What's new

Thar Coal and The Magic That We Can Do

Not sure if this is viable.

Thar coal, being of low quality could be used along with a high quality coal in coal power plants.

So the coal that Pakistan imports for Sahiwal Coal Power Plant could have a mixture of 5-10% of low quality Thar coal, to minimize power cost.

The same could be true for other coal power plants.

On a side note, who the fish thought Sahiwal Coal Power Plant using imported coal via Karachi port, then transporting the coal to Sahiwal, and bang on prime agricultural land was feasible.

Sir the article specifically mentions brown coal please read carefully
Claims are made by many start ups to get funding but it's not reality

It has never been practical cost wise

Thar coal, being of low quality could be used along with a high quality coal in coal power plants.

So the coal that Pakistan imports for Sahiwal Coal Power Plant could have a mixture of 5-10% of low quality Thar coal, to minimize power cost.

On a side note, who the fish thought Sahiwal Coal Power Plant using imported coal via Karachi port, then transporting the coal to Sahiwal, and bang on prime agricultural land was feasible.
Khata hey tu lagata be hey.
The same people who thought that in 1990 a motor way between Lahore and Islamabad at cost of 1 b$ was a good idea when your whole GDP wasn't even 50b$ and you had a single land GT road at that time

Islamabad wasn't even the top 5 large cities back then and country was desperate for dams back then that would have cost same amount

The same people also thought about ghazi brotha project that cost 3b$ with zero storage vs other dams with better and suitable location(e g munda dam)

Same people who thought a 2.6b$ rail project in Lahore was better then a much much bigger and cheaper BRT in all major cities (at same cost) or ML1 first phase

Same people also thought it would be great idea to fast pace NJ project

When Pakistan starts a project it does a feasibility study which suggests something then the govt take a 360 and does something completely opposite

E.g feasibility studies in 1980s suggest 10 dams neither were built instead ghazi brotha was built for one reason loyalties for Punjab

In 2000s ghaddani coal jetty integrated project was recommend but instead sahiwal was built

GT road, coastal high way, chitral tunnel (strategic reasons) and Indus road upgrades was recommended instead a single motor way that use to close at night due to low traffic was built in mid 1990s.

All of these projects had a single theme..built an expensive project at the time in Punjab and get maximum kick backs

Claims are made by many start ups to get funding but it's not reality

It has never been practical cost wise

Not only is it practical it has been done by china Australia and south Africa

By The End Of This Year Hopefully, The Third Phase of Block 2 Thar Coal Will Be Completed After Which The Capacity Will Increase to 12.2 Million tons per Annum from the existing 7.6 MTPA This Will Reduce The Cost of Coal to $27/ton. Although It Is Planned To Supply This Excess Amount To Lucky Electric We Should Now Be Looking At Other Things.

Back in 2010 University of Texas Arlington Developed A Technology to Convert Texas Brown Lignite Coal To Synthetic Crude Oil The Same Kind Available in Conventional Crude Oil Fields

Similarly, Australian Company IER Also Developed A Technology To Convert Low-Grade Brown Coal Like Thar Lignite Into Synthetic Crude Oil and Licensed It To Solid Energy A New Zealand Coal Miner

If We Can Implement This Technology In Thar The Opportunities Are Limitless. We Can Get Rid of IMF Forever and Won't Need To Kow tow To The Arabs Again.Not Only Will Our C/A Be In Surplus But Once Energy Is Debottlenecked We Can Unleash 7+% Growth Every Year Creating Jobs

Coal power plants connected to a well rebuild grid charging EV or hybrids is probably a better way to go, IMHO. Furthermore the price of solar panels have come down significantly and investing into a grid that links up these various power sources, and get the nation onto EVs or hybrids is probably a better long term solution.

I’m all for more cheaper coal fire plants to lower electricity costs, but using up water for gasification, when it could be better used to increase arable land and go into other industrial processes should be considered first.

More 660 KV power lines such as the following, which decrease’s transmission losses is the way to transport the energy just in a direct form, not indirectly by making fuel to then transport to cars to then fuel. For example, extending a line along the Makran Coast (where SEZs could be set up) to Gwadar could link up with a transmission line from Iran. In this way, Pakistan wouldn’t have to import just oil/gas, but also the electricity directly from Iran, once the sanctions are lifted.

Last edited:
@Samlee @Edevelop @hydrabadi_arab
Although I doubt we'd be able attract investments as coal is considered dirty energy

Chinese would happily invest if given a workable feasibility.If we play our cards right we can wipe out our entire energy import bill we can produce everything from crude oil(syncrude) to natural gas (sng) to diesel to olefins to fertilizer to aromatics btx even cement

Practically anything we can imagine is possible

@Samlee

In theory you are correct- Thar coal can be gassified and produce all the fuel and hydrocarbons you need. There are however caveats

It is highly capital intensive (although your talller than mountain friends can provide the capital)
It is highly water guzzling- not sure you have the water
It is viable only if crude remains above USD 80 or so (@niaz sb can throw some light). With growing renewables, it is possible long time crude prices may fall below 80
In terms of emissions, it is even worse than crude oil

Regards

Sorry Sir,

Ever since @zia -ul Isalm has called my posts " Nonsense", I have stopped posting. This forum is now full of young highly partison members who instead of replying argument with an arguments; start insulting people. I would not want some other whippersapper to insult me again.

its working fine , whats the issue ? u can have basic issue that it was done by PMLn govt rest it is tech fine . supply chain via railways is secure too.

Sorry Sir,

Ever since @zia -ul Isalm has called my posts " Nonsense", I have stopped posting. This forum is now full of young highly partison members who instead of replying argument with an arguments; start insulting people. I would not want some other whippersapper to insult me again.

Sir don't lose your sleep over some foolish comments we would love to have your input

You posts are always an enlightenment

@niaz sb

It would be quite unfortunate if erudite posters like you, Joe Shearer, Kaptaan sb and their likes would stop posting. We have so much to learn from you.

Regards

Wait so this coal to oil thing - are other countries doing it?
Coal is cheap, why aren't other countries doing it?

Whatever's the case with dams and coal we can finally hopefully become self -sufficient

I hope we find a big oil & gas reserve somewhere

I heard they found gas in waziristan

They're stealing coal?
Coal is dirtier hence why

No they aren't being paid the money the are being owed by the govt

Technology is also unproven meaning you will have a lot of unknown and oil fluctuates around 50-80 so at the end of the day there is no surety how successful this endeavor will be

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom