What's new

SU-30's Cobra Maneuvers - A Treat for PAF Shaheen

I heard The Cobra maneuvre was developed for the old doppler radars to escape a lock. Is it true?
No...Not true. The Doppler function exists as long as the aircraft is moving and this airshow maneuver does not completely eliminate the aircraft's forward motion.

arsalanaslam bro

aaj dawaii nahi li na. ( j.k)

i dont like these sarcasi posts. they just put me off. its so pseudo.

Dude tujh se to main baat hi nahin kar raha tha !!!:pop:

Hey dude why you are getting upset!
I mean what I have said!!
The LCA rocks man! Do you doubt this claim?????????

nice analysis sir!
you know its post like the above ones that worries me a lot! :tsk:
i get an impression that if we want to protect our air space from the indian we will have to go for F22. nothing else will do any good to us. they have the Mig21,29, the LCA, the Su30,27, Mirages and what not!!;) ;)
if we have to compare with tem we will have to get F22 and f35, though the later stands a little chance against the lights of the greats like LCA and Su30 :rofl: but the F22 when flown in equal or perhaps more in number then the LCA and Su30 will be able to protect us a bit from the lightining strikes of there birds! :cheesy:
another important point that cannot be ignored that the F22 may well be a match for the LCA in technology but then what about the man behind the machine, they are never going to let our pilots live in peace! :whistle: :chilli:

May Allah Help Us!! Ameen!!

regards!

F-22 Reptor is 5th gen. and LCA is 4th gen. you are comparing both aircrafts like comparing steam engine with jet engine. reptor and JSF are most advanced aircrafts in the world. Even Russian Su-3o, MiG 35 and Su-35 cannot be compared with them.

Hi,

Just a question----when and under what condition the cobra manouver be made???

sir ji

The maneuver allows for very quick turns which can make an attack fail, or put the pilot in a position to execute an attack.

now for more details please chk this video.
its actually a cool looking move - althought its difficult to have and more over who enggage themselve in dog fight in 2010 :cheers:

i heard even f-22 can do some cobra move and super cobra moves. google for more details since i heard it from some reliable source.

btw : Aircraft known to be capable of the basic cobra maneuver

Aircraft known to be able to make the Cobra maneuver are:

* Chengdu J-10
* Shenyang J-11B
* Sukhoi Su-27 and variants (Su-30 to Su-37)
* Mikoyan MiG-29
* Mikoyan MiG-35
* Saab Draken
* F-22 Raptor
* Dassault Rafale

Last edited by a moderator:
Aircraft known to be able to make the Cobra maneuver are:

* Chengdu J-10
* Shenyang J-11B
* Sukhoi Su-27 and variants (Su-30 to Su-37)
* Mikoyan MiG-29
* Mikoyan MiG-35
* Saab Draken
* F-22 Raptor
* Dassault Rafale[/B]
You can add the F-100...

John Boyd - USAF, The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of Air Warfare
During the 1950s, John Boyd dominated fighter aviation in the U.S. Air Force. His fame came on the wings of the quirky and treacherous F-100; the infamous "Hun." Boyd was known throughout the Air Force as "Forty-Second Boyd," because he had a standing offer to all pilots that if they could defeat them in simulated air-to-air combat in under 40 seconds, he would pay them $40. Like any gunslinger with a name and a reputation, he was called out many times. As an instructor at the Fighter Weapons School (FWS) at Nellis AFB, he fought students, cadre pilots, Marine and Navy pilots, and pilots from a dozen countries, who were attending the FWS as part of the Mutual Defense Assistance Pact.

He never lost.

Boyd was famous for a maneuver he called "flat-plating the bird." He would be in the defensive position with a challenger tight on his tail, both pulling heavy Gs, when he would suddenly pull the stick full aft, brace his elbows on either side of the cockpit, so the stick would not move laterally, and stomp the rudder. It was as if a manhole cover were sailing through the air and then suddenly flipped 90 degrees. The underside of the fuselage, wings, and horizontal stabilizer became a speed brake that slowed the Hun from 400 knots to 150 knots in seconds. The pursuing pilot was thrown forward and now Boyd was on his tail radioing "Guns. Guns. Guns."

F-22 Reptor is 5th gen. and LCA is 4th gen. you are comparing both aircrafts like comparing steam engine with jet engine. reptor and JSF are most advanced aircrafts in the world. Even Russian Su-3o, MiG 35 and Su-35 cannot be compared with them.

i hope most of our respected members here can now actuall understand this point! i guess some of them do but are not convinced to admit it! ;)
anyway thankyou

regards!

Cobra is done to break out of being chased by another aircraft or a chasing missile following you at your six o'...while you lose precious energy...skilled pilots recover from the cobra and land up on the enemy plane's six o'...and the missile basically gets spent till the time it recovers it's flight path(it has to travel a mile long radius to turn back in)

When the pilots want himself to get shot down.Cobra Manvor is quite useless because when you pull it you'll loose quite a bit of air speed and if your hunter is smart he'll slow down his AC and take a shot before the plane even recovers from cobra.

well.... you are wrong their mate.Cobra is a faster way of breaking out of a pursuit then by the use of standard air-brakes...so the chasing plane unless doesn't do a cobra at the very moment on it's own...it will over-shoot.
the success of these maneuvers is obviously more dependent on the pilot's skill.

this is the best video that demonstrates the cobra...on you-tube...all the other videos posted on this thread aren't what the cobra is...while they have cobra being performed once or twice..but this the old-school cobra I am talking about.
notice that it is nothing too flamboyant...just a way to get out of a chase and let your enemy over-shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
while you lose precious energy...skilled pilots recover from the cobra and land up on the enemy plane's six o'...and the missile basically gets spent till the time it recovers it's flight path(it has to travel a mile long radius to turn back in)

A modern missile that does 40 Gs gets out maneuvered.I don't think so.

Cobra is done to break out of being chased by another aircraft or a chasing missile following you at your six o'...while you lose precious energy...skilled pilots recover from the cobra and land up on the enemy plane's six o'...and the missile basically gets spent till the time it recovers it's flight path(it has to travel a mile long radius to turn back in)

what if you've got 2 on your tail...? with one at a distance...? moment you stop in mid air; you're a sitting duck against the 2nd aircraft :disagree:

In reality its a useless maneuver,it wont work.

Such a missile could also respond more quickly to decoys.

Lets take the example of Python 5,ASRAAM. They have "imaging" Infra red seeker.They can now see an aircraft and match it with its records in order to differentiate it from a flare.

Other WVR missiles have Infra red counter counter measures as well.

BVR weapons like AMRAAM and others have "Home on Jamming" capability.

well maybe not the 40G capable missiles...but the older initial off-bore sight/bore sight missiles.

Many good air forces now have better missiles in their inventory.

Back
Top Bottom