What's new

TAPI gas pipeline project inked.

turkmenistan-khorgos-pipeline.jpg

2 transits Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan

UzDaily.com: Second line of China-Uzbekistan gas pipeline to be constructed by 2010 ? envoy

problem solved.

Maybe Pakistan and Afghanistan will charge lesser transit fees?

China is a direct neighbour of Kazakhstan and Tajikistan. These countries already have a gas pipeline network that they use to send gas to Russia. So Chinese, as always, have made the economic choice of connecting directly into the gas network of these countries.

Its already been done. Its not a speculative question. Gas is being exported to China by central asian countries beginning this year.

China set to get vast gas supplies from Central Asia via 10,000 km pipeline - The Times of India

Turkmenistan- China gas pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

800px-CentralAsiaChinapipeline.png

Submarine gas pipelines are going to be a pipe dream especially considering the distance - Oman btw, won't be able to meet India's needs. There will need to be a linkup between, Qatar -(water based pipeline) UAE, UAE - Oman land based, Oman - India (deep water based pipeline).

The link that already exists between UAE and Qatar already is quite strained and runs through problem and is an expensive link. Imagine the net price of getting it through all of these countries.

Anyway, go ahead, as long as you stay out of IPC and TAPC - everyone in Pakistan will be happy.

Indian Oman gas pipe line is cheaper than the land based one.
Its only 3.4 billion compared to 5 billion.. so its better to take the sea route.

Generally one oil exporting country does not felicitate another to export oil. If either of the two countries were going to work with each other something would've come out.

Pakistan and China are already working on the rail link and the pipeline link. If India does not stop its games, it will eventually be removed from the table by force once the Chinese option is more viable.

You really think that Pakistan is not opposing India's inclusion in this out of goodness of its heart? :rofl:

If there was an option for Pakistan on this, it would have been already exercised.

Once Chinese option becomes viable, no matter what India does now, there will be a play to remove it from the table. There is a reason why we dont want to share the table with Pakistan

Pakistan and China are already working on the rail link and the pipeline link. If India does not stop its games, it will eventually be removed from the table by force once the Chinese option is more viable.

That would depend whether there is table at all when it gets to that. This is not the only option available for India; certainly the cheapest in an ideal world but we don't live in such a place. The tensions between India & Pakistan as currently existing makes a pipeline through Pakistan to India little more than a pipe dream. No Indian government can afford to vest so much power in Pakistan's hands given the state of our relationship. No matter what is signed or what is spoken of, I certainly don't see a possibility of such a pipeline to India happening anytime soon.

Oman had proven reserves of 25 trillion cubic feet (Tcf). For 1997, proven reserves jumped 20% to 30 Tcf. About one-third of this amount is associated gas, most of which is located in the Natih and surrounding fields. Over 10 Tcf of Oman's non-associated gas is located in deep geological structures, many of which are beneath active oil fields

This is a very interesting subject to me, so just my quick 2 cents...

1. Agree with both Indian and Pakistani friends who have said that this pipeline will not become reality until it is reduced to TAP or becomes TAPC

2. The US has been pushing for this energy corridor also. They are interested in getting the reserves to the Arabian sea. I didn't see much discussion on this. The "I" part is not important in order to achieve this goal.

3. While I understand where many of my Indian friends are coming from, the fact is that Pakistan does occupy a fairly strategic location and it is a natural energy and transport corridor for India. After all, it played this role for hundreds - nay thousands - of years. Just because we live in a post 1947 world, it doesn't mean that geographical reality has changed.

4. A deep sea pipeline, specially from a country like Oman, is unrealistic in my view. Not just because of cost reasons, but also because of strategic reasons. The same goes for a pipeline from Iran... I didn't chime in on this tangential discussion, btw, but the recent statements from Iran re the Kashmir situation have shown once again that the closeness many have claimed between Iran and India is a figment of some overactive imaginations. I really don't see Iran stepping up and dealing with the strategic mess a deep sea pipeline of this nature would result in. Just not worth it. There are enough buyers for what Iran is selling... simple as that.

This is a very interesting subject to me, so just my quick 2 cents...

1. Agree with both Indian and Pakistani friends who have said that this pipeline will not become reality until it is reduced to TAP or becomes TAPC

2. The US has been pushing for this energy corridor also. They are interested in getting the reserves to the Arabian sea. I didn't see much discussion on this. The "I" part is not important in order to achieve this goal.

3. While I understand where many of my Indian friends are coming from, the fact is that Pakistan does occupy a fairly strategic location and it is a natural energy and transport corridor for India. After all, it played this role for hundreds - nay thousands - of years. Just because we live in a post 1947 world, it doesn't mean that geographical reality has changed.

4. A deep sea pipeline, specially from a country like Oman, is unrealistic in my view. Not just because of cost reasons, but also because of strategic reasons. The same goes for a pipeline from Iran... I didn't chime in on this tangential discussion, btw, but the recent statements from Iran re the Kashmir situation have shown once again that the closeness many have claimed between Iran and India is a figment of some overactive imaginations. I really don't see Iran stepping up and dealing with the strategic mess a deep sea pipeline of this nature would result in. Just not worth it. There are enough buyers for what Iran is selling... simple as that.

India Iran relationships are not that volatile as it looks.

Now, an India-Iran-Afghanistan tri-summit

India develops a new axis with Iran and Russia - Opinion - DNA

I don't understand what you mean when you say that a deep sea pipeline is unrealistic for strategic reason. Would appreciate an explanation. As for the Iran angle, I don't quite agree with you. There aren't that many consumers of India' size that you can tie down in an long term deal. Not as many buyers as you think, otherwise you would not be seeing this much interest from so many different countries. As for perceived closeness, that not as important as you think either. Venezuela still sells to the U.S.& not because they are particularly close. Money, as you know talks & quite a lot at that.

Btw, India criticises Israel on the Palestinian issue often; it would be a brave man to suggest that India & Israel do not share a close relationship because of that.

Actually I know Pakistan, as long as we're being paid, the government of Pakistan won't cut it off even at times of war. For Pakistan, money is very important.

But it has been demonstrated by India, its involvement in these projects is only to delay the projects by flirting the idea to the source countries, not to be a part of it.

So I'm all for any solution where India is not even considered.

I don't understand what you mean when you say that a deep sea pipeline is unrealistic for strategic reason. Would appreciate an explanation.

Back when the IPI pipeline was being negotiated, India was extremely concerned that despite Pakistan's strategic guarantees, supply would be stopped during times of increased tensions or in a war. Do you remember that?

Well, if a pipeline is a few miles away from the Pakistan coast and Pakistan is not guaranteeing its safety, nor is Pakistan invested in the project (not just in a financial sense), does it make the pipeline safer or riskier?

I don't want to get into a Pakistan Armed Forces vs Indian Armed Forces discussion here. As I am often given to say, the proof of the pudding lies in its eating. Once a definitive agreement to create these deep sea pipelines is executed and work begins, then this is worth a discussion. Otherwise, it's a waste of everyone's time. Right now there is only the IP(C) pipeline which has a definitive agreement in place and on which work has begun. Everything else is fiction.

As for the Iran angle, I don't quite agree with you. There aren't that many consumers of India' size that you can tie down in an long term deal.

Iran has something to sell which everyone is willing to buy. They are not facing a paucity of buyers. I agree that India is a big market, but that would be relevant only if Iran had unlimited supplies and faced a shortage of demand. India can be the biggest market on earth, but Iran can only sell as much as it can sell... it can't create new reserves out of thin air. I don't think Iran sees India as an absolutely necessary consumer for its reserves. That's all.

Actually I know Pakistan, as long as we're being paid, the government of Pakistan won't cut it off even at times of war. For Pakistan, money is very important.

But it has been demonstrated by India, its involvement in these projects is only to delay the projects by flirting the idea to the source countries, not to be a part of it.

So I'm all for any solution where India is not even considered.

But payments dont happen at times of war.

Delay in projects are a common thing in both countries.

A grand scheme of several pipelines are coming up for sure.

It will connect energy producing countries like Iran, Turkmenistan, Qatar, and will pass through the United Arab Emirates and Oman, all the way to India.

Building a pipeline from Oman to India would cost around $3 billion. It would be a rival to alternative pipeline projects envisioned through Pakistan and Afghanistan that are complicated by security and geopolitical concerns.

The pipeline could carry as much as 1.1 billion cubic feet of gas per day from Oman.

The construction could start as early as 2015 if interested countries give their blessing to the plans by next year.

Apart from India, it will benefit countries in the Gulf region. It can feed Oman and the UAE. It will also benefit gas producing countries like Turkmenistan, Iran and Qatar. These are countries with huge natural gas reserves,

As soon as gas supplies are ensured, the pipeline project will be completed within five years.

India is facing natural gas shortages as its own reserves are expected to run out by 2012. It currently buys around 26 million of standard cubic meters of liquefied natural gas per day.

Back
Top Bottom