What's new

Sri Lanka: An realistic model for South Asia

Type 052D

Reaction score
I am surprised about how clean and wonderful this S.Asian nation is. I mean in some places in Colombo, one can drop his food and eat on the floor. I just transited from Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) from my travels in Malaysia. It quite the opposite of everything the British/Western News channels say about SL (e.g Tamil wars, Suicide Bombings etc). I was just wondering, why can't India be like this, or Pakistan/Bangladesh?

300px-Colombo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC is quite critical of Sri Lanka. I don't understand why. On every news they make about Sri Lanka, they find something bad.

You are most welcome to visit for a holiday in Sri Lanka and visit other areas too especially forests. :D

I am surprised about how clean and wonderful this S.Asian nation is. I mean in some places in Colombo, one can drop his food and eat on the floor. I just transited from Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) from my travels in Malaysia. It quite the opposite of everything the British/Western News channels say about SL (e.g Tamil wars, Suicide Bombings etc). I was just wondering, why can't ....be like this, or Pakistan/Bangladesh?

300px-Colombo2.jpg

That's because Bangladesh has way too many polytheists, mushrik and pagans.

It is not an Islamic state ruled strictly by Islamic Shariah.

Generally, the "more Islamic" countries are "more developed", at least in the limited region stretching from Morocco to Indonesia.

----

Case in point.

Maldives - 100% Muslim population, higher GDP per capita than Sri Lanka, higher literacy rate than Sri Lanka, etc.

UNICEF - Maldives - Statistics

Maldives

Total adult literacy rate (%) 2007-2011* 98
Life expectancy at birth (years) 2011 77

UNICEF - Sri Lanka - Statistics

Total adult literacy rate (%) 2007-2011* 91
Life expectancy at birth (years) 2011 75

Maldives and Islam - 1 | TurnToIslam

Maldives is the only country which can be called a 100% Muslim Nation in the world. This is the only nation in its constitution very clearly says that each Maldivian should be a Muslim, and no non-Muslim can be a Maldivian even if they are born here. Alhamdhulillah!

This is exactly why Brunei and Malaysia are much more developed than Indonesia, even though all three countries are generally located in the same region, and consist of the same majority religion, and similar cultures.

For example,

Brunei's GDP may rise by 2% | The Brunei Times

Brunei's GDP per capita of US$44,000 in 2012 was the highest in developing Asia, after Singapore and Hong Kong, the report said.

The Brunei Economic Development Board

Brunei Darussalam is a small country with great potential. It is ranked number one in the Islamic world in terms of the Human Development Index (HDI), which measures a country's quality of life.

Islam is the official religion of Brunei Darussalam and has been since the 14th century. Brunei takes its religion very seriously and has developed a strong Islamic reputation around the world.

For Muslims, Islamic Syariah Law supersedes civil law in a number of areas.

Malaysia is neither a decidedly Islamic state, nor a secular state like Indonesia. Therefore, Malaysia is an upper-middle income country, neither very rich (like Brunei) nor very poor (like Hindustan or Indonesia, in relative terms)

Malaysia's per capita income rises - Latest - New Straits Times

He said the per capita income had increased to more than US$9,000 (about RM28,000) annually at the end of last year as compared to only US$376 (RM1,159) in 1970.
"We are now talking about achieving a US$15,000 per capita income by 2020, having well passed the US$9,000 mark," he added.

In Malaysia, due to 'too much diversity', Syariah (Shariah) is not
given precedence over (kafir) "civil" laws.

Syariah laws in Malaysia – BorneoPost Online | Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News | Largest English Daily In Borneo

Muslims in Malaysia are governed by Islamic personal and family law, which has been in existence since the 15th century.
Islamic laws have been administered, not only by the Syariah Courts, but also the Civil Courts.
However by Article 121 (1A) of the Constitution of Malaysia, today, exclusive jurisdiction has been given to the Syariah Courts in the administration of Islamic laws.
The Syariah laws in Malaysia do not apply to non-Muslims.

Read more: Syariah laws in Malaysia – BorneoPost Online | Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News | Largest English Daily In Borneo

Indonesia is the poorest of the three Muslim majority countries in ASEAN, for obvious reasons (kafir laws/secularism).

Indonesia Remains Secular Despite Islamic Revival | Online NewsHour | October 22, 2009 | PBS

Indonesia has remained politically secular

Indonesia's per capita income grows 17.7 pct in 2011 - Xinhua | English.news.cn

The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per capita of Indonesia has grew 17.7 percent throughout last year to 3,542 U.S. dollars ....

Ergo:

The more 'kafir/secular/polytheist/pagan/etc' laws, customs, cultural elements, practices or beliefs are embedded in a Muslim majority society's laws, traditions and culture, the poorer and backward it is.

And vice versa, the more Islamic a Muslim majority state is, the wealthier and more developed it is.

Reference:

The evidence presented above from a variety of highly respected, verifiable and authentic sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turkey is quite secular. Iran is quite open. They are all quite developed.

On the contrary, for those countries controlled by islam nutcases, they are pretty much doomed except a few oil-rich countries.

That's because Bangladesh has way too many polytheists, mushrik and pagans.

It is not an Islamic state ruled strictly by Islamic Shariah.

Generally, the "more Islamic" countries are "more developed", at least in the limited region stretching from Morocco to Indonesia.

----

Case in point.

Maldives - 100% Muslim population, higher GDP per capita than Sri Lanka, higher literacy rate than Sri Lanka, etc.

UNICEF - Maldives - Statistics

UNICEF - Sri Lanka - Statistics

Maldives and Islam - 1 | TurnToIslam

This is exactly why Brunei and Malaysia are much more developed than Indonesia, even though all three countries are generally located in the same region, and consist of the same majority religion, and similar cultures.

For example,

Brunei's GDP may rise by 2% | The Brunei Times

The Brunei Economic Development Board

Malaysia is neither a decidedly Islamic state, nor a secular state like Indonesia. Therefore, Malaysia is an upper-middle income country, neither very rich (like Brunei) nor very poor (like Hindustan or Indonesia, in relative terms)

Malaysia's per capita income rises - Latest - New Straits Times

In Malaysia, due to 'too much diversity', Syariah (Shariah) is not
given precedence over (kafir) "civil" laws.

Syariah laws in Malaysia – BorneoPost Online | Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News | Largest English Daily In Borneo

Indonesia is the poorest of the three Muslim majority countries in ASEAN, for obvious reasons (kafir laws/secularism).

Indonesia Remains Secular Despite Islamic Revival | Online NewsHour | October 22, 2009 | PBS

Indonesia's per capita income grows 17.7 pct in 2011 - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Ergo:

The more 'kafir/secular/polytheist/pagan/etc' laws, customs, cultural elements, practices or beliefs are embedded in a Muslim majority society's laws, traditions and culture, the poorer and backward it is.

And vice versa, the more Islamic a Muslim majority state is, the wealthier and more developed it is.

Reference:

The evidence presented above from a variety of highly respected, verifiable and authentic sources.

Turkey is quite secular. Iran is quite open. They are all quite developed.

On the contrary, for those countries controlled by islam nutcases, they are pretty much doomed except a few oil-rich countries.

1. Turkey has only 'flourished' under allegedly "Islamic" AKP. Before that, there was no massive progress in Turkish military industry, or other sectors.

2. If Turkey ditches Erdogan and his cronies, it would be ten times worse than Greece.

3. Iran is under intense sanctions, and yet it manages to be wealthier than all its desert neighbours in GDP (PPP), whereas only one desert neighbour has a higher GDP (nominal), and that desert neighbour also happens to be more "Islamic" than secular Arab countries.

4. Thanks for providing these two 'data points', they further strengthen my argument, backed up by verifiable and authentic evidence.

1. Turkey has only 'flourished' under allegedly "Islamic" AKP. Before that, there was no massive progress in Turkish military industry, or other sectors.

2. If Turkey ditches Erdogan and his cronies, it would be ten times worse than Greece.

3. Iran is under intense sanctions, and yet it manages to be wealthier than all its desert neighbours in GDP (PPP), whereas only one desert neighbour has a higher GDP (nominal), and that desert neighbour also happens to be more "Islamic" than secular Arab countries.

4. Thanks for providing these two 'data points', they further strengthen my argument, backed up by verifiable and authentic evidence.

Can I ask a question? You provided several examples and said they are developed because of Islamic systems. What do you say about non Islamic successful stats like Singapore, Japan, Korea etc? And Islamic governed yet failed Egypt, Afghanistan, Somalia ? Then again you have successful Muslim majority countries with secular governments like Kazakhstan, Albania, Azerbaijan etc.

Maldives is a very small country when compared to Sri Lanka and it never experienced a war. Sri Lanka started to grow after 2009. Sri Lanka's literacy rate now is 98%. Sri Lanka is the only country that is ranked high on human development index. Maldives despite being a small country and a trouble free country did not make it. As you say, if secret for success is an Islamist system then success of Maldives is not sufficient enough to fulfill that claim.

Also what do you mean by Islamist systems? As you said in Maldives example, intolerant towards non-Muslims (refusing to recognize citizenship for non Muslim communities)?

In my opinion, each country has its own style of ruling that works only for that particular country. Islamist or non-Islamist, it will not make a difference.

No offence or aggression intended.

Sri Lanka is a tiny county with a small population and good natural resources. It's history us less complicated before independence. You cannot compare it to rest of South Asia.

Strengthening your points???

Turkey is far from those religious nut-cases and still remains a secular country. There are not sharia sh!t in Turkey.

Iran, is far more open than those other religious fxxker houses as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom