What's new

The Most Generous Countries on Earth

Amercans more what they give they loot from other countries.Can American family give their grown up son in charity.no.Muslims do by giving up their sons in charity by in the path of jihad.

Your right- Americans dont do Jihad - so need to give up their sons. They just do a can-o-whoop -*** delivered via a volunteer military :)

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Personally I'm against any American help to Pakistan. It's not needed, and will improve faster without it.

Not if you are one of them

'Twenty Million Homeless' In Pakistan Floods
Pakistan Floods: Twenty Million Are Homeless After Deluge, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Says | World News | Sky News

Actualy, if i were one of them, I'd probably still not want it. I might want a new house in a long term development package. Most of the aid is pocketed though, so I'd probably not ask for that even.

Distributing food is important, though if any government was unable to do it, I'd wonder where all the money is going. Again I'd probably not want it either because longer term I'd be stuck with the same inept government.

Based on this index, Australia and New Zealand are tied as the most generous nations on earth

2009, seeing just about everyone on the South Island became a volunteer after the quakes we probably beat the Aussies for 2010

2009, seeing just about everyone on the South Island became a volunteer after the quakes we probably beat the Aussies for 2010

Lot of volunteers for Queensland this year, so no chance.

Actualy, if i were one of them, I'd probably still not want it. I might want a new house in a long term development package. Most of the aid is pocketed though, so I'd probably not ask for that even.

Distributing food is important, though if any government was unable to do it, I'd wonder where all the money is going. Again I'd probably not want it either because longer term I'd be stuck with the same inept government.

well the day you put your self in that situation and get offered aid and help or have to face death like those in the article- feel free to say no. :)

Hours volunteered is a pretty deceptive stat. Volunteering is a pretty middle class soccer mom activity and when you're working 50-60 hours in a developing country just to survive, volunteering isn't all that possible. Added to the fact that a lot American volunteer is based around the church or for political causes, it's makes it less altruistic than one might assume.

That said civil society in the west is a lot more developed than in China, though China has seem a boom in non-profits and NGOs.

Hours volunteered is a pretty deceptive stat. Volunteering is a pretty middle class soccer mom activity and when you're working 50-60 hours in a developing country just to survive, volunteering isn't all that possible. Added to the fact that a lot American volunteer is based around the church or for political causes, it's makes it less altruistic than one might assume.

That said civil society in the west is a lot more developed than in China, though China has seem a boom in non-profits and NGOs.

LOL- there is not a single sentence in your reply above ( well maybe one) that is based on facts. In fact it’s safe to say you rushed in to reply in defense of the motherland instead of educating yourself about this American exceptionalism

When provided stats , you start off with the " oh we can't beleive in those stats " :) because it does not suit your meme.

Generation X shows a high rate of volunteering in 2010 after increases since their teen years

 Generation X stepped up their commitment in 2010, giving 2.3 billion hours of service—an increase of almost 110 million hours since 2009. Once stereotyped as skeptical and disengaged, Generation X is showing signs of optimism that they can make a difference in their communities through service as they become more connected to local networks through their careers and their children.

 Gen X members have more than doubled their volunteer rate between 1989 and the present day (2010). In 1989, 12.3 percent of Generation X members who were between 16 (the minimum age to participate in the survey) and 24 volunteered with an organization. By 2010, the Gen X volunteer rate had risen to 29.2 percent.

 The increases in volunteer rates seen among Generation X reflect an observable pattern in volunteering among different age groups that holds true year after year. You might call it a “volunteer lifecycle.” What we see is that in every year for which we have volunteer data the following is true:

o The volunteer rate tends to be higher in teen years than in early adulthood, when the volunteering rate is typically at its second lowest point after very old age.

o In the mid- to late twenties, volunteering rates begin to pick up again, growing until they reach a peak around the time of middle age.
o After middle age, volunteering rates begin to drop as age increases.

Volunteers served 8.1 billion hours in 2010, valued at an estimated $173 billion.

http://www.volunteeringinamerica.gov/assets/resources/FactSheetFinal.pdf

ted_20110128a.png

So which point of mine would you like to challenge? I'll even break it down for you

- Hours volunteered is a pretty deceptive stat as a measure of generosity.

- Volunteering is a pretty middle class soccer mom activity

- when you're working 50-60 hours in a developing country just to survive, volunteering isn't all that possible.

- lot American volunteering is based around the church or for political causes

Something very fishy about those numbers.

For example:

US GDP = $15 trillion, so $28.67 billion is 0.2% of GDP
France GDP = $2.2 trillion, so $12.43 billion is 0.57% of GDP

So France gives more as a percentage of GDP.

That is because the list by Jay is in absolute terms. This is no a good indicator. The correct indicator would be percentage of GDP or GNI as per the Wikipedia page.

From the same link, the countries are

Saudi Arabia – 0.15%
Luxembourg – 0.13%
Sweden – 0.12%
Denmark – 0.09%
Kuwait – 0.06%
United Arab Emirates – 0.04%
United States – 0.03%
Germany – 0.02%
Japan – 0.01%
Portugal – 0.01%

So the Saudis seem to be the most generous in terms of percentage of GNI. Atleast for the year 2010

That is because the list by Jay is in absolute terms. This is no a good indicator. The correct indicator would be percentage of GDP or GNI as per the Wikipedia page.

From the same link, the countries are

Saudi Arabia – 0.15%
Luxembourg – 0.13%
Sweden – 0.12%
Denmark – 0.09%
Kuwait – 0.06%
United Arab Emirates – 0.04%
United States – 0.03%
Germany – 0.02%
Japan – 0.01%
Portugal – 0.01%

So the Saudis seem to be the most generous in terms of percentage of GNI. Atleast for the year 2010

Which countries were they most generous to? They do throw aid around a lot, not that the citizens have much choice.

---------- Post added at 05:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 AM ----------

well the day you put your self in that situation and get offered aid and help or have to face death like those in the article- feel free to say no. :)

It's a little bogus claiming you'd know how i would act in the first place then isnt it?

The truth is I'd probably hunt or steal to get by if all savings had gone. Wealthy countries giving aid is not a big thing when they have a lot of wealth to begin with.

Really - after putting up that chart - you ask ?
It's not soccer mom , home maker as the driving force
US workers too put 50- 60 hours hours at work too- thats no excuse to not volunteer ( most percentage who volunteer are educated lot)
Most Volunteer numbers are due to Political causes and from churches?( that was weird one)
Hours volunteered is deceptive stats?

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Most donations in last year floods came from Saudi Arabia. People of Saudi Arabia have always been generous to Pakistan during our natural disasters.

yeah? How much? vs The US...

[/COLOR]

yeah? How much? vs The US...

Saudi Arabia, the Gulf’s wealthiest state, has overtaken the US as the largest donor to Pakistan’s flood relief effort

- Saudi Arabia - becomes largest Pakistan flood relief donor - Saudi Arabia - ArabianBusiness.com

Saudi Arabia has overtaken the US as the largest donor to Pakistan's flood relief effort, following criticism that Muslim countries were not giving enough for victims of the disaster.

Pakistan floods: Saudi Arabia pledges $100m | World news | The Guardian

U.S. donated not even half the amount to Pakistan during floods that they donated to Haiti in their earthquake.

Really - after putting up that chart - you ask ?
It's not soccer mom , home maker as the driving force
US workers too put 50- 60 hours hours at work too- thats no excuse to not volunteer ( most percentage who volunteer are educated lot)
Most Volunteer numbers are due to Political causes and from churches?( that was weird one)
Hours volunteered is deceptive stats?

The graph shows

more educated more volunteer hours (middle class is more likely have higher education than working class)

more women likely to volunteer than men

if married more likely to volunteer

33-44 most likely to volunteers

Think soccer moms pretty much fits the bill. Think if they did a study, they'd find a pastel sweaters around the waist correlated pretty high with volunteering.

Back
Top Bottom