What's new

The beef against beef in multi-cultural India

Generally Khan

Reaction score

A ‘beef-eating festival’ in most parts of Hindu-majority India was always going to be considered provocative.

Clashes and a stabbing sparked tension at Hyderabad’s Osmania University when a group of students demanded the inclusion of beef in the hostel menu.

Most Hindus consider the cow sacred and number of states like Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Chhatisgarh ban cow slaughter, with Gujarat going as far as outlawing even the transportation of cattle without a special permit.

But many lower-caste Hindu ‘dalits’ [untouchables] and people from some parts of southern India and the North-East consider it an integral part of their diet, on par with other meat like chicken and pork.

Proponents of the ban justify it by saying it shows respect for the religious sentiments of the country’s majority community, while those opposed to it say the law is anti-secular.

Even in economic terms, beef is cheaper than other meat products and more affordable for the poor, and industries churning out beef products like leather shoes, belts, etc. are also major employment generators.

So the question is — should a democratic country like India put a blanket ban on a particular type of meat? Some would say the religious connotations and the extreme reactions it evokes justify it.

It’s ironic that India is the world’s second largest producer of leather garments, including cowhide.

Source: The beef against beef in multi-cultural India | India Insight

Please be respectful of religious views while posting your opinions.

How many times you Pakistani wants to discuss beef in India? Beef against beef in India is much on lesser scale than Beef against pork or beef against blasphemy or beef against ahmadis in Pakistan..

You do not give respect to human life in your country but got guts to crib about others food. Have you not got your priorities mixed up?

A ‘beef-eating festival’ in most parts of Hindu-majority India was always going to be considered provocative.

Clashes and a stabbing sparked tension at Hyderabad’s Osmania University when a group of students demanded the inclusion of beef in the hostel menu.

Most Hindus consider the cow sacred and number of states like Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Chhatisgarh ban cow slaughter, with Gujarat going as far as outlawing even the transportation of cattle without a special permit.

But many lower-caste Hindu ‘dalits’ [untouchables] and people from some parts of southern India and the North-East consider it an integral part of their diet, on par with other meat like chicken and pork.

Proponents of the ban justify it by saying it shows respect for the religious sentiments of the country’s majority community, while those opposed to it say the law is anti-secular.

Even in economic terms, beef is cheaper than other meat products and more affordable for the poor, and industries churning out beef products like leather shoes, belts, etc. are also major employment generators.

So the question is — should a democratic country like India put a blanket ban on a particular type of meat? Some would say the religious connotations and the extreme reactions it evokes justify it.

It’s ironic that India is the world’s second largest producer of leather garments, including cowhide.

U wanted people to be respectful of religious views while posting ?? and your article is full of disrespect !!
This trash article is not worth to even reply..

This article is simply baseless and total CRAP !!

I would love to check from my Pakistani brothers, how would they feel if similar situation happens in your country and minority Christians/Hindus demand inclusion of PORK in hostel menus??

Indians don't know what you are missing by not eating beef, this is the best tasting meat.
Muslims likewise don't know what you are missing by not eating pork, bacon is mouth watering.

I tried both but i still feel baby lamb beats both for the juice and taste

If you go to where my roots are in India and ask for beef you might be attacked not a joke but if u go to states like goa or kerala u can eat beef all day till the cow comes home as to speak.

All this makes me want a bacon cheese-burger

Yes, the ultimate forbidden food for Hindus and Muslims, the banned stuff from both worlds.

616_1317265843.jpg

You yanks love your beef we know :) just watch you do not get mad cow disease thats going around

im glad i eat good vegetable curry my mum makes everyday with fresh chappatis and basmati rice otherwise I would be a fatty yank eating junk food like most of these gora eat in the west.

There should be no ban. Infact they should do a pork festival in osmania university and solve this problem.

Dalits do have beef in some parts of India but the important thing is they generally have buffalo beef and NOT cow beef.

So the organizers if they had any genuine interest would have researched and found this simple fact. But they did not and instead served cow beef. So it goes to prove that this was clearly a political gimmick aimed at provocating one section of the students and nothing else.

FYI, it is only cow beef that is banned in most states and not any other beef.

p.s: David Lalmalsawma, a christian, must stop this dictation to Hindus what they must feel or not feel. These were the bigots who were at the forefront of banning "Da vinci code" from being released all over North East as it "hurt" Christian sentiments. Hypocrites.:tdown:

are you ? :angry:
You bet I am. I respect Hinduism or any religion for that matter.

How many times you Pakistani wants to discuss beef in India? Beef against beef in India is much on lesser scale than Beef against pork or beef against blasphemy or beef against ahmadis in Pakistan..

You do not give respect to human life in your country but got guts to crib about others food. Have you not got your priorities mixed up?
Reuters India is running the article so the debate is going on in India. I am simply gauging the responses. You don't have to be defensive and pissy about it.

U wanted people to be respectful of religious views while posting ?? and your article is full of disrespect !!
This trash article is not worth to even reply..

This article is simply baseless and total CRAP !!
Yet you have replied twice.

Yes, the ultimate forbidden food for Hindus and Muslims, the banned stuff from both worlds.

616_1317265843.jpg
Didn't know Koreans eat bacon, always see them eating kimchi and silkworm bugs.

2r2vtd5.jpg

I know what you are thinking... *YUM*

Dalits do have beef in some parts of India but the important thing is they generally have buffalo beef and NOT cow beef.

So the organizers if they had any genuine interest would have researched and found this simple fact. But they did not and instead served cow beef. So it goes to prove that this was clearly a political gimmick aimed at provocating one section of the students and nothing else.

FYI, it is only cow beef that is banned in most states and not any other beef.

p.s: David Lalmalsawma, a christian, must stop this dictation to Hindus what they must feel or not feel. These were the bigots who were at the forefront of banning "Da vinci code" from being released all over North East as it "hurt" Christian sentiments. Hypocrites.:tdown:

I completely agree with you.

There is no doubt in my mind that this was a political stunt but the underlying question is:
1. Would you rather forgo the economic benefits by imposing a India-wide ban?
2. Would banning beef really reduce communal tensions? Like Yeti mentioned Goa and Kerala won't be pleased.
3. If not an out-right ban, then what is the solution? The current situation makes many uncomfortable. Our friend Shiv is understandably upset.

Back
Top Bottom