What's new

South Waziristan operation delayed

there is a tactical pause - nothing else!
pls dont read much into the rumours of "peace deals" - the army, the govt and the people have moved beyond that.
BM is going to be eliminated !!!

Yep OBL will also be eliminated with him , it is not that easy that is reason army operation is on going very slow with out any fix time frame.

army has been quite stretched lately. Remember US has also launched anoperation in helmand which means there is a great possibility of taliban entering balochistan. If u remember recently DG ISPR gave a statement that some of the redeployment have been carried out on western border. This obviously means troops have been moved from up north towards south. army is also maintainin presence in malakand area and in some cases search operation is still underway. also not much troops have been moved from eastern front.
this all means that maximum army can do rit now in waziristan is to keep the noose tight which is wat they are doing. economic blockade have been created and it will be fair if i say mehsud territory has been isolated from whole of pakistan.
accordin to some articles, BM has already approached GoP to reach some kind of a deal. and if i go by this same article i am talkin about, GoP has conveyed her demands to BM after he approached.

Pakistan stretched thin for Mehsud battle.

Consolidating military gains in Swat and worries about Taliban spillover from south Afghanistan are clouding Pakistan's offensive against the country's most wanted warlord, analysts say. In mid-June, the military said it had received orders and was preparing to launch an offensive against Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud and his network in the South Waziristan tribal district bordering Afghanistan. Troops have sealed off much of the eastern border between South Waziristan and areas under government control, and carried out air raids in what the military calls softening up for a full-scale ground operation.

Pakistan says it has eliminated the Taliban in a military offensive launched last April in northwestern districts Buner, Dir and Swat, which rendered nearly two million people displaced.
But deadly skirmishes continue, raising fears that the Taliban escaped into the mountains and might return, as after previous offensives. Signs of battle were visible on the road winding up to Swat at the weekend. South of the valley at Batkhela, two bodies were dumped by the road. Residents said they were Taliban killed by the army. Another body lay in the Swat town of Marghazar. Residents identified him as a local Taliban commander who was captured and killed as a warning. "The army has to consolidate Swat and help maintain security so that IDPs (internally displaced persons) return without any fear that the Taliban would come back," former interior minister Hamid Nawaz told .

"My assessment is that the army will remain in Swat until the civilian set-up is also consolidated and an intelligence network is in place," added Nawaz, who is also a retired lieutenant general. Last week US regional envoy Richard Holbrooke heard concerns in Pakistan that 4,000 US Marines operating further south in Afghanistan will push Taliban across the border and inflame in insurgency in Baluchistan. When the US airborne assault began, Pakistan said it redeployed troops along the Afghan border to stop Taliban fighters fleeing into its southwest, ripped apart by Islamist, sectarian and regional violence. "There can be a spillover of the Helmand operation into Pakistan and the military has to guard the border as well," said Nawaz. "But in South Waziristan, firefights continue and strikes are being carried out against militants with a view to cause maximum damage." Mehsud has two prices on his head -- five million dollars from the United States, which considers him a key Al-Qaeda facilitator, and 615,000 dollars from the Pakistani government. Suspected US missiles and Pakistani air strikes target his strongholds but so far he has escaped harm.

"Baitullah Mehsud is one of the most dangerous and odious people in the entire region," said Holbrooke, but added he thought a Waziristan offensive had been delayed because of operations in Swat. "The highest priority right now has to be to secure the areas in Swat and Buner as the refugees return... So maybe they're delaying their offensive. The Taliban denies claims that Maulana Fazlullah, architect of the Swat uprising, was wounded and threatened renewed holy war. "Northern Swat is still insecure and the leadership, Fazlullah, is not captured, so there's a long way to go there," recognised Holbrooke. He said Pakistan was busy coordinating its military activities with NATO troops in Afghanistan, where the United States was determined not to repeat mistakes of the past when Taliban escaped.

Defence analyst Talat Masood said "this could be the consideration," but argued the army would continue targeted air strikes against Mehsud's network, concentrated on perfect guerrilla terrain. "They have always been hesitant to launch a full-scale operation in South Waziristan, because the conditions there are very different than Swat," Masood said. "They would continue with limited targeted action." Military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas ruled out any question that Waziristan was on the back burner. "Military operations are of different forms... The areas around South Waziristan are sealed and aerial targeting is being done," Abbas said. "We will decide upon the ground offensive at an appropriate time. We do not start operations because someone or media reports say so," he said.

http://theasiandefence.blogspot.com/2009/07/pakistan-stretched-thin-for-mehsud.html

To be honest what army thought before the operation was

1)Baitullah would be abandoned by mullah nazir and gul bahadur.

2)hundreds of fighter loyal to zainudin would join pakistan army.

and it would march through mehsud territory.

But quite opposite has happened.

mullah nazir and gul bahadur have broken peace deals.
zainudin is killed.

so army already has to stay in swat for 1 year at least

plus it has to check possible RAW or MOssad infiltration under the garb of refugees into baluchistan already nawai waqt reported that indian and israeli agents infiltrated baluchistan via omn

then there is deployment at the east.

so this was the only available option to pressure mehsud gul bahadur and nazir ahmed and try reach some sort of compromise

Gulbahader ,Nazir or baitullah are nothing... Army can easily neutralize them. State has its muscles and when it want to do some thing it do it.

their are number of reasons for delaying operation in waziristan

1. Army wants total peace to come in swat

2. with economic blocade it wants local people to revolt against militants

3.economic blocade with air campaign is distroying the morale of militants and if you people have observed lots of terrorists are either killed or captured after operation Rah Nijat started and their is end of suicide terrorism. because militants have realized the retaliation will be more they can handle

4. US operation in Helmand is creating reprecussions and we dont want balochistan situation to worsen

BTW i think if US dont mend its way we should end the operations . US is in picture what India and afghans are doing and it has closed its eyes. we who have sacrificed more then whole NATO and US are being blackmailed for the blunders committed by them. Its Real Politiks so play as it is needed

"...BTW i think if US dont mend its way we should end the operations ."

We won't and you should.:wave::usflag:

They have already reached a compromise as I said.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

‘Pakistan in covert talks with Baitullah’

LAHORE: The military has delayed a full-scale ground operation in South Waziristan Agency against Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud as the two sides have covertly reached an understanding, the Telegraph claimed on Tuesday. A report in the UK daily said details are still not known, but the military had deliberately delayed launching the attacks against Baitullah after “having corralled his stronghold in South Waziristan”. Around six brigades of troops have blocked the four main arteries into Baitullah’s territory, which thousands have fled for fear of missile strikes by US drones. Citing a senior official, the paper reported that authorities want Baitullah to announce that he would not attack the government in the future. The official said it would not be a “total surrender”, but a guarantee on Baitullah’s part that he would not indulge in anti-state activities in the future. The effort was underway because the military is engaged on several fronts and does not want a full-blown operation in Waziristan. The claims have not been verified independently, the Telegraph reported, but said the delay was sure to anger the United States. The military has denied such reports and said it wanted to surround the Taliban and then use air power and artillery to “soften them up”. The army has struck several peace deals with Baitullah in the past, but all have collapsed. daily times monitor

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

It was difficult for army to move to waziristan and fight with united taliban resistance plus I think it also reflects rift with US.

Swat taliban were only operating against Pakistani state so army moved.

Waziristan's taliban on the other hand operate more against NATO.
So if Pakistanis get assurance from mehsud to stop anti state activities then I guess he and nazir and gul bahadr will more be a problem for US then for Pakistan.

And Pakistan considering US Indian Israeli interference in Baluchistan and helmand operation is ANGRY I guess:angry:

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

LAHORE: The military has delayed a full-scale ground operation in South Waziristan Agency against Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud as the two sides have covertly reached an understanding, the Telegraph claimed on Tuesday. A report in the UK daily said details are still not known, but the military had deliberately delayed launching the attacks against Baitullah after “having corralled his stronghold in South Waziristan”. Around six brigades of troops have blocked the four main arteries into Baitullah’s territory, which thousands have fled for fear of missile strikes by US drones. Citing a senior official, the paper reported that authorities want Baitullah to announce that he would not attack the government in the future. The official said it would not be a “total surrender”, but a guarantee on Baitullah’s part that he would not indulge in anti-state activities in the future. The effort was underway because the military is engaged on several fronts and does not want a full-blown operation in Waziristan. The claims have not been verified independently, the Telegraph reported, but said the delay was sure to anger the United States. The military has denied such reports and said it wanted to surround the Taliban and then use air power and artillery to “soften them up”. The army has struck several peace deals with Baitullah in the past, but all have collapsed. daily times monitor

It was difficult for army to move to waziristan and fight with united taliban resistance plus I think it also reflects rift with US.

So if Pakistanis get assurance from mehsud to stop anti state activities then I guess he and nazir and gul bahadr will more be a problem for US then for Pakistan.

And Pakistan considering US Indian Israeli interference in Baluchistan and helmand operation is ANGRY I guess:angry:

Just to make some amendments, the mehsud tribal militants based in waziristan are only involved in anti-state activities, the wazir tribal militants are engaged with NATO & only attack SF when SF do some action.
Mehsud has never been against the NATO or USA nor he sends his men over the border, his only agenda is to destabilize Pakistan for which he is paid handsomely by his foreign friends.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I can tell you with conviction that Pakistan army is in no mood to give any levearage to Baitullah Mehsud.

2. We are convinced US/CIA is supporting and saving Baitullah Mehsud against Pakistan.

3. Baitullah is not operating against US so there is no question about any anger by US.

4. It was US which wanted us to stretch beyond our capacity.

I think we could not have started multipal fronts at a time and specialy when Baitullah is not in Waziristab but was operating in Swat and Malakand that too just to save US from attacks by anti-US forces.

Above all the report said "The Telegraph says the reports could not be confirmed"

So west/US better lay off

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I dont belive on this report . Government has sacrifised a lot. Baitullah is not enemy of government but is enemy of Pakistan.
Government is persueing 3 pronged strategy

1. Aireal bombardment..which is causeing low morale in taliban... and I my self belive after certain time Mahsuds them selves will revolt against baitullah

2. economic blockade... Pro Baitullah thugs are suffering economic blockade my Government... this economic blockade along with aireal bombardment is going on since government launched operation Rah e Rast

3. Helping anti baitullah forces. Baitullah is being surrounded by his tribal enemies like Baba waziristan, bhittani and Misbahuddin Mahsud.

Im getting impatient... I want this Baitullah Mehsud guy dead! Scumbag should get a bullet for every innocent Pakistani he killed!

Im getting impatient... I want this Baitullah Mehsud guy dead! Scumbag should get a bullet for every innocent Pakistani he killed!

he will be brought to justice. Pakistan has lost more than 2000 soldiers, paramilitary etc
but we have to wait.. first priority is swat, rehablitation of IDP's and clearing remaining taliban thugs... Pakistan cannot start a new job without finishing the old one...

27b492ce25067a050a80465e521a1d51.png

To give a better idea about the waziristan situation and what PA is trying to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom