What's new

Shanghai tops global school tests, UK 'stagnates'

If they come to test Chinese students in Shandong or Hunan province,they will get a even higher scores than Shanghai.

Waiting for people of the coming super duper power to dismiss PISA as not important. Only silly developed and rich countries take it seriously. :D
Well I think PISA is not so important, it only shows the academic potential of students, nothing more.

Last edited:
If they come to test Chinese students in Shandong or Hunan province,they will get a even higher scores than Shanghai.

Well I think PISA is not so important, it only shows the academic potential of students, nothing more.

Agree. Those provinces in less developed areas focus more on math, science while eastern provinces and esp. big cities put more emphasis on arts and other humanities subjects.

I think what China in esp. those poor provinces need put more emphasis on holistic education. Majority of people are not gonna be scientists or even engineers, so general humanities education can improve citizenship, manners, analytical independent thought more effectively.

I always thought PISA tests must be damn hard for the Chinese on this forum had made me believe so..I have just tried few sample PISA questions on OECD forum..They were damn easy for my standard. I am pretty sure a 16 yr Indian student preparing for any competitive exam ( let alone JEE) could answer them in their sleep.

Remind me never to take IQ test results (Chinese super lame weapon on Indians) seriously again..

Agree. Those provinces in less developed areas focus more on math, science while eastern provinces and esp. big cities put more emphasis on arts and other humanities subjects.

I think what China in esp. those poor provinces need put more emphasis on holistic education. Majority of people are not gonna be scientists or even engineers, so general humanities education can improve citizenship, manners, analytical independent thought more effectively.
nah,that's just your biased guess.12 provinces had attended in PISA 2009,shanghai students got the best score in math and science,zhejiang students got the second best score.The hainan and yunnan province get the worst of worst score that about 100 points lower than what shanghai has got.the cruelty of test that the students of those poor provinces must face maybe greater than what those students live in wealthy province have to face.But that doesn't necessarily means that they can get a better score than shanghai students at all.It simply means those poor provinces don't have enough education resources that their people must go through a though test to go to other province that they can get better education.

Last edited:
East Asian countries top global league tables for educational performance

China's Shanghai region easily beats rest of world in maths, reading and science, according to OECD education rankings

Richard Adams, education editor

Chinese-schoolchildren-009.jpg

Shanghai’s lead was so clear that the results were the equivalent of its students having had three additional years of schooling, the OECD estimates. Photograph: Stringer Shanghai/REUTERS
Asia's rising economic success has helped China's hi-tech corridor to take a clear lead in the latest OECD international education rankings.

The results of the OECD's programme for international student assessment – a triennial exam for 15-year-olds known as Pisa – show that China's Shanghai region easily tops the rest of the world in maths, reading and science.

Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea made up the rest of the top five for maths, followed by the Chinese island of Macao.

Elsewhere, Pisa results were a further disappointment for the US, which saw its maths rank fall to 36th place overall, worse than its 2009 performance, which President Obama dubbed a "Sputnik moment" for American education. In reading, the US fell seven places, to 24th, and in science the country came in 28th, down five.

Australia saw a precipitous fall in its maths ranking, from 15th in 2009 to 19th in 2012, as it was overtaken by Poland and the new entrant, Vietnam, which appears in the OECD tables for the first time. Australia's reading score was little changed but its performance in science slipped from 10th to 16th, tied with Macao.

Finland was the highest placed European country, with a top-five performance in science, while Ireland was sixth-equal with Taiwan in reading. In maths, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and the Netherlands were the only European entrants in the top 10.

The UK's performance was virtually unchanged from its 2009 results, when its international rankings suffered with the addition of higher-placed new entrants such as Shanghai. It ranked 20th overall for science, 26th for maths and 23rd for reading – on a par with France and the US, and close to the OECD average for reading and maths.

Andreas Schleicher, the OECD's deputy director for education and skills and co-ordinator of the Pisa programme, said the success of education systems such as Shanghai's was the result of an emphasis on selecting teachers, as well as prioritising investment in teacher training and development.

Shanghai's lead was so clear that the results were the equivalent of its students having had three additional years of schooling, the OECD estimates.

Outside Asia, Brazil, Germany and Mexico have all shown consistent improvement, with Germany, Mexico and Turkey winning praise for improving the performance of their weakest performing students, many of whom were from disadvantaged backgrounds.

David Spieghalter, the Winton professor of the public understanding of risk at the University of Cambridge, said: "Pisa explores many factors associated with country performance but occasionally seem hasty in assigning reasons for change – we can't decide causality from this study, and we should be very cautious in the lessons to be learned."

Spieghalter added: "If Pisa measures anything, it is the ability to do Pisa tests. Aligning policy along a single performance indicator can be damaging. We need to look at the whole picture."

The OECD administered the standardised tests at the end of last year in 34 countries and a total of 64 regions, to 500,000 15-year-olds.

According to the findings, girls performed worse than boys in maths exams in 37 regions and countries, although in the majority of cases the gap was small. In most countries the gender gap favoured girls in reading, while in science there was little difference.

Schleicher said that the OECD found no evidence from its international analysis that competition between private, state or charter-style schools – free schools, in the UK – had any impact on raising standards.

"You would expect that systems with greater choice would come out better because you expect competition to raise performance of the high performers and lower performers, and put out of the market schools and systems that do not succeed. But in fact, you don't see a correlation," Schleicher said.

"Competition alone is not a predictor for better outcomes. And the UK is a good example: a highly competitive school system but still only an average performer."

Instead, Schleicher said parents had higher priorities in choosing schools than simply academic results, according to the OECD's surveys of parental opinion.

"The most important thing for parents is not the performance of the school but what they call a safe school environment. And that is true for privileged and disadvantaged parents," he said.

Here comes an Indian student. So you think all 50 states from thparticipated? And all Indian states participated in the previous PISA?

Thanks for unwittingly supporting my argument that the results are not representative.

Going by the sample size of this forum, just does not add up.

Thanks for unwittingly supporting my argument that the results are not representative.

Going by the sample size of this forum, just does not add up.

Thanks for unwittingly mocking your own argument. PISA is never meant to be all representative, every country selects the strongest state/city to carry the country's flag.

In the case of India, the top two states with highest Gross Enrollment (GER) in primary and upper primary were chosen. Yet Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh came in second last in previous PISA. Just imagine if other states with lower enrollment rate were tasked to take PISA? India average would be even lower.

Last edited:

Since their PM has said this

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News
Mumbai, October 6
When we talk of a resurgent Asia, people think of the great changes that have come about in Shanghai. I share this aspiration with the Chief Minister and senior Congress leaders to transform Mumbai in the next five years in such a manner that people would forget about Shanghai and Mumbai will become a talking point,” the PM said. “I have a dream that we can do it. I believe we can become number one through modernisation, expansion and development and make Mumbai the number one city in our country.”

I dont know why india did not select the above city as their representative just like we have Shanghai

( the 2012 test was done on other Chinese students as well. The results will be released by the organisation later)

This is still haunting my friend's cat today:

Agni-V, India's 'China Killer'

I don't understand. I just did the sample questions the final one of which apparently only 30% of Shanghai students got correct.

Apparently Indian students who can do this:

http://jeeadv.iitkgp.ac.in/images/2013p1.pdf

Can't do;

Jill rode 2km in 6 mins and 5 kilometres in 9 minutes, what's her average speed in km/h? (Not exact numbers but you get the point.)

WTF!?

There's something fishy going on here.

I don't understand. I just did the sample questions the final one of which apparently only 30% of Shanghai students got correct.

Can't do;

Jill rode 2km in 6 mins and 5 kilometres in 9 minutes, what's her average speed in km/h? (Not exact numbers but you get the point.)

WTF!?

Apperently, you are not 15 years old, are you?

Or maybe there is a conspiracy within the OECD against India.

Apperently, you are not 15 years old, are you?

Or maybe there is a conspiracy within the OECD against India.

Yeah I thought about that.

The conspiracy call was just me being silly.

But honestly, without your bias, go through that IIT entrance paper and tell me that a person who can answer even 2 of those questions will have trouble with the sample question. (So discounting the high achievers)

FYI people start prepping for the ITT JEE exams from 15 y/o onwards, some even earlier.

Can't do;

WTF!?

You're talking from a position of immense privilege and completely oblivious to how the rest of your countrymen live like. Do you realize that India has a 74% literacy rate? What percentage of the population do IIT hopefuls actually comprise?

Back
Top Bottom