What's new

Sri Lankan PM offers worship at Guruvayur temple

Considering the fact that the temple gets a lot of offerings from Muslims and Christians I think its high time the temple authority allowed ppl from other religions to visit Guruvayoor.

You've no knowledge of the history of this temple. The statue of the deity in this temple is more than a thousand years old.
correct

I don't know abt South Indian Krishna rather. than i know the North Indian Krishna especially from Mathura/vrindavan

--sourceless--
I have often seen ppl from other religions making offerings outside the temple so you can believe me if you want to.
But these controversies prove me right
whose god is it anyway?
Entry of non-hindus in Guruvayoor
Should non-hindus enter the temple?

Lol
Nooh!
I would love to visit the "chocolate" temple. Where is it located?
A temple where devotees offer chocolate bars to Lord Muruga - The Times of India

Kerala temple flooded with chocolate offerings, management worried

u get chocolate as prasad.. :D

correct

I don't know abt South Indian Krishna rather. than i know the North Indian Krishna especially from Mathura/vrindavan
Lol
You've misconstrued my post.
I meant in Kerala, the temples strictly adhere to rituals, while in North Indian temples its not so. Infact the temples in the neighboring state of Tamil-Nadu also forgo strict adherence to rituals.

Lol
I meant in Kerala, the temples strictly adhere to rituals, while in North Indian temples its not so. Infact the temples in the neighboring state of Tamil-Nadu also forgo strict adherence to rituals.
Then North Indians are more progressive Atleast in relegious outlook

Kerala temple flooded with chocolate offerings, management worried
Devotees offer Munch bars to the deity and get back a portion of it, along with flowers and sandal paste, as prasadam.
Some overzealous devotes are offering chocolate bars equal to their body weight to please the god. And the shops nearby are making a kill.

"Chocolate offering started three years ago. Since the deity is Balamurugan (child Balasubramanyam, son of Lord Shiva), one day a devotee brought some chocolates as an offering. Since his wishes were fulfilled, it became a custom here," said temple manager D Radhakrishnan.

Initially, only children used to bring chocolates, but gradually everybody joined the race.

"Even foreigners come here with boxes of chocolate bars," said the manager.

The chocolates are piling up fast. So the temple management plans accepting cash instead, like Guruvayur temple where Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa set a trend by offering an elephant in 2000. It had triggered a jumbo rush at the temple, prompting the management to accept cash, not the real elephants.

The Thekkan Palani shrine is managed by a family trust and it was renovated two years back to check the pilgrims' rush.

Lol

It depends. TN is known as land of temples, some temples striclty adhere to norms, some dont.

But Kerala all temples are strict

Actually Muslim families tend lotus flowers for Kerala temples

Muslim families tend lotus flowers for Kerala temples - Oneindia

For generations, these families have been meticulously tending lotus flowers in their village pond and later supply to temples.

"There is no restriction on us in providing lotus flowers to temples. We supply flowers to temples like Thripunitara Temple, Guruvayur, Kadampurzha and various other important temples in Kerala. The temple managing committees have no problems so far and there is no restriction from our community as well. Everyone appreciates us for this work," said Mohammad Mustafa, lotus flower grower in Thirunavaya.

Even the same is done by Hindus who supply flowers to dargahs or khabaristan. Agarbattis are used by both Hindus and Muslims. So should be an article written Muslims use Agarbattis manufactured by Hindus ? o_O

We live peacefully with each other.

It depends. TN is known as land of temples, some temples striclty adhere to norms, some dont.

But Kerala all temples are strict

Yes, its more or less on the managament of those religious places. Even i know some Churches that you need to pay money before entering.

Then North Indians are more progressive Atleast in relegious outlook
Perception!!
I find temples in Kerala very well maintained (clean and organised) compared to North Indian temples. Don't misconstrue it as arrogance of a Keralite but this is true, and this is my experience.
I would agree to the progressive outlook part when it comes to allowing ppl from other religion into the temple.
Levina . If that temple just allow Hindus then how come Muslims or Christians will donate money as the Hundis are inside the temple ?

Does the Temple having bank account ?
Lol
There 're big (locked) charity boxes near the chuttambalam (outer part of temple) which is maintained by the temple authority and is well guarded, it here that the ppl(from other religions) donate gold ornaments and cash.
Whoa!!
I definitely visiting this temple next time when I'm in India. :)

For generations, these families have been meticulously tending lotus flowers in their village pond and later supply to temples.

"There is no restriction on us in providing lotus flowers to temples. We supply flowers to temples like Thripunitara Temple, Guruvayur, Kadampurzha and various other important temples in Kerala. The temple managing committees have no problems so far and there is no restriction from our community as well. Everyone appreciates us for this work," said Mohammad Mustafa, lotus flower grower in Thirunavaya.

Even the same is done by Hindus who supply flowers to dargahs or khabaristan. Agarbattis are used by both Hindus and Muslims. So should be an article written Muslims use Agarbattis manufactured by Hindus ? o_O

We live peacefully with each other.

Yes, its more or less on the managament of those religious places. Even i know some Churches that you need to pay money before entering.
Lotus and incense sticks 're no big deal. In Sabrimala temple (Kerala) the temple's festival begins at a mosque.

Lol
There 're big (locked) charity boxes near the chuttambalam (outer part of temple) which is maintained by the temple authority and is well guarded, it here that the ppl(from other religions) donate gold ornaments and cash.

I am aware that Gold Ornaments and Cash is being donated in Guruvayur Temple. If those charity boxes are placed at the outer part of temple , this again means that non Hindus are not allowed in Guruvayur Temple.

Perception!!
I find temples in Kerala very well maintained (clean and organised) compared to North Indian temples. Don't misconstrue it as arrogance of a Keralite but this is true, and this is my experience.
I would agree to the progressive outlook part when it comes to allowing ppl from other religion into the temple.

Lol
Whoa!!
I definitely visiting this temple next time when I'm in India. :)

Lotus and incense sticks 're no big deal. In Sabrimala temple (Kerala) the temple's festival begins at a mosque.
why just Temples infact south Indians are more conscious when it comes to general cleanliness than North India (according to intellectual like katju)

The reason behind south Indian Temples are more clean and well maintained could be strict ritual rules compared to North India,For example in Mathura/vrindavan a 10 year old could enter a temple even in his School Dress without preforming any useless ritual

why just Temples infact south Indians are more conscious when it comes to general cleanliness than North India (according to intellectual like katju)

The reason behind south Indian Temples are more clean and well maintained could be strict ritual rules compared to North India,For example in Mathura/vrindavan a 10 year old could enter a temple even in his School Dress without preforming any useless ritual

I think its more or less on the temple management .

Till a few years back women were not allowed to wear Salwar Kameez inside the temple, but since a lot of tourists visit this temple so the rules were relaxed as it caused a lot of inconvenience for the women.

Why only for women? Why not for men.....I for one never liked removing my shirt for entering chuttambalam.

Back
Top Bottom