What's new

Swedish Gripen upbeat on India's combat jet order

We need to start getting offensive in our approach,
I have feeling we will be getting
66 Hornets for the Navy
60 Hornets for the Airforce
84 MiG 35 for the Airforce
V/STOL for the LPD, along with Helicopter Gunships while troop landing CAS

I am sure you can see the difference in our approach with the LPD, Plans to increase the Coast Guard, Procuring more troop landing carriers, simultaneous building of IAC and Vikramaditya. ATV, PAD, etc Things are changing fast

If not the Hornets, CAn we have the Best out there plz, Eurofighter Tranche III

We need to start getting offensive in our approach,
I have feeling we will be getting
66 Hornets for the Navy
60 Hornets for the Airforce
84 MiG 35 for the Airforce
V/STOL for the LPD, along with Helicopter Gunships while troop landing CAS

I am sure you can see the difference in our approach with the LPD, Plans to increase the Coast Guard, Procuring more troop landing carriers, simultaneous building of IAC and Vikramaditya. ATV, PAD, etc Things are changing fast

Yes, we are getting offensive in our approach, the governments and armed forces are finally maturing, and i say it is lovely to see that. The problem has always been our defensive attitude, which has invited adventureisms from others. We need to get offensive, and take the first shot, not just defend our own territory. The LPD indicates that with a bang along with the innumerous excercises with foreign nations.

What you suggested above, though superb is simply not possible. Its been clearly said, though sad to say it, that the MRCA order is just for 126 and not 200 planes. And the way things are progressing, it looks as though there will be a single order, not a split one, and 99.99% chances are of MiG bagging it.
Though now i see your POV about F-18, i agree, that F-18's are equally needed.

We already have VSTOL for LPD-Sea Harrier. MiG 29K's gonna be on Vikramaditya, soon Vikrant will be retired, then what do with Harriers. Already got Mi 35, plus developing LCH.

Yes, we are getting offensive in our approach, the governments and armed forces are finally maturing, and i say it is lovely to see that. The problem has always been our defensive attitude, which has invited adventureisms from others. We need to get offensive, and take the first shot, not just defend our own territory. The LPD indicates that with a bang along with the innumerous excercises with foreign nations.

What you suggested above, though superb is simply not possible. Its been clearly said, though sad to say it, that the MRCA order is just for 126 and not 200 planes. And the way things are progressing, it looks as though there will be a single order, not a split one, and 99.99% chances are of MiG bagging it.
Though now i see your POV about F-18, i agree, that F-18's are equally needed.

We already have VSTOL for LPD-Sea Harrier. MiG 29K's gonna be on Vikramaditya, soon Vikrant will be retired, then what do with Harriers. Already got Mi 35, plus developing LCH.

Sea harrier, better to discard them and get something else. something to the level VSTOL used by USMC or the Gr2 of the RN. You are right, though F/A 18 is the right choice, This is going to bagged by the MIG 35, they have made a good impression in Aero India 07, I just hope all those impressive flying hasnt blinded our babu's the real objective of buying the MMRCA- Strike,
There have been reports after Last Navy chief flew the Rafale and Hornet, Wanted the Hornet for the navy, slew reports after that stating MMRCA increased to 200. As you said it is 126 Mig's by all means. We need something for out LPD's. I suggest Ka-52 erdogan pure russian genious with israeli gadgets. but it is too lightly armoured.

When Antony announced that Coast Guard should gaurd the coast, and the Navy should venture out, Gave out clear signals.

We are still stuck at 2.3% of GDP for Armed Forces, I suggest increase the Navy Personnel size from present 53,000 to 1,00,000. Along with increase in % of GDP to 3.5 %. Which would bring out total defence budget to around 30-35 billion annually. Increasing IA salary, basic infrastructure development given priority over weapons acquisition. Lots to be done in the next decade, I just hope and pray there are people with some vision over there who think about international politics not some half assed domestic issues..
I am talking like a kid and i am freaking 24...lol

Well, we know MiG 35 its going to be, unless there is a miracle and the order is split, cuz there is NO WAY that MiG 35 will not be ordered.

Sea Harriers are old yes, but they are sufficient for our LPD's in teh short term, in the next 10 years though, we should focus on something better, VTOL version of F-35 is there for use by USMC, its final, they will be using this plane.

As regards to defence expenditure, i am not in favour of it crossing 3% GDP mark. India desperately needs money elsewhere. We cannot spend so much of our money in defense alone. Infrastructure, etc is the place to pour money as it will bring more money in the country, so for long term, this is the way to go. I should think that 3% should be the limit for our defense expenditure for atleast the next 5-10 years, depending on the situation then.

Malay

What is the salary of an avg indian soldier ?

And I meant Infrastructure in the Indian Military, such as homes, offices, hQ's and the rest in the above post

Depends on which rank, though since you asked this question, i am sure you have the answer as well, and the next thing you would say is that it is not enough, and much more needs to be done, and for that more budget has to be allocated. Am i right or am i right?

Hmm you guessed by diatribe...

Avg indian soldier an infantry-man

Its around 6500/month take home cash, Think about it, Thats what they die for, JCO's are pretty sad too.......Economics plays a lot; This is where the problem lies wether it is those one of custodial deaths, leaves issue, ...

This where we have to improve, the grass roots level, You should have seen the number of IAF pilots in Sabena Flight Academy so as to take VRS and get into KF and other private airlines..

And I could settle with the 3% you qouted,

So i was right:P

Yeah, i am FULLY for the army, i wish they get much more salary and the army infrastructure should be VASTLY improved, it is in shambles presently compared to what we actually need. And this requires a HUGE amount of money as our army as well as our country too are HUGE. And that mandates a higher percentage, but if we increase the defense expenditure too much, too fast then it would be like the proverbial killing of the golden goose, the economy.

Its this economy which has made it possible for us to buy more and more equipment for our soldiers, and if we jump the gun then we would strangle it. The priority needs to be economic bottlenecks, like infrasructure which is vital to it, investing money in this would in the long run bring about MUCH MORE money, which would in turn increse the amount spent on defense needs. So i donot want to see a huge jump in military expenditure in atleast the next 7 years. By that time, we would have stable growth and MUCH MUCH more money would be available.

3% is not a problem, it is the global average anyways. wether it is Russia or the US. So I am sure we could handle it, IF you ask we are underspending now.

I have seen the regimental HQ of the Madras Regiment, Trust it is the biggest mess I have ever seen in my life, At the same time Navy is better off. But Airforce and Army quite bad. This were you respect the Pakistani's a lot, They take care of their soldiers better than us, and they do have a better infrastructure when it comes to soldier housing and the likes

Improved Lifestyle, will negate a lot of bad things in the army. It makes them feel important and worth the effort. Look at it this way An average call center guy makes 3 times the salary of an infantry man. This is just plain unfair.

Its like those NDTV "We the People", Barkha Dutt has done a lot more than the government. I hate seeing ex-soldier standing security Guard in some low-life hotel after their stint in the army. They stand on those Borders protecting us, the least we could is actually pay them what is due, Respect them for what their doing, Do you know the only War Memorial we have was actually built by the british for their role in WW 1 and 2. No memorial for 48,62,65,71,99, It is the fault of the Armed forces and moreover the government

Hmm you guessed by diatribe...

Avg indian soldier an infantry-man

Its around 6500/month take home cash, Think about it, Thats what they die for, JCO's are pretty sad too.......Economics plays a lot; This is where the problem lies wether it is those one of custodial deaths, leaves issue, ...

This where we have to improve, the grass roots level, You should have seen the number of IAF pilots in Sabena Flight Academy so as to take VRS and get into KF and other private airlines..

I have dozens of close relations in the Pak Armed forces. IMO it is incorrect to compare just the salary. Dont know about India, but in PA , in addition to the salary. they get accommodation and free medical. Also good pentions and they cant be dismissed easily.

One of close friends was a Naval Commodore ( now retired) and once he was complaining about the low salary. His house was a very large bunglow, no civilain accept a millionare could afford it. He and his family got the best medical care avaialble in Pakistan. Navy provided him with free transportation and telephones and also free servants. When we added, his total perks amounted to more than salary of Gen Manager of an oil refinery; whoes salary on paper was nearly 5 times higher but had to pay for every thing from his salary after Tax !.

At least in Pakistan armed forces provides much better living condition than other employment, that is why more people want to get in at every level than can be absorbed.

Of course in India, where in IT industry a monthly salary of 3/4 lakh rupees is quite common, the case would be different.

Niaz

Pakistan has always taken care of its soldiers, I cant say the same for indians. In India they are finding it difficult to recurit soldiers , especially of the officers classes. YEs they do over here recieve a lot of benefits, but unfortunatly that is not enough, actually it is not barely enough. Cash in its liquid form, is the most important...salary should be increased !!!!!especially since now we can afford it

I have dozens of close relations in the Pak Armed forces. IMO it is incorrect to compare just the salary. Dont know about India, but in PA , in addition to the salary. they get accommodation and free medical. Also good pentions and they cant be dismissed easily.

One of close friends was a Naval Commodore ( now retired) and once he was complaining about the low salary. His house was a very large bunglow, no civilain accept a millionare could afford it. He and his family got the best medical care avaialble in Pakistan. Navy provided him with free transportation and telephones and also free servants. When we added, his total perks amounted to more than salary of Gen Manager of an oil refinery; whoes salary on paper was nearly 5 times higher but had to pay for every thing from his salary after Tax !.

At least in Pakistan armed forces provides much better living condition than other employment, that is why more people want to get in at every level than can be absorbed.

Of course in India, where in IT industry a monthly salary of 3/4 lakh rupees is quite common, the case would be different.

I completely agree Niaz, Pakistan gives much better facilities to its soldiers.
The monthly salary is not quite common ,but then again, its not uncommon either.

Then there are those who pass out of IIT's and IIM's, and they earn so much it makes some peeps sick, MNC's just keep giving them money. When so much money is being earned by civilians, the army deserves a lot more.

Personal note:
This time IBM took more than 30 students from my branch at college and Infosys took round 40 ie Computer Science Engg., so im very happy :D, means i got a shot at campus placement by MNC's as well. W00t!!

Engg gets peanuts, compared to MBA's and even BBM graduate;s...... But things change when Engg students takes MBA , They just shoot up. Wierd.

Back
Top Bottom