What's new

Shiv Sena renews attack on Pakistan cricketers

Xeric

RETIRED THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Shiv Sena renews attack on Pakistan cricketers - News - News - The Times of India Cricket

16 May, 2008 1452hrs IST, PTI

MUMBAI: Hours before the crucial IPL match between Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders, the Shiv Sena on Friday renewed its attack on cricket players from Pakistan in one of the teams.

"They (Pakistanis) are the enemies of the entire nation and we have been opposing their playing here for many years now," Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray told reporters here.

When asked about the party's plan of action for the match this time, Thackeray limited himself to saying, "Let the others speak out against them as well."

Over the last two decades, Sena has been opposing Pakistani teams and has indulged in tactics like digging cricket pitches at venues before the match due to which Mumbai has not hosted a single match between archrivals India and Pakistan for many years now.

now lets go back an think again....indians have the cheeks to call only the Muslims as extremists.. :partay:

Shiv Sena renews attack on Pakistan cricketers*-*News*-*News*-*The Times of India Cricket

16 May, 2008 1452hrs IST, PTI

MUMBAI: Hours before the crucial IPL match between Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders, the Shiv Sena on Friday renewed its attack on cricket players from Pakistan in one of the teams.

"They (Pakistanis) are the enemies of the entire nation and we have been opposing their playing here for many years now," Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray told reporters here.

When asked about the party's plan of action for the match this time, Thackeray limited himself to saying, "Let the others speak out against them as well."

Over the last two decades, Sena has been opposing Pakistani teams and has indulged in tactics like digging cricket pitches at venues before the match due to which Mumbai has not hosted a single match between archrivals India and Pakistan for many years now.

now lets go back an think again....indians have the cheeks to call only the Muslims as extremists.. :partay:

I have as yet to see any of them carry out an assassination or a bombing against any member of the Pak cricket team. They're certainly free to air their opinions despite it being obvious that nobody gives a hoot. Heck the IPL has even employed Shoaib Akthar, who was once penalized for being sexually active.

Also, if you've read the news, the noose is closing around the necks of the Thackeray clan despite their long standing near royal status.

I have as yet to see any of them carry out an assassination or a bombing against any member of the Pak cricket team. They're certainly free to air their opinions despite it being obvious that nobody gives a hoot. Heck the IPL has even employed Shoaib Akthar, who was once penalized for being sexually active.

Also, if you've read the news, the noose is closing around the necks of the Thackeray clan despite their long standing near royal status.

dont limit yourself to cricket only...they havent done it because no one allows them to do it as these matches are under the eyes of the entire world. The level of security that has been emplaced and these shivis are not dumb enough to go all out as this is only going to harm their already shaggy reputation. See yourself....
The Shiv Sena has also been accused of orchestrating violence against Muslims. The Sena is alleged by some to have played an active role in the riots in Mumbai following the demolition of the Babri Mosque in 1992 in the north-Indian holy city of Ayodhya. On 23 January 1993, the then Congress-led Government of Maharashtra appointed Justice B.N. Srikrishna (then a sitting Judge of the Bombay High Court) to head a one-man commission with the task of investigating the riots. The Commission indicted the Sena for its direct involvement in coordinating the anti-Muslim riots, and accused Thackeray of "commanding his loyal Shiv Sainiks to retaliate by organized attacks against Muslims." However, Thackeray was absolved of all criminal charges in July 2000 after seven years of judicial proceedings. In an interview in 1998, He has since reiterated his desire to establish a "Hindustan for Hindus" and "bring Islam in this country down to its knees".

Thackeray added, "Maharashtra cannot fight Islam alone. We need the Hindu community to unite and fight Islam."

These are the things only mentioned in black n white..what abt the gujrat massacre..??

Meray Bhai.
These are bigots and exist in every country. not just in India. In Britain there is the BNP, in Pakistan there are various Mullahs who propogate violence even against a faction of their own sect and so on and so forth. Yes if Shiv sena has said something that is contrary to the national spirit of the nation it is condemnable, But may I most humbly remind you of a glorious phrase by one of our Prophets Essah(PBUH)
"Let he who has never sinned throw the first stone"
The problem that we have is not India and Shiv sena but the bigots inside our own motherland who should be gotten rid of before we can lift our fingers at others. I hope you understand the sentiments that I want to convey to you.
WaSalam
Araz

The problem with many is that they jump at anything that is sensational.

Shiv Sena is not only against the Mos.lem (and so, disabuse yourself of such assumed grandeur), they are also against all non Maharastrians in Maharastra.

In short, they are totally a deranged lot, who likes to stay in the limelight by being utterly odious.

Uddhav Thakeray, the current leader, who gave the statement, was roundly criticised in all TV channels immediately through panel discussions etc.

Shiv Sena, itself is in deep trouble since it has split between Bal Thakersay's son, Uddhav and his nephew, Raj.

The elections are coming and so each is trying his best to keep themselves relevant!!

Uddhav, by this statement, has dug his grave, since cricket is a passion in India and the Indians will be damned if Pak players are banned since they are playing so well.

Right now, the Shiv Sena is doing some backtracking and trying to claim he never meant what the media has written or said!!

The most useless lot of people are these Shiv Senaites!

And anyway, they are irrelevant in India except to some extent in Mumbai!

Shiv Sena is a party on the decline. It's not even a national party; most of its "strength" comes from some pockets of Maharashtra and hooliganism. Mind you, the most powerful political entity in Maharashtra is Sharad Pawar (formerly Congress, now NCP) and not the Thackereys. Their (Shiv Sena's) statements do not echo my country's view/policy.

welcome to secular india, shiv sena is on the decline but bjp, rss is not.
a letter published in the jang newspaper published in london on friday 16th may, from the uk indian muslim comitee, describes the appalling condition of muslim, and the continued harasment and jailing of muslim youth for no reason and jailing them after kangaroo courts. it is very unusual for indian muslims ever to speak out against their country as on the whole they are virulently anti pakistani. infact a reporter from the daily millett gazette was arrested for ivestigating this as the mainstream media and by extension the majority dont care. the daily millet is a delhi based journal.
the hatred of pakistani players is just a sympton of a hatred of muslims per se. incidently all arabic satelite channels are banned in india after pressure from us and israel in 2006. im not sure if it is still on.

The RSS is not a political organisation, the BJP is. I don't know whether the RSS is "on a rise" or not, but I can say the BJP is currently facing "interesting times."

My country is secular in that its constitution provides enough room for every religion to flourish. Does extremism exist in Indian society, yes it does. Is it dominant, NO.

In my country, people vote whichever party they feel is going to do the most for them. Shiv Sena was voted out of power because the majority of the voters did not feel they did a great job for them. In some states, the BJP is currently governing; in some states the BJP is in the opposition. In some states the BJP is virtually non-existent. The number of political parties in my country is in thousands, and most of them do not hold sway beyond local elections. Mind you democracy is not just about electing the national government; it is also about electing local and state/provincial leaders. Every political party in India will make such statements (throw them out, kill them, traitors, etc) some time or the other to amass short-term political gains. You think the Congress or other parties are any different? You think only the Muslims are at the receiving end of this banter? You think Hindus (upper caste / lower caste) do not have to face the same rhetoric? For that matter, the Sikhs, Christians, etc. don't? Every "group" does. Moreover, if it’s not on the basis of religion, then it is on the basis of caste, on the basis of language, on the basis of appearance, on the basis of family name. You are right in your observation that segregationism exists in India, but what you entirely fail to grasp is that my country, increasingly, is seeing development as the yardstick by which politicians, regardless of their views, are being measured. Does segregation exists is the minds of some of my countrymen? Yes, but then there are plenty who do not give a hoot about such discrimination. And you know what; the later kind is becoming larger in number. That is what the BJP has realised and that is why it is adapting and changing itself. This statement does not mean that the BJP or other parties which according to you are anti-Islam are "pure," it means that changes are happening. Same goes for every other political party. As far as the Shiv Sena is concerned, its losses in elections speak for themselves.

What really bothers me most is that why are members in this forum overly concerned about the lives of my countrymen? As much as I'm glad, why is the concern so narrow and reeking of prejudice and opportunism? If I’m not wrong, your country has pretty urgent matters on its hands, why not focus therein? Further, do I quote every line from some two-bit politician who segregates on the basis of religion or nationality, and then pass it on as the "Face of Pakistan?" Then why is it that my country is subjected to it? We claim and aim to be secular and we are trying hard to get there. We are not there yet, and once there, we’ll have to struggle to keep it that way. Democracy, equality, liberty, justice, secularism, etc. are not static; these forces are dynamic and require constant efforts to maintain. Why do some of the people in this forum believe that one man’s opinion is what a nation of 1Bn+ thinks?

Why generalize that "Indians have the cheeks to call only the Muslims as extremists?" Further, to add insult to injury, place a smiley there as a crude joke.

By the way, there are plenty of Indians who are Muslims too.

welcome to secular india, shiv sena is on the decline but bjp, rss is not.
a letter published in the jang newspaper published in london on friday 16th may, from the uk indian muslim comitee, describes the appalling condition of muslim, and the continued harasment and jailing of muslim youth for no reason and jailing them after kangaroo courts. it is very unusual for indian muslims ever to speak out against their country as on the whole they are virulently anti pakistani. infact a reporter from the daily millett gazette was arrested for ivestigating this as the mainstream media and by extension the majority dont care. the daily millet is a delhi based journal.
the hatred of pakistani players is just a sympton of a hatred of muslims per se. incidently all arabic satelite channels are banned in india after pressure from us and israel in 2006. im not sure if it is still on.

In the neverneverland, Shiv Sena appears to be a bugbear and mosquitoes worry the people. In India, mosquitoes like the Shiv Sena are a nuisance, but not a worry! They can be damned as easily as they raise their voice.

I am glad that the UK Mos.lems know more of India than Indians.

As far as Kangaroo courts are concerned, must I say more? The democratic govt of Pakistan has indicated enough! The CJ was a political hack and so he and his cohorts were sacked. Political hacks, but then Musharraf was also not right or so it appears, to throw out those who are against him and playing politics!! And the democratic govt knows no way as to how to ensure that the political hacks of Judges are kept at bay or are to be re-instated and the govt rocks till the next quake, to topple!! Surely, the law would be able to clear the way, but then the law is what the boss, whoever that be wants!! And you call that law!!

Arabic channels are not banned. I would not know of Pakistan, but in India, the broadcast of channel is Satellite based and run by private operators, who have to pay for the links and so they are running the business for profit and not social service. They give packages which are bundled as per popularity. How many in India wish to see Arabic channels or Pushtu channels? So, why should the private operators like Dish TV, Tata Sky waste their money to procure a channel which no one will subscribe for?

We don't get French or German channel either. I asked for the DW, but they said I was the only one who wants and they could arrange it if I covered the cost!! And to cover the cost, I would have to be a rich man like Zardari!

That much for the hogwash of channels being banned.

It is time you learn about life and the world rather than exist in a goldfish bowl with prejudice that has no background!!

The biggest challenge facing India today, is to build a common identity that transcends caste, regional, religious, class, and racial boundaries.

It has been said in the past, that a big reason why India is still secular, and still a democracy, is simply because there is no other way to accomodate a thousand points of view.

Indian society is highly fragmented. It always has been.
However, this is changing fast. Among the peoples of India, a new identity is emerging. An identity that is based on the oneness of hindus. On the unity of the followers of hinduism.
Hindutva is not a one-trick pony. It has several different faces, and it affects the fabric of society in different ways.
In some ways it is positive, in the sense that it rejects the caste-system, and unites hindus under one banner. These positive effects will not be felt in the big cities of India, but in tiny villages and hamlets in rural India. People have a new sense of pride in being hindus. They go to their village temples, and repair pillars, idols, walls that have lain broken since they were disfigured hundreds of year ago. They join self-help groups that teach things like ethics, hard work, and encourage people to give up the fatalistic mentality that has plagued our thinking for such a long time.

Hindutva is also a unifying idea, in the sense that it seeks to bring Buddhism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. under the banner of Hinduism.
This is not necessarily a negative thing, since being called a hindu doesn't in any way change the beliefs of a Sikh, a Jain or a Buddhist. This is because hinduism doesn't dictate what you believe. It only dictates your loyalties.

Then there is a version of hindutva, one that seeks to put the blame of all the ills of India on some scapegoat.
The idea of a "scapegoat" isn't new. The word comes from an ancient ritual of arabic tribes, who used to "cleanse" the sins of the tribe by transferring them onto a goat , and then sending the goat into the desert to die.
It has been used all around the world ever since, because it is so useful in giving a society, tribe or a country a new beginning. A feeling of being clean, of being pure, of having a new hope.
We saw it in Germany, where the Scapegoating of Jews lead to a massive change for the rest of German society, which transformed itself into one of the great world powers under Hitler, albeit for a short while.

The biggest mistake Pakistanis can make, I feel, is to compare Radical Islam with Hindutva. These two are not similar at all, in the sense that they don't have the same consequences.
Radical Islam is arrogant. It listens to nobody but itself. It negates everything that happened since the fall of the last islamic empire.
Hindutva is about renewal. It about creating hope and pride, where there was none.

The BJP came to power for the first time, on the promise to build a temple at Ayodhya.
To a hindu, this isn't an evil, or bad thing to do at all. Is it too much to ask for a temple at the birthplace of Lord Ram, who is recognised all across India, from Punjab to Bihar to Tamil Nadu? It it too much to ask for our mosque at our very own mecca?

However, this was denied to the young generation of hindus, who were too impatient. The congress kept putting spokes in the wheel, in order to "appease" the muslim votebanks.
I shall delve into the sad saga of Indian muslims later, in the name of whose appeasement, they have been used as votebanks and kept in suspended animation with primite beliefs and ideas.
Indian politicians for so long, were happy to criticize hindus and hinduism for everything, strictly kept their hands off the muslims. As a result, muslims never changed!!

In any case, after years and years of interminable legal wrangling and court cases, these new hindus were fed up. They wanted their temple, and they wanted it now.
The result? A 15th century mosque, which was supposed to have been built by Babar, was demolished by a huge mob.
This mob wasn't composed of preists and politicians. It was ordinary teenagers, in T-shirts and Jeans!

To conclude, I'd like to say that Hindutva is a new force. Like all new things, it can be used for both good and evil. Sometimes both at the same time.

In recent protest look like Shiv change its policy, it working more on local nationalistic policy rather then on the basis of religion. Why is that?

a recent protest sparked through Amittab B conspiracy..for being non local.

Back
Top Bottom