What's new

The Battle for Orakzai & Khyber Agencies

US wants military action in NWA
Wednesday, July 07, 2010
By Delawar Jan

PESHAWAR: The US Consul General in Peshawar, E Candace Putnam, on Tuesday praised Pakistan for the “terrific progress” it had made against the militants in Swat and the tribal areas but in the same breath said her country wanted to see military action in the North Waziristan Agency.

“We very much would like to see action in the NWA. You know that the Haqqani network is killing our soldiers. It’s understandable,” she said at a press conference here. Putnam said it was undisputed that the extremists had found sanctuaries in the tribal areas and were launching attacks on Pakistan and the US forces in Afghanistan. “There is no question that extremists have found a safe haven in the border area between Pakistan and Afghanistan and that’s why your troops are fighting in those areas,” she said without mincing words.

But the US diplomat did express some optimism. “Our hope is that you will succeed and that this area will never again be a safe haven for people who launch attacks against us and against you,” she said.

The consul general, who will have Saturday next as her last working day at the Consulate General, spoke highly of the military actions Pakistan had launched last year and during the current year in different areas. “We greatly respect and admire the progress you have made, your military has made in fighting the militants,” she said.

“You kept them out of Swat. Your fighting has made terrific progress in Bajaur, Mohmand and in South Waziristan, in Khyber and many areas across the Fata,” Putnam said. She said the US would not dictate Pakistan about any military action but it certainly wanted to see an offensive in North Waziristan. “We are convinced that you are determined to regain control of all of your territory and it is not up to us to say to your military commanders what to do when,” she said.

The consul general said the Pakistan Army had the right to decide where and when fighting was needed. But she hastened to add that at the same time the US very much would like to see action in North Waziristan as the Haqqani network was killing American soldiers. Regarding action in the Punjab, she said it was up to the Pakistan government to decide.

To a question about the strategy of the bogged down US and Nato forces, the diplomat said the US was not fleeing from Afghanistan. “Our strategy has not changed. And the president has been very much clear. Our main goal here is to defeat, dismantle and disrupt al-Qaeda. The president agreed to a surge in troops to help in that battle in Afghanistan. All the troops haven’t even arrived yet. So it’s very premature to say that the fight is over and we are fleeing. It’s not the case,” she explained.

She said they would support the efforts of the Afghan government to try and reconcile with those who were ready to shun violence, renounce al-Qaeda and adhere to the Afghanistan constitution.

Admitting slow progress in assistance to Pakistan, Putnam said it had to go through a process and a big bureaucracy, which was causing some delay, but she said the pledges would be honoured. The bad security, she added, had also affected their ability to deliver assistance.

Putnam said that 108 destroyed schools, 36 health clinics and six water supply schemes would be completed with $36 million in Swat as the agreement to this effect had already been signed in December last. “They have now tendered 38 schools and the construction should begin this month,” she stressed.

She said the US would help the government of Pakistan build the infrastructure that was destroyed during combat in Malakand and would then move on to capacity building of the population there.

The diplomat claimed the US had assisted the Fata Secretariat in completing over 1,000 small projects throughout the tribal areas.

“You will be seeing some progress very, very soon and you will be seeing a lot more money soon,” she assured. The outgoing diplomat said the US was determined to spend money through Pakistani institutions, government and NGOs.

She said there had been a lot of positive changes in Pakistan, including the return of democracy and the rise and strength of civil society.

She also praised the Peshawarites for their resilience during a wave of terror last year. “I find it remarkable,” she said of the bravery of the people. “Your police just going out to the frontline and embracing suicide bombers to protect people. It’s truly, truly, truly remarkable bravery and courage,” she added.

US wants military action in NWA

96 militants were killed in the ongoing military operation against insurgent elements in the Kurram Agency and 18 security personnel were martyred in the clash - AFP

96 militants were killed in the ongoing military operation against insurgent elements in the Kurram Agency and 18 security personnel were martyred in the clash - AFP

****, looks like some tough ops going on in Kurram. TTP are on the ropes so they're forced to fight hard to defend the last bits of land they occupy.

The Shia's of Kurram Agency as well as Orakzai Agency have helped the army a lot, at one side they have stood up like a wall to counter these Talibans from entering their areas, on the other, they have helped the army on the ground in their movement, identifying targets for them, giving intel, so much so they would take the formations right upto the Taliban positions, gave them locations of the mountainous paths used by the militants, which army used to its advantage.

Salute to these guys for standing up to these talibans.

The Shia's of Kurram Agency as well as Orakzai Agency have helped the army a lot, at one side they have stood up like a wall to counter these Talibans from entering their areas, on the other, they have helped the army on the ground in their movement, identifying targets for them, giving intel, so much so they would take the formations right upto the Taliban positions, gave them locations of the mountainous paths used by the militants, which army used to its advantage.

And they have been slaughtered brutally by the Taliban for supporting the operations and on sectarian grounds as well.

The media has remained silent on this issue, probably so as not to shed negative light on the operations but people have raised this issue on the blogosphere very often. I'm still mortified by the images that I accidentally saw of the brutal murders they faced at the hand of the militants.

May their families have strength to the bear the loss of their loved ones and continue to critically support all operations to wipe out these militants.

Why the hell GEO has put this image along with offensive news?
7-8-2010_68025_l.gif

They are making it look as if US Jet's bombed Orakzai.I won't be surprised if few conspiracy theorists fall for it.

At least 15 militants were killed and 10 others were injured when security forces pounded militants hideouts in different areas of Kurram Agency. - AFP

Last edited:
15 militants killed, 10 injured by security forces in Kurram Agency

At least 15 militants were killed and 10 sustained injuries when the security forces bombarded militant's hideouts in different areas of Kurram Agency here on Wednesday.

According to security sources, the jets of the security forces bombarded the militants hideouts located in Dabori, Khadi Zai, Mamozai and Malabadai killing 15 militants on the spot and injuring several.

It is relevant to mention here that more than 1400 militants have been killed and 170 hideouts have been destroyed during operation continued for the past three months.

15 militants killed, 10 injured by security forces in Kurram Agency | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Turri tribesmen have always been against TTP since the militancy (which was usually concentrated in lower kurram) made its way to upper Kurram area like Parachinar, Badama, etc.

they had no choice but to confront them since they were responsible for sectarian attacks but also they were blocking the roads and stealing all the medicine and supplies

Kurram is one area where even the rival tribes are more or less united after 2008 jirga, in which they vowed to not allow 'talebans' there or give them hospitality

7-8-2010_68025_l.gif

They are making it look as if US Jet's bombed Orakzai.I won't be surprised if few conspiracy theorists fall for it.

Here let me help it.

i was once asked somewhere in Balochistan that 'do you know why did Pakistan Army's uniform has been changed from Khaki to Camouflage?' And before i could give a long, deliberated and fauji type answer i was enlightened by the dude (a Police Officer); so that when the US forces (who indeed wear digital cam - the ACU) operate in Balochistan and FATA, the people there would not be able to differentiate and resultantly wouldnt know that we have foreign boots on our motherland..!!

And they have been slaughtered brutally by the Taliban for supporting the operations and on sectarian grounds as well.

The media has remained silent on this issue, probably so as not to shed negative light on the operations but people have raised this issue on the blogosphere very often. I'm still mortified by the images that I accidentally saw of the brutal murders they faced at the hand of the militants.

May their families have strength to the bear the loss of their loved ones and continue to critically support all operations to wipe out these militants.

SW buddy, i think we can omit the bold part in your post. This factor didnt start to affect the scenario until recently.

The Talibs were infact staunch anti-Shia. i know of cases where they, after attacking a post (manned usually by the FC - talking of the earlier days) would spare the Sunni soldiers and slaughter, burn alive and shoot in the mouth (all) Shias.

7-8-2010_68025_l.gif

the people at Geo or any of our new agencies couldn't tell an F15 from a Suzuki Bolan

SW buddy, i think we can omit the bold part in your post. This factor didnt start to affect the scenario until recently.

The Talibs were infact staunch anti-Shia. i know of cases where they, after attacking a post (manned usually by the FC - talking of the earlier days) would spare the Sunni soldiers and slaughter, burn alive and shoot in the mouth (all) Shias.

Exactly, during the Friendship Tunnel crisis, the Taliban used to stop passenger vans as well as individual cars and used to check the identities of who's shia and sunni and if found any shia, would kill the passenger. Numerous cases of this nature happened.

The Taliban were very much anti-shia way before the Pakistani shia started to go against them.

We should remember the Iran-Taliban standoff before Taliban were toppled.

Exactly, during the Friendship Tunnel crisis, the Taliban used to stop passenger vans as well as individual cars and used to check the identities of who's shia and sunni and if found any shia, would kill the passenger. Numerous cases of this nature happened.

u know how they used to check? ;)

they used to forcefully lift up their shalwaar kameez and see if there were any scars on their back

if there were scars, they were machine-gunned - no questions asked; many times beheaded

The Taliban were very much anti-shia way before the Pakistani shia started to go against them.

even before taleban there was occasional outbreaks of sectarian violence. The true image of Parachinar has been lost because of this.

Actually, when talebs came they used divide and conquer tactics by brainwashing Bangash tribe (mix of Sunnis and some Shiias) to rebel and fight against the Turris (predominately Shiia, and located in Upper Kurram)

Circumstances in Swat, Bajaur and other tribal areas were different to what goes on in Kurrum.

In Kurrum, it was (and still is) purely sectarian. Talebs mingled religion with their sabatoge of Pukhtun culture. So when they took a cruel action, people linked it with their religious beliefs.

There is confusion on both sides; the Taliban, who mingle religion with culture, and the people who take all their actions as their religious beliefs.

p.s. i was in Kurram during the riots of 2006. Very very bad times, taleb RPG hit our village; a relative who was 7 months pregnant she was hiding in the home and was hit directly

and this was by some people whom years earlier we were doing trade and eating with....

you'll be amazed by what brain-washing can do

Back
Top Bottom