islam. The Khalifah 'Umar appeared in the Court as a party in a suit and the judge stood up as a matter of respect, at which the Khalifah said that he had started with an unjust act honouring one party more than the other; how could the other party have confidence in his sense of justice?

(14) The judiciary was made independent of the executive. In periods of monarchical absolutism, when the judiciary began to be influenced by the men in power, the great jurist Imam Abu Hanifah preferred to be whipped and sent to prison [rather] than accept the post of a judge. He was imbued with the original spirit of Islam which desired uncorrupted justice between man and man. "Do not refrain from justice even if it goes against you" (Qur'an 4:136); "Let not the hostility of a party tend to make you unjust towards it."

Though I prefer No religion telling how Secularisim and Government should be run,
In what you have written there is Super Uber muslim religion whose principles should be accepted by the non-muslims, It is not true secularism

Anyways, Its a step forward for you guys and i am happy about that
That was a real good post Rahmann . Repped you for that

There is no big deal in making state laws that haven't been formulated by an Islamic jury. Because if the laws are just and actually mean something it shouldn't be against Islam and life can go on.

In India the meaning of secularism is lost upon them. They have a few nitbits for appeasement of religious groups of the minority with which they justify them being secular. I think it's nothing more than an escape that their government has created. Sort of an excuse. The state itself literally kills 2000 Muslims and then keeps up their secular posture by sponsoring money for Muslim pilgrimage in other parts of the country.

Secularism means, separation of any religious clergy and religious doctrine from state laws. That's it. Liking people of other religions is not secularism as it is portrayed in India.

So can Islam allow a group of credible (qualified in civic, social and political matters) people formulated laws that don't emanate from an Islamic doctrine as its founding stone? It can happen and the laws CAN receive a pat on the back by Muslim clergy as well. No religion would defy good laws.

There is no big deal in making state laws that haven't been formulated by an Islamic jury. Because if the laws are just and actually mean something it shouldn't be against Islam and life can go on.

In India the meaning of secularism is lost upon them. They have a few nitbits for appeasement of religious groups of the minority with which they justify them being secular. I think it's nothing more than an escape that their government has created. Sort of an excuse. The state itself literally kills 2000 Muslims and then keeps up their secular posture by sponsoring money for Muslim pilgrimage in other parts of the country.

Secularism means, separation of any religious clergy and religious doctrine from state laws. That's it. Liking people of other religions is not secularism as it is portrayed in India.

So can Islam allow a group of credible (qualified in civic, social and political matters) people formulated laws that don't emanate from an Islamic doctrine as its founding stone? It can happen and the laws CAN receive a pat on the back by Muslim clergy as well. No religion would defy good laws.

Where did India come in this? Nice try to twist out of yours, Religion should not define secularism, then there is no meaning to it, Humanity should. And Please stop harping about Gujurat, everybody has accepted here about that hell hole. Save Face by pointing to other people;s fault. How original

And I am not a Muslim, and i hate Fundo Islamic/Christian/Hindu States, I rather be were everyone is treated equal, The very fact Muslims cant accept seculatism, which means letting other people be, is the reason they have so many problems around the world, It is always MY WAY OF THE HIGHWAY i. Why should I follow anyother religion's dikats. IS my religion not good enough, Or have people forgotten the value of respecting in other people's belief.
God is not a School teacher with a stick, I see him like a mother with compassion, who forgives his child for his mistakes and values his child not when he prays 5 times or go to the church or temple, but when he loves a fellow human being. I God has a greater heart than us petty human beings and he doesnt hold grudges, he is greater person than that

Islamisim for a non-Islamic person is as destructive as you oput capitalism/communism etc

I bid adios from the thread

Muslims ruled over india for about a 1000 years, tell how many of hindus did they kill dring that time??? Todayt he thing is that muslim world isnt what it usd to be, most of us are uneducated and only know how to fire a ak-47. Hope you get my point.

As for your last comment. Yes God infact is like a mother, infact God is more mercifull then a mother, and the mercy of a mother for her childern is infinate, so how the mercy of GOD. :agree: But because of that, we thak our mother by listening to her and obeying her. Same thing for God, we thank him for what he gave and and ask for forgivness

Back
Top Bottom