What's new

TAPI gas pipeline project inked.

Well then they are wasting time and money, as said above, both P & I together won't make it successful, either take P out or I out.

Yes.. thats where I totally agree.. wont work.. going down the path of Iran pipeline

what does the shaded part in Pakistan represent?
They probably plagiarized the map from some source which was depicting Balochistan, probably something do with the BLA. They have even highlighted Dera Bugti district.

Are you sure ???

These pipelines don't just serve consumer purposes, they have commercial purposes too.

So once a pipeline gets into a country and if its affordable, then it attracts investment too, which can make it profitable and useful.

The "I" is not the only thing which can me it profitable.

Yeah, I agree with Karan on this one. If we go by your logic then Turkmenistan would have got all the investment by itself without having to risk the construction of an expensive pipeline. Investment can come in only when the markets the product serves makes it worthwhile. Pakistan certainly isn't a large enough market to be the end point of two different pipelines.

China can get central asian gas directly and infact already have existing pipelines pumping gas without the need for involving Pakistan.

So except for Iranian gas Chinese do no really need Pakistani land for gas supplies.

It is a fantasy because of I.

Remove I and the work will start in no time.

So assuming the cost of the pipeline is $4 billion with about 15% maintenance and running cost, and you have only the demand of Pakistan and Afghanistan (based on their purchasing power and not just need), what do you expect the break even point for this pipeline..

So unless you replace I with C, its a non starter

China can get central asian gas directly and infact already have existing pipelines pumping gas without the need for involving Pakistan.

So except for Iranian gas Chinese do no really need Pakistani land for gas supplies.
Maybe Pakistan and Afghanistan will charge lesser transit fees?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

So assuming the cost of the pipeline is $4 billion with about 15% maintenance and running cost, and you have only the demand of Pakistan and Afghanistan (based on their purchasing power and not just need), what do you expect the break even point for this pipeline..

So unless you replace I with C, its a non starter
From Pakistan you get the option of exporting it further from our ports.

Yeah, I agree with Karan on this one. If we go by your logic then Turkmenistan would have got all the investment by itself without having to risk the construction of an expensive pipeline. Investment can come in only when the markets the product serves makes it worthwhile. Pakistan certainly isn't a large enough market to be the end point of two different pipelines.

Well then why is India wasting its time yet again in another pipeline deal where Pakistan involved ??

Why doesn't India tells Turkmenistan right away that sorry, with Pakistan we are not gonna do the deal ??

Or should i say, that India chickened out of the IPI deal due to the pressure of US and not as told publicly the Pakistan factor and its joining this TAPI deal, as it has no Iran in it.

And that is exactly the case which i see, not to embrace its world reputation as a emerging super power and world thinking that the emerging superpower chickened out under pressure of US due to Iran thingy, it used Pakistan as an excuse, but now as there is no Iran in this deal, so they are going with it even Pakistan is there in this deal.

Maybe Pakistan and Afghanistan will charge lesser transit fees?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

From Pakistan you get the option of exporting it further from our ports.

Not just transit fee, but also the cost of maintaining the pipeline also. That can not be reduced, specially considering the terrain.

Also, if Turkmenistan wants to export thru ports, going via Iran is much easier, shorter, less trobled area and not much of a mountain terrain.

well firstly people are ignoring the fact that this pipeline will pass through afghanistan! & areas of helmand(which currently is the most hostile area NATO faces)!!! south afghanistan is totally pashtun! this pipeline will remain a dream & never become a reality!

Well then why is India wasting its time yet again in another pipeline deal where Pakistan involved ??

Why doesn't India tells Turkmenistan right away that sorry, with Pakistan we are not gonna do the deal ??

Or should i say, that India chickened out of the IPI deal due to the pressure of US and not as told publicly the Pakistan factor and its joining this TAPI deal, as it has no Iran in it.

And that is exactly the case which i see, not to embrace its world reputation as a emerging super power and world thinking that the emerging superpower chickened out under pressure of US due to Iran thingy, it used Pakistan as an excuse, but now as there is no Iran in this deal, so they are going with it even Pakistan is there in this deal.

You are right. It's all a bit weird. This the other story doing the rounds.

India considering deepwater gas pipeline from Oman: Report

DUABI: India is actively considering building a 2,000-km-long deepwater transnational gas pipeline from Oman for transporting natural gas sourced from Turkmenistan, Iran and Qatar, a leading industry official has said.

The proposed sub-sea pipeline will meet the additional gas requirement of the UAE, Oman and India, besides easing gas transportation issues of producing countries like Turkmenistan, Iran and Qatar, Subodh Kumar Jain, Director of South Asia Gas Enterprise (SAGE), told Times of Oman.

SAGE, a joint venture between the Siddhomal group, UK-based Deep Water Technology and an Indian firm, is a special project vehicle for building the 2000-km long-sub-sea pipeline.

"We are trying to create an energy corridor. It is a grand scheme of several pipelines. It will connect energy producing countries like Iran, Turkmenistan, Qatar, and will pass through the UAE and Oman, all the way to India," Jain told the newspaper.

As per the plan, the pipeline will originate from Oman and will end either in Gujarat or Maharashtra.

For the gas to be routed to Oman from Qatar, Iran and Turkmenistan, additional pipelines will be needed.

Gas sourced through this will carry an additional transportation tariff, which will accrue to SAGE.

India imports around 26mscmd of LNG. The country is short on natural gas. It needs around 180mscmd, while the supply is 106mscmd.

Jain said the main sub-sea pipeline between Oman and India will cost between $3 to 4 billion.

"We are now discussing with Iran, Turkmenistan and Qatar for sourcing gas for the proposed pipeline. That is the biggest challenge. Besides, there are a lot of geopolitical and security issues involved," Jain said.

After ensuring gas, it will take five years to completed the project. The pipeline will be designed and built by an international consortium.

Demand for gas in India will continue to exceed supply from domestic sources and imported gas will play an important role in bridging the demand-supply gap in the Indian market.

India considering deepwater gas pipeline from Oman: Report - The Economic Times

Few points..

1. Iran pipeline and TAPI pipeline are both vaporware as far as India is concerned at this point of time.
2. What you call bowing to pressure, I call diplomacy. One needs to look at his own national interests and not an ego boost of opposing a global power. Just like what Pakistan did in 2001
3. I am not too big a fan of the term emerging superpower, but to emerge, you need to work for your national interests (Nuke deal anyone) and not for jingoistic pride (provided US pressure played a role here)
4. Inhibiting economic growth of your enemy (pipeline serving India via Pakistan will provide an eco impetus to Pakistan) is a pretty sound strategy for both a regular nation or an emerging superpower.

Not just transit fee, but also the cost of maintaining the pipeline also. That can not be reduced, specially considering the terrain.

Also, if Turkmenistan wants to export thru ports, going via Iran is much easier, shorter, less trobled area and not much of a mountain terrain.
Generally one oil exporting country does not felicitate another to export oil. If either of the two countries were going to work with each other something would've come out.

Pakistan and China are already working on the rail link and the pipeline link. If India does not stop its games, it will eventually be removed from the table by force once the Chinese option is more viable.

Back
Top Bottom