What's new

Sri Lanka rules out defence deal with Pakistan

i wouldnt call it a blunder mate. we were not in a position to help them by giving offensive weapons. it would have lead to huge political backlash in india. DMK part has got strong hold in tamil nadu. it is also a political partner in UPA alliance led by MMS and sonia ghandhi.

DMK would not have supported india's plans to give offensive weapons to sri lankan army.

hence only defensive weapons and medical aid was given.i do agree pakistan made most of this situation.

but i would still not call it a blunder.

so what?...what would be more costly, allowing Pakistan (and China) to get closer to Srilanka or political implications of a politicial party?.....Strategic decesions are far more bold than this. I mean look at Srilankan Millitary inventories, now dominated by Chinese and Pakistani equipment and since millitary has a very strong say in the country (like case elsewhere) that means allowing millitary cooperation means a more stable trend as unlike a political party that will rule for only 5 years a millitary cooperation is much much longer and thus yield more durable effects

but thats politics my friend. one has to take partners along in coalition governement. if india supplied them weapons, DMK would have withdrawn support from government and then may be, governement would have fallen.

i am sure no PM would have liked his govenment to fall. but india did try to compensate by giving medical aid and defensive eqpt like radars etc.

anyway, it was china and pak's gain.

but thats politics my friend. one has to take partners along in coalition governement. if india supplied them weapons, DMK would have withdrawn support from government and then may be, governement would have fallen.

i am sure no PM would have liked his govenment to fall. but india did try to compensate by giving medical aid and defensive eqpt like radars etc.

anyway, it was china and pak's gain.

Like i said, in a situation of srilanka, I wont value wheat and food that much as these things did not help them defeating my enemies but rather weapons which would do the job. It needs a bullet to kill the enemy not a bread or an injection:coffee:

glad that in the past, the MBRLs PAF pilots and tank/aircraft ammunitions provided (literally boat-loads of them) could help Sri Lanka regain its ground and end the brutal 25+ year long terrorist insurgency

our relationship is not defined by arms deals....it's defined by common regional interests, and mutually shared respect for eachother. We should do more to increase our biltareal trade; many areas where we can both gain from eachother.

Fatman --- epic (and appropriate) reply to the day-dreamer! ;)

Simple common sense ---- no use in partying the faraway Leopard if the Tiger is sitting next to you.

An operation in which the high and Mighty Sri Lankan Army wiped out entire Tamil Villages and spent the last remaining bullets of their machine gun on defenceless women and innocent children.

Which side are you Karthic? With Tamil Terrorist or Anti Terrorist Operations conducted by Sri-Lanka? A counter question before you answer, which side are you when it comes to Kashmir? Kashmiri Struggeling for Freedom or Indians Killing Kashmiris calling them terrorists? Ideology is not like "head I win and tail you loose."

Just little food for thoughts.

"COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Tamil Tiger rebels massacred hundreds of civilians — including 200 people from one village — as they tried to flee the war zone in northern Sri Lanka, a former rebel official said in an interview broadcast Wednesday." Reference: Ex-rebel: Tamil Tigers killing civilians - World news - South and Central Asia - Sri Lanka - msnbc.com

Which side are you Karthic? With Tamil Terrorist or Anti Terrorist Operations conducted by Sri-Lanka? A counter question before you answer, which side are you when it comes to Kashmir? Kashmiri Struggeling for Freedom or Indians Killing Kashmiris calling them terrorists? Ideology is not like "head I win and tail you loose."

I am on the side of the Sri Lankan Tamils. As simple as that.

I know it is little hard for you to believe (or you dont want to believe) that there were huge war-crimes meted out to the defence-less Tamils after the LTTE started surrendering and the trigger happy Sri Lankan Army couldnt or didnt want to distinguish between a Tamil Tiger and innocent civilians/women/children.

I know the truth from first hand experience of meeting the affected refugees who were flooding into my state.

So I just cant sit quietly when somebody who doesnt know an iota of the ground reality of what were the reasons for the Etho-civil war in Sri Lanka just goes on blabbering 'Tamil Terrorists' generalising all.

And yes since you brought in Kashmir let me explain my stand - I never supported an independent Eelam (though it would have been excellent for India's strategic ambitions) because I respect the sovereignity of SL.In Kashmir when my Army cleans up entire villages shooting and killing women and Children with machine guns and artillery then I will condemn them too.

"COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Tamil Tiger rebels massacred hundreds of civilians — including 200 people from one village — as they tried to flee the war zone in northern Sri Lanka, a former rebel official said in an interview broadcast Wednesday." Reference: Ex-rebel: Tamil Tigers killing civilians - World news - South and Central Asia - Sri Lanka - msnbc.com

For every one news I can post dozens of news incriminating the SL army.But whats the use ?

Sample this BBC source - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11897784

Srilanka does not need any close defence cooperation right at this moment as the major war against the tamil rebel is over .but the article didn't tell that in future no co operation will hapend . right at this moment main objective is to build accomodation facility for the soldiers and paying th war time bill as the article mentioned .after that they can still buy defence equipment from pakistan even if no dca are sign between them .

I should say Sri Lanka is smart and understands geopolitical realities

Yes the more they become smart and understand the mentality of there close neighber more they will be closer to pakistan and china . :smitten:

he must be supporting the side which was getting the support of their intelligence agency confusion about that ? :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom