What's new

Suggested duties for Indian members of this forum

To be honest, flaiming and trolling are rarely initiated intentionally. Most of the times it's a reaction to a provocation.

Everyone's inherently a decent person untill the opposing party says something disagreable or offensive, after that only Nukes will do:disagree:

Its the self triggering mechanism that needs to be addressed. Overall, even I'm optimistic about this initiative, but pragmatically someone, somewhere will piss you off and then it's back to the basics with this.

Point noted. Our proposed code should have suggestions on the best way to deal with disagreeable, offensive, or reactionary posts.

We need to have clear guidelines and approach for all Indian posters, so that they know the best way to react to disagreeable and offensive posts.

I'll do it later in the evening and you can edit your OP to finalize the changes. Let's have more ideas, and edits on any points. Anyone have any objections on any particular points, please come forward.

Sounds good. I've posted an interim status with all the (relevant) suggestions included. They are included just as they were written, not formatted.

pragmatically someone, somewhere will piss you off and then it's back to the basics with this.

We will address this point in the code. No Indian poster will be allowed to upset the delicate balance that keeps everyone sane. We don't want to reset the counter everytime.

A code is a code, and we will all jointly follow it.

The time that we spend on this initiative today will save us a lot of time in the future, when we no longer have to mine through all the sh!tposting and trolling.

Sounds good. I've posted an interim status with all the (relevant) suggestions included. They are included just as they were written, not formatted.

I will merge the points further. Here's a true fact, I just engaged my Delhi-based lawyer friend for this initiative.

He takes me for a ride every month with his overcharging and extra fees, so he better do this job for free. :cheesy:

EDIT: of course he doesn't know about this forum. He will just finetune the points.

@Joe Shearer @Shantanu_Left A welcome initiative, we are percieved here as guests, we should behave as such.

Fully agree on the bullet points. If nothing meaningful can be added, stay silent. Recognise that people can disagree with you and are allowed to dislike and vent about you, especially if it's in their own national forum.

Not every provocation or India bashing thread requires an internet warrior to defend our country, arguments with strangers online won't solve our problems, or have any decernable effect anywhere. If posts can be backed up by facts, provide them, else either ignore or report unruly behaviour. Getting down and dirty doesn't help fruitful exchange. Learn to disengage.

Each countries media is biased towards its own narrative. Stop posting threads to lord over some percieved victory, especially if they originate from your homeland. News against each other by the respective media outlets should be either taken with a truckload of salt or posted only after being picked up by other international sources. Multiple sources, rather than twitter tweets or YouTube videos should be the norm.

Stop using sources when it suits narratives only to decry them later when they don't.

We should seriously learn to laugh at ourselfs sometimes, nothing else defangs a troll that quickly.

Point noted. No WhatsApp forwards or extreme right-wing sources such as Opindia will be accepted. We don't want to burden the moderators right now, but we will request them to deal with those kind of Whatsapp forwards more stringently in the future. Right now our focus is to stick to a code of conduct among all the decent Indian members. Only then we can extend the rules for others.

Presently we cannot control the Sanghi trolls except report them for off-topic and inflammatory posts, a burden which all legit Indian posters will share. At best, it's best to totally ignore them, and not encourage the trolling or bait-switching. Give it a month and maybe we'll have enough unity to make them behave properly.

As much as it pains you, currently you will have to discuss any topics with the Sanghis as if they were your kinsmen. :woot:

I am afraid if there are going to be Indian posters on this forum, there will be an "Indian version" of history such as airplanes and Internet 5000 years ago. :woot:

But we'll try our best to minimize the impact of those diversionary posts.

I'll do it later in the evening and you can edit your OP to finalize the changes. Let's have more ideas, and edits on any points. Anyone have any objections on any particular points, please come forward.

I am definitely seeing a lot of Indian posters willing to abide by the proposed code. Only time will tell if everyone delivers on their promise. I'm an optimist. :what:

No celebrating deaths. Period.

As @Shantanu_Left pointed out, It would also be an immense help if under every bullet point, suggestions to deal with it are also included.

We will address this point in the code. No Indian poster will be allowed to upset the delicate balance that keeps everyone sane. We don't want to reset the counter everytime.

A code is a code, and we will all jointly follow it.

The time that we spend on this initiative today will save us a lot of time in the future, when we no longer have to mine through all the sh!tposting and trolling.
As much as I agree with you, there's not anything punitive we can do against the dissenters, nor should there be an attempt to do so.

Consensual members commiting to it in large numbers would be beneficial. Self policing in the form of utilizing the ignore and report functions would be ideal.

As much as I agree with you, there's not anything punitive we can do against the dissenters, nor should there be an attempt to do so.

Consensual members commiting to it in large numbers would be ideal. Self policing in the form of utilizing the ignore and report functions would be ideal.

It doesn't have to be punitive for now (eventually, it might be).

Henceforth, no Indian poster who follows the code should react or respond to inflammatory and obviously bait posts. Pretend as if they are ghosts, that way they cannot hijack a good thread. Too many off-topic posts, report them. Simple.

It doesn't have to be punitive for now (eventually, it might be).

Henceforth, no Indian poster who follows the code should react or respond to inflammatory and obviously bait posts. Pretend as if they are ghosts, that way they cannot hijack a good thread. Too many off-topic posts, report them. Simple.

LOL.

People must have noticed that even this thread is being baited. :omghaha:

Henceforth, no Indian poster who follows the code should react or respond to inflammatory and obviously bait posts.
Now you're just taking the fun out of it. Responding and reacting to bait posts is the reason half of the people come here.

I doubt telling people what and what not to do will be taken kindly, even if it means saving lives:usflag:

Tis the internet, we need thicker skins with sharper intellects.

Now you're just taking the fun out of it. Responding and reacting to bait posts is the reason half of the people come here.

I doubt telling people what and what not to do will be taken kindly, even if it means saving lives:woot:

PDF gets money due to the internet traffic over here, right? @AgNoStiC MuSliM

I doubt telling people what and what not to do will be taken kindly, even if it means saving lives:usflag:

No, I don't agree with you entirely. Someone, somewhere, has to gently remind the person about the code. It needn't be more than a nudge, nothing minatory, not like that; just a reference to the code, and a suggestion that he wouldn't want to be the one to start the back-sliding.

That's up to the members, of course. If people prefer to let this be a matter for each one's individual conscience, that's fine by me.

LOL.

People must have noticed that even this thread is being baited. :omghaha:

I am very serious. If we cannot have a working code of conduct by evening, and the decent posters resolving to stick to it, at least I will delete my account here. Clearly then there is no point in continuing.

I will continue to lurk and laugh at the bad posts, but that might be the last contributions from my side.

If everyone wants a return to the law of the jungle, here is your chance. Vote "no". :cheesy:

No, I don't agree with you entirely. Someone, somewhere, has to gently remind the person about the code. It needn't be more than a nudge, nothing minatory, not like that; just a reference to the code, and a suggestion that he wouldn't want to be the one to start the back-sliding.

That's up to the members, of course. If people prefer to let this be a matter for each one's individual conscience, that's fine by me.

Agreed with the bolded portion.

Back
Top Bottom