What's new

The U.S. Army's New 84-Ton Tank Prototype Is Nearly IED-Proof

Thats what it says but what if they're thinking of evolving the role of an IFV ? I would imagine that if we - mere forummites can point this out - the guys at Pentagon & the Arms Manufacturers are exponentially more qualified to know this as well !

Well, IFV and tank are not designed to fight in narrow alley and fend off IED, when you get a Bradley or an Abrams into a city fight, you have already lost your head.

The problem challenging IFV design is and always is Speed and Mobility, because when you use IFV/APC in an Armor engagement, it's speed and mobility is the key to survive such attack.

The single greatest challenge of Humvee is IED, as they are utilities transport and they are the thing you use when you have to run down a narrow street or just want to go from A to B.

The way we are train as cavalryman now did not see you literally use a Bradley or M113 get in a street fight. There are some training on this but they are not the focus, and I do not think they change the doctrine training on Cavalry fighting yet...

I cannot think of anyway this can be used to replace Bradley, Bradley is a very top notch IFV, I commanded one myself, using this to replace Bradley IMO is a step down.

Sounded like they are more to replace Humvee with this prototype where IED is the top concern.

Replacing humvees with this would cost trillions...

more than twice as much as its predecessor, the Bradley Fighting Vehicle
Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-w...prototype-nearly-ied-proof.html#ixzz2TbJW7hqG

By the way are you in the US military or swedish army?

Hmmmn....fair points ! But could it be that its going to equip elite Counter-Terrorism units in the future because obviously you're not going to come across an MBT when fighting the Taliban or terrorists elsewhere where there is some sort of US Strategic Interest ? Maybe this is supposed to be just an IFV packed with just about enough firepower & crew protection to take on anything smaller than an MBT & well protected enough to serve in a glorified Humvee meets a Bradley kinda role independently !

Or maybe I'm just talking utter nonsense ! :cray:

There are always chance that they make something out of nothing. But there are always the same chance that people will mess up these "new" thing, just like what they did with the M14 (Design to replace BAR but instead used like M16)

I cannot say, without certainty, that they may make this for one off thing and put a new role into it.

But dude, think about this, if I am a SFO, I am doing counter terrorist or Counter Intel ops inside a hostile city, using a tank this big to go around and mud around the city is as good as going from street to street with a megaphone and announce your present to everyone........

This does not make sense lol

Replacing humvees with this would cost trillions...

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-w...prototype-nearly-ied-proof.html#ixzz2TbJW7hqG

By the way are you in the US military or swedish army?

lol I was joking, I think they already have a replacement for Humvee, not sure.......

I was US Army, my wife served the Swedish Army as a lawyer........

This is mamoth,wayy too heavy for an IFV.84 tons wtf,they can't airlift them.They are 16 tons heavier than an abrams.

the tracks do not look any different from the other tanks, thus not so IED proof, is it?
If they can disable it from moving, that's pretty much the end of it

btw they have to bring the weight down as it must be able to get airlifted by C-17s.

the tracks do not look any different from the other tanks, thus not so IED proof, is it?
If they can disable it from moving, that's pretty much the end of it

btw they have to bring the weight down as it must be able to get airlifted by C-17s.

lol, I forgot about this point, if you want your vehicle IED proofed. You must not run track on it.......

Run track then you will need to wait for recovery, otherwise you can change the tare yourselves

God damn it... we needed this 10 years ago
One member explained you why I can't PM. I need to talk to you. Can you come over to one American forum, golivewire (that's the name of that forum)? There newbies are allowed to send PM. But you will have to register.

This may be good for counter insurgency. But against an opponent armed with modern heavy ATGM this is going to be a sitting duck.

horrible idea, aside from what others have mentioned, cost, speed, fuel efficiency, etc. itll be a pain to move this around, especially if you're fighting in a 3rd world country where many of the bridges etc would not support the weight. heck they probably need a new tank moving vehicle for normal transportation too.

horrible idea, aside from what others have mentioned, cost, speed, fuel efficiency, etc. itll be a pain to move this around, especially if you're fighting in a 3rd world country where many of the bridges etc would not support the weight. heck they probably need a new tank moving vehicle for normal transportation too.

LOL, it will have no use in land area like BD, over 50 tones armored vehicles can not move :P

give code= panzer and drive the tank on the road :omghaha:

Yaar you remind me of GTA :cray:. Good old days. I remember playing San Andreas and flying a Sea Harrier, shooting people while Rang De Basanti played in background (I customized the radio and filled it with hindi songs :omghaha:)

to whom it may concern

look kids popular science lied if you watch the whole video or skip to the part where they mention japan plastic tank in joint development with us army you can see that this tank supposedly 80t looks excatly the same as they were testing same shap and size five years ago which is alot lighter then 40t can be parachuted and its alot stronger then any thing currently in any military service in terms of tanks or IFV

Last edited by a moderator:
This mammoth does'nt seem practical. In all probability it will end up like the Nazi Maus prototype.

Back
Top Bottom