What's new

The Last Stand - Air War 1971

It was Niazi's call and his cowardice otherwise the troops were ready make the ultimate sacrifice. Niazi was a sheep leading an army of the lions; only if a lion was commanding our troops in East Pakistan, the history would be different.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Hi,

I would disagree with that. Niazi was dumped into the slot of a lost cause. He did the right thing. There is no war to fight when the citizend of the state are against the military.

In my eyes Niazi is a hero for not getting his troops slaughtered after the cause had been lost. May Allah bless his soul.

It took a lot of courage to lay down the weapons. He saw his legacy crumbling in front of his eyes, he had no choice but to play the cards that fate had dealt him with and he made the decision to face the humiliation of laying down his weapons to save 90000

Last edited:
Hi,

I would disagree with that. Niazi was dumped into the slot of a lost cause. He did the right thing. There is no war to fight when the citizend of the state are against the military.

In my eyes Niazi is a hero for not getting his troops slaughtered after the cause had been lost. May Allah bless his soul.
100% agreed that what my father told may,for whom Niazi would have been fighting,he did right thing it is easy to say"Fight until last man and last bullet"but very difficult to do"

For what, winning elections?
Read Agartla conspiracy case.

We already had three Bengali PM's but Mujeeb was already a traitor.
Why would east pakistan separate if was treated equally?? Especially when most of the struggle to create pakistan was a bengali effort.
Economic deprivation does not justify rebellion....
Most of the stories were propaganda anyways. That was highlighting the negatives while ignoring the positives e.g Bengalis were critical of Islamabad project stating that their jute income is being used to construct Islamabad while they forgot about Ayub Nagar ( A modern Dhaka project which Ayub started).

East Pakistan was backwards area even before independence so it needed time to get developed but the people were led to believe that WP is responsible.

Hi,

I agree with what u r saying.
Actually Yahya and A.M Rahim Khan ordered him to surrender.
By wasting lives of our soldiers, we could have saved our face anyways.

Niazi knew he would be called a coward and traitor and will be dishonorably discharged from service but he saved a lot of lives.
He made a difficult decision.
Many people would disagree with me but I believe in fighting for something which is worth fighting for.

Hi,

It took a lot of courage to lay down the weapons. He saw his legacy crumbling in front of his eyes, he had no choice but to play the cards that fate had dealt him with and he made the decision to face the humiliation of laying down his weapons to save 90000
I might have agreed with you had Niazi had not surrender while telling General Aurora dirty jokes. There is not a speck of sense of loss on his face. Maintaining one's composure is one thing, not being able to see what one has lost is quite another. Those who have served under him have described him as a commander who was oblivious of his situation and surroundings. Even the Indian commanders were not expecting the war to come to such an abrupt end and this quickly. Some 50,000 regular and another 45,000 non-regular adequately -armed troops don't lose like how we did, solely because of an incapable commander who was simply not interested in giving his best shot.

Capturehhhh.JPG

This is not the posture of a brave commander!

A quote from Hamoodur Rehman Commission Report:

'General Niazi, when you had 26,400 troops in Dacca and the Indians a few thousand outside you could have fought on for at least two more weeks, with the UN security Council in session. Had you fought on for even one more day the Indians would have had to go back, why then did you accept a shameful unconditional public surrender and provide a guard of honor commanded by your ADC?'

Niazi: 'I was compelled to do so by Jacob who blackmailed me into surrendering...'

100% agreed that what my father told may,for whom Niazi would have been fighting,he did right thing it is easy to say"Fight until last man and last bullet"but very difficult to do"
My friend you got some inquisitive mind hence I'll suggest you to go through Hamoodur Rehaman Commission report on East Pakistan debacle before reaching to certain conclusions.

Last edited:
I might have agreed with you had Niazi had not surrender while telling General Aurora dirty jokes. There is not a speck of sense of loss on his face. Maintaining one's composure is one thing, not being able to see what one has lost is quite another. Those who have served under him have described him as a commander who was oblivious of his situation and surroundings. Even the Indian commanders were not expecting the war to come to such an abrupt end and this quickly. Some 50,000 regular and another 45,000 non-regular adequately -armed troops don't lose like how we did, solely because of an incapable commander who was simply not interested in giving his best shot.

One can understand the consternation of a loss.

However to fight a losing defensive battle is far far more difficult than an offensive one. FM Slim lost all of Burma & after over a years preparation won it back. Niazi did not have such a luxury.

As far as incompetence goes , I'd rate Yahya Khan as No 1 by far . Being a military man he ought to have known the futility of the position he had put himself , his nation & his army into. Its not that this situation that obtained on 3rd Dec 71 happened overnight.

It took months and the futility of it all was evident all along - unless he was expecting a miracle to happen.

Niazi could not have given a better shot even if he wanted to - the odds were stacked completely against him - both by his President and his countrymen.

It was Niazi's call and his cowardice otherwise the troops were ready make the ultimate sacrifice. Niazi was a sheep leading an army of the lions; only if a lion was commanding our troops in East Pakistan, the history would be different.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great
sir g its reverse, apne wrong likh dia ha.

Why would east pakistan separate if was treated equally??
lol yr own first education minister and leader of congress for 9 years Molana Abdul Kalam Azad Disagrees with this claim in his book called India wins Freedom. He said that It should have been a free country from day,1 or pakistan shouldnt have accepted a territory far beyond her reach, He predicted that in the next 30 years it will separated by ''external powers'' and thats what happened.

The aftermath war calculus that we did our establishment also agreed that we shouldnt have accepted a land some 3000 km away from our main land. So the case is/was long closed.

My friend you got some inquisitive mind hence I'll suggest you to go through Hamoodur Rehaman Commission report on East Pakistan debacle before reaching to certain conclusions.
Sir, only Division present in Dhaka at the time of rebellion was fully equipped,all rest dispatched after 1970 were only carrying small arms,there ammunition and Mortars.I suggest you sir to read Tragedy of Errors: East Pakistan Crisis, by Lt. General Kamal Matinuddin it's worth reading sir.Already before actual attack in Dec,Indian troops slipped inside East Pakistan border and committed most worst brutalities against peoples and blamed Pakistan.Sir being a knowledge able person i never thought that you would be trusting UN regarding any Muslim Nation.

Read Agartla conspiracy case.

We already had three Bengali PM's but Mujeeb was already a traitor.

Economic deprivation does not justify rebellion....
Most of the stories were propaganda anyways. That was highlighting the negatives while ignoring the positives e.g Bengalis were critical of Islamabad project stating that their jute income is being used to construct Islamabad while they forgot about Ayub Nagar ( A modern Dhaka project which Ayub started).

East Pakistan was backwards area even before independence so it needed time to get developed but the people were led to believe that WP is responsible.

I agree with what u r saying.
Actually Yahya and A.M Rahim Khan ordered him to surrender.
By wasting lives of our soldiers, we could have saved our face anyways.

Niazi knew he would be called a coward and traitor and will be dishonorably discharged from service but he saved a lot of lives.
He made a difficult decision.
Many people would disagree with me but I believe in fighting for something which is worth fighting for.
Then pray tell me what justifies Rebellion? What is (or was) LTTE in Sri lanka fighting for? What are the maoists in India fighting for? What are the rebellions in the North-East fighting for? What are one of the most important reasons for the insugency in your own Baluchistan? Open your eyes and read some concrete materials from internet and not your army censured history text books to know what are the most important reasons for rebellion

View attachment 213007

A quote from Hamoodur Rehman Commission Report:

'General Niazi, when you had 26,400 troops in Dacca and the Indians a few thousand outside you could have fought on for at least two more weeks, with the UN security Council in session. Had you fought on for even one more day the Indians would have had to go back, why then did you accept a shameful unconditional public surrender and provide a guard of honor commanded by your ADC?'

Niazi: 'I was compelled to do so by Jacob who blackmailed me into surrendering...'

Although ! Things that have done cant be undone....But i've some more points
a) That moron have had an Option to escape Surrendar, Which was not Obligatory...or never been an option directed by GHQ Pakistan

b) He would;ve better option to escape undetected (decoy tactics) to neighbour Burma...which was an independent country

c) Many Soldiers refused to accept SURRENDER(in diff parts of BD) and died a painful death

d) Have a Look at his Mental Approach.....That DUMB person after coming here in Pakistan....initiated a POLITICAL Career and projected himself as a "Tiger" (Title he earned in Previous Pre-partition wars)

:rofl::rofl:
Niazi enlisted in the British Indian Army as a junior officer, and fought well during World War II. During this conflict, the young Niazi would win a Military Cross and be given the nickname "Tiger" by his superior officer due to his prowess in battle against Japanese forces. His Military Cross was earned for actions along the border with Burma, in which he showed great leadership, judgement, quick-thinking, and calm under pressure.
&
He would join the newly-formed Pakistani Army after indepdence in 1947 and quickly rose through the ranks, earning various awards including the Hilal-e-Jurat twice. By 1971 he had reached the rank of Lieutenant-General.

c) Many Soldiers refused to accept SURRENDER(in diff parts of BD) and died a painful death
Peoples don't know about it all even some Bengali fought with utmost bravery after surrender.

a) Titanic Captain have all the Amenities to Escape but what he did become an Exampl to others
b) Remember What MOSA BIN NASEER & TARIQ BIN ZYAD....did when death was imminent and inescapable.
c) Shahab ud din lost first battle with Raj Chohan......what he did become an Incentive for others to follow (its our LEGACY)
d) You must have courage to call Spade a Spade.....by liking that chunk of history you're suggesting others to establish such patterns again............Like now Recently...our DIPLOMAT in Oman escape FIRST to save his A** ...instead of staying there & come as a last Pakistani-family

Last edited:
Then pray tell me what justifies Rebellion? What is (or was) LTTE in Sri lanka fighting for? What are the maoists in India fighting for? What are the rebellions in the North-East fighting for? What are one of the most important reasons for the insugency in your own Baluchistan? Open your eyes and read some concrete materials from internet and not your army censured history text books to know what are the most important reasons for rebellion
They weren't deprived that much....
I don't have time to read "concrete" material of yours bcz I know what I am talking about and FYI I am not using textbooks as reference.

Most of groups you mentioned are fighting for seperate homeland from the start without using economy as excuse not bcz of economic deprivation.

A traitor is a traitor. If you want to find excuses than you will find excuses to even start a rebellion in UK.

"Fight until last man and last bullet"but very difficult to do"

It is not difficult to fight to the last man for pak army this is the only reason we still living or else by logical sense india would have destroyed us long time ago with it's vast army. Niazi was right to surrender for what would have he fought for the last man for EP people who were against us helping indians or the land which couldn't be reinforced in any way and any hope was a greater loss rather he saved such a large size force from being wasted which was loyal to it's country

They weren't deprived that much....
I don't have time to read "concrete" material of yours bcz I know what I am talking about and FYI I am not using textbooks as reference.

Most of groups you mentioned are fighting for seperate homeland from the start without using economy as excuse not bcz of economic deprivation.

A traitor is a traitor. If you want to find excuses than you will find excuses to even start a rebellion in UK.
The maoists are fighting against india only for economic deprivation... there are several other organizations in NE india who are fighting to break away from India- most have economic deeprivation has there agenda. And now the answer for your bolded parts
Disparities[edit]
Although East Pakistan had a larger population, West Pakistan dominated the divided country politically and received more money from the common budget.

Year Spending on West Pakistan (in millions of Pakistani rupees) Spending on East Pakistan (in millions of Pakistani rupees) Amount spent on East as percentage of West
1950–55 11,290 5,240 46.4
1955–60 16,550 5,240 31.7
1960–65 33,550 14,040 41.8
1965–70 51,950 21,410 41.2
Total 113,340 45,930 40.5
Source: Reports of the Advisory Panels for the Fourth Five Year Plan 1970–75, Vol. I,
published by the planning commission of Pakistan.

Bangladesh Liberation War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the average Bengali "Muslim" (not sure about hindus) were never against Pakistan or its ideology. Its only when you started attacking them, killing and raping them that they turned into "traitors"

lol yr own first education minister and leader of congress for 9 years Molana Abdul Kalam Azad Disagrees with this claim in his book called India wins Freedom. He said that It should have been a free country from day,1 or pakistan shouldnt have accepted a territory far beyond her reach, He predicted that in the next 30 years it will separated by ''external powers'' and thats what happened.
Maulana Azad also said among among other things that creation of pakistan would be a grave mistake, do you concur with that too, or just cherry pick certain aspects of his viewpoints?

Back
Top Bottom