What's new

Soaring Profits Push Pakistan's KSE-100 to 4-Year High

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A string of strong earnings announcements by Karachi Stock Exchange listed companies and the Central Bank's 1.5% rate cut have helped the KSE-100 index gain 32% year to date. In the week ended on August 16, the benchmark index surged by 238.59 points, or 1.61 percent, to 51-month high of 15,000.08 points. This was the highest close since April 30, 2008.

Strong Earnings:

Last week, KSE-listed Indus Motors announced 57% jump in profits on record sales of Toyota Corolla cars. It was followed by Lucky Cement Ltd. (LUCK), Pakistan’s largest producer of the building material, announcing 71 percent surge in profits to a record as an increase in domestic sales offset a decline in exports. Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL), the country’s second largest oil and gas explorer, said its profits soared 30% to Rs40.9 billion in fiscal 2012. Strong earnings have also been reported by Unilever Foods and Bata shoes in the last few days.

Best Performing Market:

So far in 2012 Pakistan is the best performing market in Asia surpassing the Philippines which was the top performer until June of this year. Karachi stocks have also significantly outperformed all emerging stock smarket indexes, including Mumbai and Shanghai, in 2012.

Rising Consumer Demand:

Meteoric rise of Engro Foods symbolizes strong consumer demand in growing package food sector. Its CEO Muhammad Afnan Ahsan has forecast 81% increase in net income in the current year ending December 31, 2012. With a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 65 percent and a planned infrastructure investment in 2012 of eight billion rupees, Engro Foods has become the country's fastest growing local company catering to a wide range of consumers in Pakistan and overseas.

KSE+vs+BSE+2012YTD.jpg

Undeterred by the gloom and doom reports in the media, Pakistani consumers are continuing to spend and private consumption has now reached 75 percent of GDP. It rose 11.6% in real terms in 2011-12 compared with just 3.7% growth a year earlier , according to Economic Survey of Pakistan. In fact, many analysts believe that Pakistan's official GDP of $220 billion is understated by as much as 50%, buttressing a recent claim by the head of Karachi Stock Exchange that Pakistan's real GDP is closer to $300 billion.

I believe that even a modest effort to increase tax collection can significantly improve Pakistan's state finances to support higher public sector investments in energy, education, health care and infrastructure.

Haq's Musings: Strong Earnings Propel Pak Shares Index to Reach 4 Years High

Riaz Haq love to compare Pakistani economy with Indian economy. :lol::lol:

It's comparing mole hill with mountain...I believe India's top company Reliance value is more then the entire KSE index, also today the BSE closed at 17,846.86 and the so called economist RiazHaq is using the old data to post today!!!

Reliance Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Revenue US$ 76.119 billion (2012)
Net income US$ 4.116 billion (2012)
Total assets US$ 64.230 billion (2012)
Total equity US$ 33.263 billion (2012)

RiazHaq get some life and don't feed wrong information to your country men - I am once again saying today the Indian index BSE closed at 17,846.86 points...

How do you know it's not an artificial bubble? Back in 2007, US and world stock index was at all time time, while the recession devalued them by more than 50%. Well, one thing is for sure, Pakistan's economy is quite immune from global turmoil.

How do you know it's not an artificial bubble? Back in 2007, US and world stock index was at all time time, while the recession devalued them by more than 50%. Well, one thing is for sure, Pakistan's economy is quite immune from global turmoil.

Dude let it be what ever...if KSE is doing good then it's good from them and let them enjoy their success and our heartiest wishes...But I don't understand why the hell this so called fake economist (like fake water kit scientist) RiazHaq uses some old BSE Index data when you have the latest figure available today....

Anyone comparing KSE to BSE/NSE must be out of his mind.

Dude let it be what ever...if KSE is doing good then it's good from them and let them enjoy their success and our heartiest wishes...But I don't understand why the hell this so called fake economist (like fake water kit scientist) RiazHaq uses some old BSE Index data when you have the latest figure available today....

No, i'm not complaining neither am i trolling. Just pointing out some facts, when the world stocks are going down, KSE is holding it's levels. That means there are not much foreign investments in KSE, who prefers to liquidate their holdings and hold cash reserves in crisis situations.

Much of the demand is from within Pakistan, some big domestic investment firms may be holding a large chunk of the equities.

KSE is embarrassing, it's typical of many(not all) Pakistanis, it's so cheap they can't even build a proper building, i hate the KSE building. Same goes for Karachi Airport

With a P/E ratio of about 5, it's ridiculous to call it a bubble. The Karachi stock market is driven by the fundamentals such as strong earnings and revenue growth....not artificial expansion of PE ratios.

Technical analysts are also bullish on KSE.

Haq's Musings: US Technical Analyst Bullish on Pakistan

KSE is embarrassing, it's typical of many(not all) Pakistanis, it's so cheap they can't even build a proper building, i hate the KSE building. Same goes for Karachi Airport

What has the KSE building got to do with the earnings of the listed companies, especially in this age of cyber trading?

Do you want to see a nice "X"?

Take a look at the Trend-lines in this IMF graph for the GDP growth-rates of Bangladesh versus our country.

ScreenHunter_08+Aug.+25+18.37.jpg

As you can see, our country's trend is clearly downward. The trend-line is downward from left to right. The trend for Bangladesh, on the other hand, is clearly upward. The trend-line is upward from left to right.

Can you see the nice "X" pattern formed by the two trend-lines?

As shown, the IMF is predicting/projecting average 6.75% growth for Bangladesh over the next 5 years (2012-2017). The projecting/prediction for our country is only 3.5% growth rate over the same period (2012-2017).

Why do you think that is? Could it be that the IMF is making these predictions based on a careful analysis of underlying fundamentals of the two economies? For example, if we look at the IMF Bangladesh v/s Pakistan graphs for Investments & Savings, we see even more of the same “X” pattern:

ScreenHunter_09+Aug.+25+18.38.jpg

ScreenHunter_10+Aug.+25+18.38.jpg

What do you think? What do these graphs have to say about our economy's prospects versus the prospects of Bangladesh's economy?

Anyone comparing KSE to BSE/NSE must be out of his mind.

I agree! KSE has performed significantly better for years.

Do you want to see a nice "X"?

Take a look at the Trend-lines in this IMF graph for the GDP growth-rates of Bangladesh versus our country.

ScreenHunter_08+Aug.+25+18.37.jpg

As you can see, our country's trend is clearly downward. The trend-line is downward from left to right. The trend for Bangladesh, on the other hand, is clearly upward. The trend-line is upward from left to right.

Can you see the nice "X" pattern formed by the two trend-lines?

As shown, the IMF is predicting/projecting average 6.75% growth for Bangladesh over the next 5 years (2012-2017). The projecting/prediction for our country is only 3.5% growth rate over the same period (2012-2017).

Why do you think that is? Could it be that the IMF is making these predictions based on a careful analysis of underlying fundamentals of the two economies? For example, if we look at the IMF Bangladesh v/s Pakistan graphs for Investments & Savings, we see even more of the same “X” pattern:

ScreenHunter_09+Aug.+25+18.38.jpg

ScreenHunter_10+Aug.+25+18.38.jpg

What do you think? What do these graphs have to say about our economy's prospects versus the prospects of Bangladesh's economy?

All it says that Pak savings rate fluctuates with GDP growth rates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom