What's new

Sukhoi PAK-FA / FGFA: Updates,News & Discussions

I disagree. There are certain similarities for sure such as both possessing canards, twin engines, twin rudders, etc. The differences one could see just from the top aspect as you have provided includes (but no limited to) the following:

-J20 possesses lerx on the main wing
-Differences in edge alignments between the canard/wing trailing edges with consideration to stealth
-The shape of the cockpit
-The angles that the rudders are canted

One could also observe the following differences if viewing both planes from the frontal and side aspects:

-Shape of the nose (J20's nose is much more similiar to that of F22's nose, but so could the same be said of PAKFA's nose)
-Shape of the intake (this one is pretty significant here as the Mig 1.44 has intakes on the under sides, whereas the J20 has side intakes with DSI shaping)
-Shape of the rudder is completely different and the difference in the angles that the rudders are canted is much more obvious when viewed from the frontal aspect.
That is why I said the J-20 is a more refined version of the 1.44 with respect to progress in aviation and low radar observability need.

If we make the prototypes ourselves this mean even more delays ??

Why? We only integrate the parts that we want to change, while the basic protoype will be similar to the once Russia have. In fact we might not even see a difference at the early prototypes, since the differences should be internal once mainly (materials, avionics, possibly cockpit displays).

Why? We only integrate the parts that we want to change, while the basic protoype will be similar to the once Russia have. In fact we might not even see a difference at the early prototypes, since the differences should be internal once mainly (materials, avionics, possibly cockpit displays).

If the modifications are not very extensive then its ok but I afraid if we try to develop something overambitious.

If the modifications are not very extensive then its ok but I afraid if we try to develop something overambitious.

In this case, the bulk of the work will be done by Russians anyway, but if we had decided for a single seater earlier, we could have been involved far earlier in the project and to a greater extend in the design stage. But in India decisions take too long and people don't understand the benefits of co-developments.

r05v1x.jpg

When will Russia begin with the weapons test with T-50? Wold be interesting to see the weapons they are using for PAK-FA.

When will Russia begin with the weapons test with T-50? Wold be interesting to see the weapons they are using for PAK-FA.

They are integrating randar and other systems in the latest prototypes, but they are also still developing the weapon package for the Pak Fa, so it might still take some time.
Besides A2A weapons, SEAD and PGMs will be part of the package for sure!

They are integrating randar and other systems in the latest prototypes, but they are also still developing the weapon package for the Pak Fa, so it might still take some time.

Once they finish with radar / associated electronics integration and develop the weapons package, then the real business will begin.

What do you think of French weapons in PAKFA, like MICA? would it be good to have a mix of Russian and French weapons in PAKFA. As for Russian A2A missiles I somehow dont trust them to be accurate...

What do you think of French weapons in PAKFA, like MICA? would it be good to have a mix of Russian and French weapons in PAKFA. As for Russian A2A missiles I somehow dont trust them to be accurate...

That was true a decade back but now the russians have regained a lot from international sources and on there own aswell there is no reason to beleave that russian hardware any less potent than its american or french counterparts + we have that advantage aswell it wont be a surprize when youl see a lot of french /israeli stuff on the PAKFA Or FGFA whatever comes to india :cheers:

French weapons would be a great addition, especially MICA. For current generation fighters, BVR missiles with long range and no escape zones are important, to shoot the missiles from safe distances, that's why METEOR will be a good step forwards.
For 5th gen fighters on the other side, which have the advantage of stealth and can get way closer to the targets without beeing detected, short to medium range missiles like MICA are preferable! MICA is smaller and lighter than Astra or R77 versions, which means FGFA might be able to carry more of them at once and since all MICA version can be used in WVR as well as BVR, FGFA could multiply it's combat capability.
However, MICA is a very costly missile, because of the variety of capabilities and the limited production numbers. One reason I would have loved to see an extention of the Maitri SAM co-development, to a joint MICA replacement as well. The French forces will replace MICA EM with METEOR by 2018, but have not selected a replacement for MICA IR so far. UK could be a possible partner for a joint development, but with Maitri co-development, we already have the base and could easialy develop an air 2 air missile based on that as well.

AASM is also an excellent PGM, with a lot of good capabilities, but as MICA it suffers from a high unit cost. With Russian and more importantly our own bomb developments, I don't think AASM would be integrated to FGFA. The Israeli SPICE PGM might have higher chances now and could offer a good addition to Sudharshan bomb kits.

With 5th gen planes employing a particular weapons bay configuration, I think it would be harder to use foreign weapons unless the bay configuration allows that. May be a universal weapons bay is the answer if India is considering using French weapons. Russians would not want that.

Back
Top Bottom