What's new

Taliban Losses Are No Sure Gain for Pakistanis

Do you know the difference between ta'zeer and hadd? This hadith is in Bukhari and Muslim:
حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ حَدَّثَنِى ابْنُ وَهْبٍ أَخْبَرَنِى عَمْرٌو أَنَّ بُكَيْرًا حَدَّثَهُ قَالَ بَيْنَمَا أَنَا جَالِسٌ عِنْدَ سُلَيْمَانَ بْنِ يَسَارٍ إِذْ جَاءَ عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ جَابِرٍ فَحَدَّثَ سُلَيْمَانَ بْنَ يَسَارٍ ثُمَّ أَقْبَلَ عَلَيْنَا سُلَيْمَانُ بْنُ يَسَارٍ فَقَالَ حَدَّثَنِى عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ جَابِرٍ أَنَّ أَبَاهُ حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّهُ سَمِعَ أَبَا بُرْدَةَ الأَنْصَارِىَّ قَالَ سَمِعْتُ النَّبِىَّ - صلى الله عليه وسلم - يَقُولُ « لاَ تَجْلِدُوا فَوْقَ عَشْرَةِ أَسْوَاطٍ إِلاَّ فِى حَدٍّ مِنْ حُدُودِ اللَّهِ​

" Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: None should be given more than ten lashes, except in case of any Hadd out of the Hudood of Allah (where it is more)."

Do u know when ta'zeer can be applied. Music is one of the instances.

That depends on which Islamic school of thought you follow. The general view amongst most schools & Muslims is that music is allowed in Islam, only a few schools & sects are against it. I'm presuming you are a follower of such a school.

That depends on which Islamic school of thought you follow. The general view amongst most schools & Muslims is that music is allowed in Islam, only a few schools & sects are against it. I'm presuming you are a follower of such a school.

Totally wrong, the vast majority of classical Ulema were of the view that Music is haram

Alright, prove it. Provide a viable link and I may believe you.

The issue of music has some details in it, for example we need to define what we are referring to exactly so as not to cause confusion.

Singing songs (anasheed) which do not contain any haram lyrics accompanied by the beating of the duff would be considered permissible on certain occasions of happiness etc. This would not be the haram form of music.Even this has its conditions and restrictions which I will not get into right now

The music we are accustomed to in our times does not fall into the above category and is therefor impermissible.

One of the textual evidences for the prohibition is the hadith

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari)

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is a saheeh hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, where he quoted it as evidence.

This hadith indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol. If they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things?

Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This hadeeth indicates that ma’aazif are haraam, and ma’aazif means musical instruments according to the scholars of (Arabic) language. This word includes all such instruments. (al-Majmoo’, 11/535).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: And concerning the same topic similar comments were narrated from Sahl ibn Sa’d al-Saa’idi, ‘Imraan ibn Husayn, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas, Abu Hurayrah, Abu Umaamah al-Baahili, ‘Aa’ishah Umm al-Mu’mineen, ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, Anas ibn Maalik, ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Saabit and al-Ghaazi ibn Rabee’ah. Then he mentioned it in Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, and it indicates that they (musical instruments) are haraam.

It was narrated that Naafi’ (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Ibn ‘Umar heard a woodwind instrument, and he put his fingers in his ears and kept away from that path. He said to me, O Naafi’, can you hear anything? I said, No. So he took his fingers away from his ears and said: I was with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he heard something like this, and he did the same thing. (Saheeh Abi Dawood). Some insignificant person said that this hadeeth does not prove that musical instruments are haraam, because if that were so, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have instructed Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) to put his fingers in his ears as well, and Ibn ‘Umar would have instructed Naafi’ to do likewise! The response to this is: He was not listening to it, but he could hear it. There is a difference between listening and hearing. Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Concerning (music) which a person does not intend to listen to, there is no prohibition or blame, according to scholarly consensus. Hence blame or praise is connected to listening, not to hearing. The one who listens to the Qur’aan will be rewarded for it, whereas the one who hears it without intending or wanting to will not be rewarded for that, because actions are judged by intentions. The same applies to musical instruments which are forbidden: if a person hears them without intending to, that does not matter. (al-Majmoo’, 10/78).

Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the listener is the one who intends to hear, which was not the case with Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both); what happened in his case was hearing. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) needed to know when the sound stopped because he had moved away from that path and blocked his ears. So he did not want to go back to that path or unblock his ears until the noise had stopped, so when he allowed Ibn ‘Umar to continue hearing it, this was because of necessity. (al-Mughni, 10/173)

(Even though the hearing referred to in the comments of the two imaams is makrooh, it was permitted because of necessity, as we will see below in the comments of Imaam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him). And Allaah knows best).

The views of the scholars (imaams) of Islam

Al-Qaasim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Singing is part of falsehood. Al-Hasan (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: if there is music involved in a dinner invitation (waleemah), do not accept the invitation (al-Jaami by al-Qayrawaani, p. 262-263).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The view of the four Imaams is that all kinds of musical instruments are haraam. It was reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari and elsewhere that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that there would be among his ummah those who would allow zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments, and he said that they would be transformed into monkeys and pigs… None of the followers of the imaams mentioned any dispute concerning the matter of music. (al-Majmoo’, 11/576).

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Among the types of earnings which are haraam by scholarly consensus are ribaa, the fee of a prostitute, anything forbidden, bribes, payment for wailing over the dead and singing, payments to fortune-tellers and those who claim to know the unseen and astrologers, payments for playing flutes, and all kinds of gambling. (al-Kaafi).

There is much more that could be said more Ulema could be quoted more texts could be used to prove the point beyond doubt but for the sake of brevity and the fact that the above is more than sufficient I'll leave it at that.

Music has always been a lot controversial. But the limits are there.
HAZRAT ALI HAJVERY aka DATA GUNJ BUKHSH in his book, KASH-ul MAHJUB has described that that music which strays you away from GOD is unislamic & that music which brings you closer to GOD is allowed. By this he means the GOD ways and there is very thin lins between these.
In short any form of music which displays lust & wrong lyrics is not admissible

Music has always been a lot controversial. But the limits are there.
HAZRAT ALI HAJVERY aka DATA GUNJ BUKHSH in his book, KASH-ul MAHJUB has described that that music which strays you away from GOD is unislamic & that music which brings you closer to GOD is allowed. By this he means the GOD ways and there is very thin lins between these.
In short any form of music which displays lust & wrong lyrics is not admissible

Honestly I fail to fathom such mentality. Why should everything, including Music, go under the scanner of Mullahs? Just listen to whatever you like, whatever soothes you. And I don't think your god will be angry with you just because you listened to some 'unislamic' music.

Honestly I fail to fathom such mentality. Why should everything, including Music, go under the scanner of Mullahs? Just listen to whatever you like, whatever soothes you. And I don't think your god will be angry with you just because you listened to some 'unislamic' music.

I'm sure you being a "PeacefulIndian" didn't mean to cause offense but your statement
Just listen to whatever you like, whatever soothes you. And I don't think your god will be angry with you just because you listened to some 'unislamic' music.
is offensive.

It would be like me saying to a practicing Hindu go ahead have a beef burger your religion allows it.

I'm sure you can now see how such a statement would be inappropriate and cause offense.

Back
Top Bottom