What's new

Sydney or Melbourne - Where to go after Immigration?

Conqueror

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello Australian Fellows,

I have got Permanent Residence Visa for Australia and I am set to sail in around couple of months time. I have a crucial decision to make for which I am seeking your advise.

I have two places in mind where I can go. Sydney or Melbourne. I am into IT/Media business my consultant advised me to choose Melbourne, however on internet, I am finding economy of Sydney is better and and new comers like me might find it easier to settle there.

I also want to do another Masters in Communication (I have Masters in Multimedia Arts already) and I have found University of Melbourne and University of Sydney both have good programs for that. So I am kind of stuck between two goods.

I need to know your thoughts and suggestions I would be thankful for your sincere advise in this regard.

Thanks

The sorta field you are in, both Sydney and Melbourne is fine for you. However I prefer Sydney over Melbourne.

Hello Roy,

Are you studying there or have you migrated for long term settelment. Which city of Australia are you located?

Also suggest me which is the approach for accommodation? I am currently moving alone but in few months time my wife and baby would join me. I have found 1-2 bedroom house is for nearly $350-$400 a week. Is there any cheaper approach towards accommodation than that? Since I have family along, I won't be looking to share that. Can I find better accommodation in suburbs?

I thank you for you valuable advise and suggestions.

Sydney would be better IMHO - but if you do go to Melbourne gimme a buzz , i have a few contacts over there.

Hello Roy,

Are you studying there or have you migrated for long term settelment. Which city of Australia are you located?

Also suggest me which is the approach for accommodation? I am currently moving alone but in few months time my wife and baby would join me. I have found 1-2 bedroom house is for nearly $350-$400 a week. Is there any cheaper approach towards accommodation than that? Since I have family along, I won't be looking to share that. Can I find better accommodation in suburbs?

I thank you for you valuable advise and suggestions.

I moved here with my family, when I was a kid, about 15 years ago. So am here for good. I lived in Melbourne for few years, moved to sydney for Uni, and then work. My work involves lot of traveling, but am based in Sydney.

About accommodation, yes suburbs would definitely be cheaper. Sydney has got pretty good train connections, so basically the further away you live from the city the cheaper it gets.

Plus since you are a muslim you'd want to be closer to a mosque as well? I know few suburbs in western sydney area which has good Pakistani/Indian population, which means Indian/Pakistani grocery shops and restaurants.

Mount Druitt(Not the best suburb, but getting better)- About 50 minutes direct train to Sydney Central- Big Pakistani Population- Mosque- India/Pakistani shops-huge shopping center. It used to be low income suburb, so has its share of junkies, but with the migrants moving in has got better. Rent(2 bedroom unit 250/week)

Quakers Hill-Decent suburb-About 50 minutes train ride- Massive Punjabi restaurant/mithai ke dukan:lol:- few Pakistani/Indian grocery shops-Decent shopping centre. Working class suburb. Rent (250-350/week) for 2 bedroom townhouse. Mosque Blacktown-Hills Islamic Centre

Blacktown- About 40 mins train ride to Sydney Central--Few Indian/Pakistani grocery stores, restuarants, huge shopping center. Rent( 250-300/week)--Pretty mixed population, has its share of junkies specially during night time.

Parramatta/Harris Park: 30 mins train ride to Sydney Central. This is Indian Central:lol, although many Pakistanis, Afghans and Bangladeshis live there too. Packed with students and migrants, at least 20 Indian restaurants and just as many grocery shop. Massive shopping center. Auburn mosque close by. Rent (300-350/week). Pretty much Australian version of South Hall, London.

Auburn/Granville: 25 mins train ride . Rent about the same as Parramatta. Not the safest of the suburbs. Has a big muslim population though, and a mosque. Few Indians/Bangladeshis/Afghans/Pakistanis/Nepalis there. Has some Lebanese, Turkish and Islander and now African gang problems.

Homebush/Strathfield: 20 Mins to central. Lot of people from sub continent , specially srilankans. Indian/Pakistani Grocery stores/ shopping center. Rent 350-450/week.

Then there is suburbs like Bankstown and Lakemba which has mosques and decent muslim population. I insist on mosques because its a good place to meet and network with people, who ll help you with all sorts of stuff. And decent muslim population means that there will be a halal butcher shop close by.

Some of the wesbites for renting,

Rental Properties, Homes for Rent and Apartments to Lease - realestate.com.au

http://www.domain.com.au/

Keep in touch buddy. :cheers:

Hello Roy,

Thank you so much for your detailed post and guidance. I have been considering both Sydney and Melbourne and I have finally picked Melbourne for the city because of few reasons. One - I want to do another Masters there in Australia and from University of Melbourne I have found a course which goes with my plans pretty well. That is about Masters in Arts Management and my earlier Masters in Media Arts make a great combination.

I have been browsing Melbourne through Google Street View and I have found Speakmen Street, Kensington, Victoria, Australia is one nice looking place. Nice looking because I have found an ad over Criaglist.org (A nice apartment @Speakman Street Kensington) which is offering an apartment for $120 (I hope that is for a week but not sure). Also I am looking for a low-cost peaceful place to live in because my wife is simple in many ways and I have a 2 years old son who extremely naughty. I need a place where they both will be safe and comfortable during the hours I am out at job. So If you know other places which may offer a similar low rent then please guide me. I don't want to live miles away from the city centre because of travelling cost and your advise in this regard would be nothing less than a treasure.

I thank you again for taking time and writing such a long and valuable post.

Kind Regards

Hello Aeronaut,

Thank you for the post and suggestion. I agree Sydney is a good place but I have chosen Melbourne because of Study as well as with a view to sponsor my brother for the visa. My consultant has told me that if I am in Victoria, my brother will get 10 additional points because of territory. So considering both reasons, I am happy to move to Melbourne.

Now comes the biggest question which I want to ask everybody before leaving.. who are the people who I can have a commonality with.. the countrymen or desi guys who know what language we speak and how much "khatta" should be put in "Dahi Bhalle". :D So please guide me and help me connect with all the nice people you know of. I am moving with family, a simple humble wife and a naughty baby boy so knowing other families would be good in many ways for them as well.

Another very elementry concern is "where should I head to in Melbourne". I don't know anybody at all who could take me as guest for a night. Hotels could be an option but I would prefer not to go there and I would be delighted if I could rent a place before landing there in Melbourne.

For renting the apartment I have searched online real-estate website but most of them are quite expensive. 300-350 a week is more than I could afford without having a job first. Cariaglist.org is good and I have found few $120 offers but not sure if I could get them as I will be arriving there in 6 weeks time. If you have any suggestions, advise then I would be more than thankful to you for that.

Also there is a http://paam.org.au/ which I have found and which might be able to help me. Do you know anybody who is in the members list? yesterday I called them but an answering machine spoke which recorded my message. Not sure if they will get back to me and I am also not aware what they can do for a new comer like me. Please advise me in this regard if you can.

I thank you for your time and attention.

Many thanks and Regards

I have got Permanent Residence Visa for Australia and I am set to sail in around couple of months time. I have a crucial decision to make for which I am seeking your advise.

I have two places in mind where I can go. Sydney or Melbourne. I am into IT/Media business my consultant advised me to choose Melbourne, however on internet, I am finding economy of Sydney is better and and new comers like me might find it easier to settle there.

I also want to do another Masters in Communication (I have Masters in Multimedia Arts already) and I have found University of Melbourne and University of Sydney both have good programs for that. So I am kind of stuck between two goods.

I need to know your thoughts and suggestions I would be thankful for your sincere advise in this regard.

Thanks

I would say Sydney is definitely better than Melbourne...

Thanks

Melbourne becomes the comedy capital of the world.this is the most beautiful city with an enormous program of theater, street performance, film, television, radio and visual arts. Melbourne is very nice place if you want to live in Melbourne. Melbourne is very safe place in the world.

Melbourne probably will suite your best; it's the most culturally vibrant city of Australia.

Melbourne probably will suite your best; it's the most culturally vibrant city of Australia.

I agree with you. I think Melbourne is very good place because there are many sources to grow up.For this purpose, "Melbourne art schools" plays an important role to make your career bright.so, i think Melbourne is good option.

I moved here with my family, when I was a kid, about 15 years ago. So am here for good. I lived in Melbourne for few years, moved to sydney for Uni, and then work. My work involves lot of traveling, but am based in Sydney.

About accommodation, yes suburbs would definitely be cheaper. Sydney has got pretty good train connections, so basically the further away you live from the city the cheaper it gets.

Plus since you are a muslim you'd want to be closer to a mosque as well? I know few suburbs in western sydney area which has good Pakistani/Indian population, which means Indian/Pakistani grocery shops and restaurants.

Mount Druitt(Not the best suburb, but getting better)- About 50 minutes direct train to Sydney Central- Big Pakistani Population- Mosque- India/Pakistani shops-huge shopping center. It used to be low income suburb, so has its share of junkies, but with the migrants moving in has got better. Rent(2 bedroom unit 250/week)

Quakers Hill-Decent suburb-About 50 minutes train ride- Massive Punjabi restaurant/mithai ke dukan:lol:- few Pakistani/Indian grocery shops-Decent shopping centre. Working class suburb. Rent (250-350/week) for 2 bedroom townhouse. Mosque
Blacktown- About 40 mins train ride to Sydney Central--Few Indian/Pakistani grocery stores, restuarants, huge shopping center. Rent( 250-300/week)--Pretty mixed population, has its share of junkies specially during night time.

Parramatta/Harris Park: 30 mins train ride to Sydney Central. This is Indian Central:lol, although many Pakistanis, Afghans and Bangladeshis live there too. Packed with students and migrants, at least 20 Indian restaurants and just as many grocery shop. Massive shopping center. Auburn mosque close by. Rent (300-350/week). Pretty much Australian version of South Hall, London.

Auburn/Granville: 25 mins train ride . Rent about the same as Parramatta. Not the safest of the suburbs. Has a big muslim population though, and a mosque. Few Indians/Bangladeshis/Afghans/Pakistanis/Nepalis there. Has some Lebanese, Turkish and Islander and now African gang problems.

Homebush/Strathfield: 20 Mins to central. Lot of people from sub continent , specially srilankans. Indian/Pakistani Grocery stores/ shopping center. Rent 350-450/week.

Then there is suburbs like Bankstown and Lakemba which has mosques and decent muslim population. I insist on mosques because its a good place to meet and network with people, who ll help you with all sorts of stuff. And decent muslim population means that there will be a halal butcher shop close by.

Some of the wesbites for renting,

Keep in touch buddy. :cheers:

hello roy, very nice!!

Hello sir my family got permanent residency skilled class immig to melbourne my husband is going in feb .. Me & my infant baby will join him in march i just need your help to know how u shift ur home stuff from ur country to melbourne as i m living in pakistan right now . We have got extra baggage total 40 k from emirates airline but it is not enough to move kitchen stuff i am considering options to consider cheap cargo rates that help me to move my important stuff to elbourne australia plz help me

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom