What's new

Taliban chief Akhtar Mansoor dead, Taliban deny.

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Taliban chief Akhtar Mansoor is dead
USA

Afghan Taliban leader Mansour 'probably killed' in US air strike

_85835815_85835814.jpg

Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour has probably been killed in a US air strike, US officials say.

He and another male combatant were targeted as they rode in a vehicle in a remote area of Pakistan close to the Afghan border, the officials said.

The Pentagon has confirmed it targeted Mansour in strikes but said they were still assessing the results.

Mansour assumed the leadership in July 2015, replacing Taliban founder and spiritual head Mullah Mohammad Omar.

False rumours have often surrounded Taliban leaders.

Omar died in 2013 but this was only confirmed by the Taliban two years later, while Mansour was reported to have been killed in a gun battle last year, something dismissed by the Afghan government.

Mansour's appointment as Taliban chief was disputed, with a rival group selecting their own leader.

The Pentagon's statement said Mansour was actively involved with planning attacks "presenting a threat to Afghan civilians and security forces, our personnel, and Coalition partners".

The Taliban have made gains since international troops withdrew from an active fighting role in 2014.

Nato forces are increasingly being deployed in battle zones to support Afghan forces fighting the Taliban.

Who is Mullah Mansour?

• Long seen as acting head of the Taliban, and close to its founder Mullah Omar
    • Born in the 1960s, in Kandahar province, where he later served as shadow governor after the Taliban's fall
    • Was civil aviation minister during the Taliban's rule in Afghanistan
    • Had an active role in drug trafficking, according to the UN
    • Has clashed with Abdul Qayum Zakir, a senior military commander, amid a power struggle and differences over negotiations with the Afghan government
BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36351990

Last edited:
Pentagon Confirmed on Friday.
TV channels..................

What plan?

Apart from Mullah akhtar there is only one other group powerful enough to take over the leadership of Taliban which is Haqqani network. Haqqani is the perfect candidate as he is hated by Americans and Afghan government alike and bear a ruthless image. If pakistan can exert its influence properly they will be able to bring haqqanis to the table and end this nightmare once and for all.

Its just something someone once old me and i actually took it as a joke but it is starting to make sense. Who knows maybe all hell will break loose now but its just a theory.

The future of Afghanistan is now unclear, either the break away faction is going to take over, or another will replace him. No matter what the outcome, the one to come to power will most likely be anti-peace. Mansoor was thought to be one of the few taliban leaders that were pro-talks, despite his skepticism. With him dead, the chances are that the war will probably be extended for far longer than it should've been.

If the point was to pressure Pakistan into taking military action against the Afghan taliban, by killing any chance of peace talks, it's not going to work. More than likely, what will happen is that the Afghan taliban will leave Pakistan completely before any potential action can be taken. Then they'll abandon any chance of talks, and continue their campaign of violence.

At this point, Pakistan should kick out the Afghan taliban back to Afghanistan, fence + maintain the border, and forget Afghanistan even exists.

Apart from Mullah akhtar there is only one other group powerful enough to take over the leadership of Taliban which is Haqqani network. Haqqani is the perfect candidate as he is hated by Americans and Afghan government alike and bear a ruthless image. If pakistan can exert its influence properly they will be able to bring haqqanis to the table and end this nightmare once and for all.

Its just something someone once old me and i actually took it as a joke but it is starting to make sense. Who knows maybe all hell will break loose now but its just a theory.
Except this doesn't make sense. Mansoor was known to be willing to begin talks, which is one of the main reasons why his leadership was challenged in the first place. Not to mention that the haqqanis may be powerful, but they're not well trusted within talibani factions, there is little reason to believe that they'd be able to (if they're even willing) to unite a large portion of the taliban under their command.

On the other hand, there have been previous indications that the HQN was one of the factions that Pakistan had convinced to join serious talks, and were reportedly (rumor) open to a ceasefire.

I don't think the US is looking to start talks, I seriously don't. Their reluctance at the previous QCG meeting was evidence enough that they expected Pakistan to start military action against the Afghan taliban. It was only at Chinese insistence that Kabul and Washington agreed to give peace talks a chance, but it seems that the US was probably giving a token nod in approval, while making plans to unilaterally try and end these talks, and force Pakistan into military action.

The future of Afghanistan is now unclear, either the break away faction is going to take over, or another will replace him. No matter what the outcome, the one to come to power will most likely be anti-peace. Mansoor was thought to be one of the few taliban leaders that were pro-talks, despite his skepticism. With him dead, the chances are that the war will probably be extended for far longer than it should've been.

If the point was to pressure Pakistan into taking military action against the Afghan taliban, by killing any chance of peace talks, it's not going to work. More than likely, what will happen is that the Afghan taliban will leave Pakistan completely before any potential action can be taken. Then they'll abandon any chance of talks, and continue their campaign of violence.

At this point, Pakistan should kick out the Afghan taliban back to Afghanistan, fence + maintain the border, and forget Afghanistan even exists.

Except this doesn't make sense. Mansoor was known to be willing to begin talks, which is one of the main reasons why his leadership was challenged in the first place. Not to mention that the haqqanis may be powerful, but they're not well trusted within talibani factions, there is little reason to believe that they'd be able to (if they're even willing) to unite a large portion of the taliban under their command.

On the other hand, there have been previous indications that the HQN was one of the factions that Pakistan had convinced to join serious talks, and were reportedly (rumor) open to a ceasefire.

I don't think the US is looking to start talks, I seriously don't. Their reluctance at the previous QCG meeting was evidence enough that they expected Pakistan to start military action against the Afghan taliban. It was only at Chinese insistence that Kabul and Washington agreed to give peace talks a chance, but it seems that the US was probably giving a token nod in approval, while making plans to unilaterally try and end these talks, and force Pakistan into military action.
Is it just a coincidence that most of Taliban leaders were killed whenever they got inclined to peace and talks instead of guns. Naik Muhammad, Bait-ullah Mehsud, Hakim-ullah Mehsud from TTP were killed only when they were indulged in peace talks.....Mullah Omar's death news was leaked during the peace talks and talks were sabotaged....and now Mullah Mansour....is it just a coincidence?

I doubt Pakistan will ever agree to any conflict against afghan taliban as they are our only hope to isolate india in Afghanistan. From what i can see Americans might turn to us as no. 1 target as they are no longer engaged with Iran.

This is so perfectly timed by CIA.
I thought Mullah Akhtar Mansour usually hangs around in Quetta. What was he doing at the border?

So Afghan Taliban leadership was indeed in Pakistan despite what Pakistan says. It's getting boring now.

I doubt Pakistan will ever agree to any conflict against afghan taliban as they are our only hope to isolate india in Afghanistan. From what i can see Americans might turn to us as no. 1 target as they are no longer engaged with Iran.

- You guys are making difficult for yourself quite frankly by following this policy of supporting these groups. Pakistan a country with nukes being quite rapidly isolated on the world state = next North Korea ?

Hope sane Pakistanis take an objective look at where these policies have taken Pakistan to ?

Wonder how will ISPR spin this one?

Well, there go the peace talks, good job.

What talks ? They have refused it quite blatantly and blew score people in Kabul and showed the middle finger to Talks.

- Afghan side has maintained no more , talks the Talis will be dealt with militarily.

What talks ? They have refused it quite blatantly and blew score people in Kabul and showed the middle finger to Talks.

- Afghan side has maintained no more , talks the Talis will be dealt with militarily.
Because military solutions have worked so well so far, right? The taliban have already shown that they're very capable of replacing their numbers. Do you think Mansoor's death is going to affect Afghan taliban? It won't, he'll be replaced, and the movement will just get more dangerous.

Talks don't just happen over night, people need convincing, and Pakistan was reportedly close to doing just that. The first real talks, Afghanistan purposefully sabotaged; these new talks, Afghanistan refuses to even consider.

Kabul isn't showing the middle finger to talks, it's showing the middle finger to any hope of a potential end to the fighting.

The Afghan taliban are no longer required to isolate India in Afghanistan, and haven't been for a long time. Pakistan has better methods now, Ghani was the biggest chance Pakistan had, and both sides screwed any chance of good relations.

Because military solutions have worked so well so far, right? The taliban have already shown that they're very capable of replacing their numbers. Do you think Mansoor's death is going to affect Afghan taliban? It won't, he'll be replaced, and the movement will just get more dangerous.
Would you extend the same logic to TTP?
The only good taliban is the crispy one.

Back
Top Bottom