What's new

Turkey's FM Cavusoglu issues fresh threat against Greece

Akritas

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Wednesday warned Greece against extending its territorial waters in the Aegean Sea, adding that Ankara “will not accept a fait accompli that has kept Turkey trapped in its coastline.”
Is this a legitimate dispute?

According to the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), Greece has the right to extend its territorial waters to 12 nautical miles. Territorial waters are considered to be part of the country’s national territory.

1667510927381.png

This right to extend territorial waters to up to 12nm is a sovereign right which can be unilaterally exercised and is therefore not subject to any kind of restriction or exception & cannot be disputed by third countries.

1667510968150.png

The overwhelming majority of coastal states, except for a few exceptions, have determined the breadth of their territorial sea at 12 nautical miles. Turkey itself has extended its territorial waters to 12 nautical miles in the Black Sea and the Mediterranean already since 1964.

Virtually all coastal states abide by UNCLOS except Turkey who claims to be a persistent objector to the conclusions of the treaty; However,by extending its territorial sea to 12nm in other regions,Turkey negated the strict requirement which the rule in question is subjected to.
By benefiting from the rule itself, to which, allegedly it objects, a State loses its right to be considered as a ‘persistent objector’ in this regard.
Turkish claim that the extension of the Greek territorial sea will deprive Turkey from its fundamental rights, such as access to the high seas, is untenable. Under the Law of the Sea, the right of innocent & transit passage is fully safeguarded and even expanded.

1667511086010.png

1667511107928.png

1667511130392.png

Even if Greece extends its territorial sea to the fullest possible extent, i.e. 12 nm in the Aegean Sea, Turkey may still enjoy its rights under int. law, including its own right to extend its territorial sea; for the overlapping areas there should be delimitation process.
The breadth of Greece’s territorial sea was set at 6 nautical miles from the natural coastline in 1936 however, the limit of 10 nautical miles of territorial sea regarding national airspace was explicitly maintained, based on previous legislation (Decree of 6 September 1931)
During ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (Law 2321/1995), Greece stated explicitly that it reserves the right to exercise this right to extend its territorial waters at any point in time.
In reaction to this legitimate position of Greece, the Turkish National Assembly issued a resolution on 8 June 1995 granting the Turkish government full & perpetual competence to declare war (casus belli) should Greece decide to extend its territorial waters over 6nm.
This stance on the part of Turkey is a blatant violation of the fundamental principles of the UN Charter on refraining from the threat or use of force, on the peaceful resolution of disputes and on good neighbourly relations and peaceful coexistence (Preamble).

1667511334267.png

It concurrently undermines the allied relations which should exist between states belonging to the same Alliance and goes against the basic principles on which NATO is founded (articles 1 and 2 of the North Atlantic Treaty).
Despite Turkey’s threats that the extension of Greek territorial waters is a cause of war, Athens has not moved from its longstanding position that the expansion of territorial waters to 12 nautical miles is an inalienable sovereign right.
Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias reiterated that Greece’s right to expand its territorial waters is a non-negotiable sovereign right and that Turkey must respect int. law; “We do not have to negotiate with another country to expand our territorial waters”
Turkey remains an intransigently belligerent actor in the Eastern Mediterranean and its reckless disregard for international law must be condemned.

Erdoğan and Cavusoğlu threaten us,at the same time Akar says he wants dialogue and peaceful solutions.

One day they say "Eeey Yunan! We will come one night,suddenly" and the next day they complain that we don't resolve our problems together and "involve others".

Akar says Greece shouldn't arm itself. It's a waste of money. At the same time Erdoğan talks about the Taifun's range that can reach Athens. It's as if the Modi government in India told Pakistan "don't buy more weapons. Disarm. Let's talk" while at the same time they keep buying Russian and American stuff.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu levelled his weekly war threat(casu belli) against Greece, on Thursday, warning Athens not to proceed with any expansion of its territorial waters in the Aegean as the threat of war (casus belli) is still in effect.
Casus belli VOIDS any demilitarizelation status on Aegean islands(where it exists) due to UN article 51 , right to self defence

Greece cannot be intimidated or terrorized stated government spokesperson Giannis Oikonomou on Thursday in response to Cavusoglu comments that threatened Greece with war if the country chose to expand its territorial waters in the Aegean.

Erdoğan and Cavusoğlu threaten us,at the same time Akar says he wants dialogue and peaceful solutions.

One day they say "Eeey Yunan! We will come one night,suddenly" and the next day they complain that we don't resolve our problems together and "involve others".

Akar says Greece shouldn't arm itself. It's a waste of money. At the same time Erdoğan talks about the Taifun's range that can reach Athens. It's as if the Modi government in India told Pakistan "don't buy more weapons. Disarm. Let's talk" while at the same time they keep buying Russian and American stuff.
Here we go again. The feel sorry for me violins are out again. Hanging with zionist nazis of Israel has that effect

Turkey claims that a Greek extension of its territorial waters would be to deprive Turkey from her basic access rights to high seas. This is of course an untenable claim as under the Law of the Sea, the right of innocent & transit passage is fully safeguarded and even expanded.

FlKbG7PXEAAb9HF

UNCLOS safeguards Turkey’s access to high seas from her territorial waters.
Even if Greece extends its territorial sea to 12 n.m Turkey will never cease to enjoy the freedoms of the high seas, enshrined in Article 87.

FlKbHSmXwAIobaj

The right of innocent passage is already being used in the Aegean archipelago in the 6nm territorial waters. Ships from other countries already can move unperturbed through Greek territorial waters and through narrow passages between the islands.

FlKbHuLXwAEP6WD

For those of us not familiar with maritime law, what are the benefits, if any, to Greece of extending territorial sea and what are the losses, if any, to Turkey? I am guessing, if there is less than 12 miles of water, it may be split in half and if there is more than 12 miles, no one is affected. It is hard for me to imagine that drawing a line over water causes trouble to anyone unless someone is prevented from using that part of sea.

For those of us not familiar with maritime law, what are the benefits, if any, to Greece of extending territorial sea and what are the losses, if any, to Turkey? I am guessing, if there is less than 12 miles of water, it may be split in half and if there is more than 12 miles, no one is affected. It is hard for me to imagine that drawing a line over water causes trouble to anyone unless someone is prevented from using that part of sea.
Well if we expand to 12 miles

d798e629977790c007356dc918f44270_XL.jpg

View attachment 908358
I can see there is lot more Blue on right hand side. The question is, what can you do with all that blue that you couldn't do before? And conversely, what can't Turkey do that it was able to do before? If the answer to both questions is 'nothing', what is the purpose of drama? If I string a red string around my property line 100 feet above my house and call it my 'airspace', other than looking silly, what do I benefit?

View attachment 908358

They want half the Aegean's EEZ

map8_page-0001.jpg

One of Turkey's tactics is to start demanding things out of nowhere. That's why their statements are often contradictory.
For example,they started demanding that we demilitarise the islands,saying that we are building forces on the islands close to them. But at the same time,they keep shouting about how they can easily destroy our forces and that no matter how many weapons we buy,they won't be enough to fight Turkey. And some of their officials even demanded that not only the garrisons leave the islands,but also the police.

Another tactic is to claim a lot of stuff in order to get something. And with threats and calls for "dialogue",they claim the EEZ all the way from northern Aegean down to Crete and almost of all Greek Cyprus. At the same,they say "come,let's sit down and talk,we can share the wealth of the Aegean". Or like in 2019,they used to say about Greek Cypriots who wanted to drill for oil and gas on their part of the EEZ: "It's one island,you have to share the profits with the Turkish Cypriots". Even though Turkey always supported a "two-State" solution.

It's like..I claim your house out of nowhere and start telling you "give me your house" and you say "no" all the time and then I say "ok,we can find a solution,just give me the front yard and then we can be good neighbors".

sneaky griks try many games to destabilize the Republic of Turkey. Whoever could forget how they gave greek passport to Abdullah Öcalan the pkk terror leader through their midget terrorlover state south cyprus (which needs to be crushed by Turkish army boots!)

R.26216243afd79b5ae55574af7b585f36

no 12 mile for you lol... :p:

I can see there is lot more Blue on right hand side. The question is, what can you do with all that blue that you couldn't do before? And conversely, what can't Turkey do that it was able to do before? If the answer to both questions is 'nothing', what is the purpose of drama? If I string a red string around my property line 100 feet above my house and call it my 'airspace', other than looking silly, what do I benefit?

Greece will block Turkey to enter Agean Sea, every ship need to ask permission from Greece. No stupid country would accept that.

Beside that they are not allowed because of Treaty of Lausanne, they have right only for 3 miles. What the unclos says is not allowed in the agean sea.

Greece will block Turkey to enter Agean Sea, every ship need to ask permission from Greece. No stupid country would accept that.
That's something only the Turkish government is claiming,to spread misinformation

Screenshot_2022-12-19 The Aegean dispute and the Turkish strategic doctrine of the “Mavi Vatan...png

Screenshot_2022-12-19 The Aegean dispute and the Turkish strategic doctrine of the “Mavi Vatan...png

Beside that they are not allowed because of Treaty of Lausanne, they have right only for 3 miles. What the unclos says is not allowed in the agean sea.
That's incorrect. What the Treaty of Lausanne states is:

ARTICLE 12.

The decision taken on the 13th February, 1914, by the Conference of London, in virtue of Articles 5 of the Treaty of London of the 17th-30th May, 1913, and 15 of the Treaty of Athens of the 1st-14th November, 1913, which decision was communicated to the Greek Government on the 13th February, 1914, regarding the sovereignty of Greece over the islands of the Eastern Mediterranean, other than the islands of Imbros, Tenedos and Rabbit Islands, particularly the islands of Lemnos, Samothrace, Mytilene, Chios, Samos and Nikaria, is confirmed, subject to the provisions of the present Treaty respecting the islands placed under the sovereigntyof Italy which form the subject of Article 15.

Except where a provision to the contrary is contained in the present Treaty, the islands situated at less than three miles from the Asiatic coast remain under Turkish sovereignty.

no 12 mile for you lol... :p:

The treaty of Lausanne ends in 2023.
Who will enforce the treaty..
Greece? Loooool umm ok
Turkey is not the turkey of 1900 when it had tk fight the entire Europe. And Greece won't last long

Back
Top Bottom