What's new

Turkey to upgrade PAF F-16s

spurdozer

Reaction score
Assalaam-Alaikum
I just saw on Geo TV and Express News that a Turkish firm has confirmed that it is upgrading 42 PAF F-16s and the timeframe given for the upgradation process is 46 months.
Maasha-allah.

*Says deal worth around $75 million

* Project to start in Oct 2010, take 46 months (Adds details, background)

ANKARA, June 29 (Reuters) - Turkish defence company Tusas said on Monday it would modernise 42 of Pakistan's F-16 jet fleet in a deal it said would be worth around $75 million.

The project will begin in Oct 2010 in Tusas facilities and will take 46 months, the company said in a written statement sent to Reuters.

Tusas has modernised Jordan's F-16 fighters in a deal signed in 2006.

NATO member Turkey and Pakistan have close military and strategic ties.

Tusas signed a $500 million agreement with Airbus (EAD.PA) to produce parts for A350 planes. (Reporting by Zerin Elci; Editing by Hans Peters)

Excellent news our Turkish counterparts and my personal brethren are very reliable and loyal brothers, it is in both of our interest to see one another strong and prosperous.

I understand the project will begin in Oct. 2010. Wish it was sooner...

Tusas Inks Deal To Modernize Pakistan F-16 Jets - IHA

ISTANBUL -(Dow Jones)- Turkish company Turk Havacilik ve Uzay Sanayii, or Tusas, has signed a deal with Pakistan's Defence Production Ministry to modernize 42 of Pakistan's F-16 aircrafts, Tusas said Monday, the Ihlas News Agency, or IHA, reported.

In statement, Tusas said the project for the modernization of F-16 aircrafts will cost around $75 million and the project will start in October 2010.

What kind of upgrades we are getting MLU or something else please advise

Mods.. pls merge this thread with the other.

Tusas says to modernise Pakistan's F-16s

ANKARA (June 30 2009): Turkish defence company Tusas said on Monday it would modernise 42 of Pakistan's F-16 jet fleet in a deal it said would be worth around $75 million. The project will begin in October 2010 in Tusas facilities and will take 46 months, the company said in a written statement sent to Reuters. Tusas has modernised Jordan's F-16 fighters in a deal signed in 2006. Tusas signed a $500 million agreement with Airbus to produce parts for A350 planes

Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]

This project is tooo slow! and what about our 4 F16s sent to USA last year for upgrades?

Nice to hear that.
Does this mean that upgrades can be done elsewhere and one dont have to talk to USA for them?

Why in the hell would the project start in 2010? Why not now. There is no point in delaying the upgradation.

Tusas was given contract by Lockheed Martin USA to upgrade PAF's fleet of older F16s (the F16 A/B block 15 aircrafts which we acquired in 1980s)

they will be upgraded; airframes will be renewed, avionics and radar improved. Also I believe we will get the Lockheed Martin Sniper targetting pods

All F-16s at the PAF inventory will have the same standard of operation, meaning compatibility and usage.

PAF will get 18 new F-16s which will be 52 or 52 + by 2010 hopefully

This means old upgraded F-16s will also have the same configuration as new F16s --and with new AEW&C aircrafts establishment of data-link will be possible

It is believed that 2 F-16s will be upgraded at Tusas facilities and the rest in Pakistan probably Kamra or Sarghoda

A total of 14 block 30 F-16s were delivered to Pakistan by US, as aid and all have arrived as of July 2008. I am assuming those are included in the Tusas services tender

Special kits mean, the upgrade kits, these upgrade kits will be integrated with the assistance of TAI, Pakistan does not have the knowledge, expertise and integration permission on there own by the US, that is why the work has been tendered to TAI after competition --since TAI is licensed by Lockheed Martin to assemble and upgrade F16 airframe/engine/etc.

It is 46 aircrafts in total (if i am not mistaken) that will be upgraded and delivered to Air Force of Pakistan

hope that helps

and yes --- obviously these things take time to upgrade.

I would rather they take long time, but they ensure that the procedures are done correctly.

This isn't installing an exhaust system and subwoofers in a Corolla. This is a serious job involving high tech aircrafts. Removing of old parts, replacing with new ones. Working on air-frames to ensure they are updated. Testings and trial.....etc. And it is 46 aircrafts in total if i am not mistaken

if you are in such a rush to shoot some indians, then find another way. Otherwise, just wait 42 months.

:)

Back
Top Bottom