What's new

Turkey's President Erdogan gives green light to Sweden's NATO bid

This I don't know. Then Turkey should not support Sweden's entry in NATO, if Turkey does not get in EU then.

As long as Greece and Cyprus are members of the EU it will be a cold day in hell before Turkey is admitted as full members . It takes a unanimous vote by all member states to allow admittance. It will never happen.

As long as Greece and Cyprus are members of the EU it will be a cold day in hell before Turkey is admitted as full members . It takes a unanimous vote by all member states to allow admittance. It will never happen.
Then why should Turkey support Sweden's entry in NATO.

Again, this is the wrong political blackmail. You can keep blackmailing Sweden about EU membership before the Turks support Sweden NATO bid, this is not going todo anything, because Sweden is going to agree (if they agree) regardless, they aren't the member who have problem with Turkey, if Cyprus want to join NATO, then maybe Turkey can blackmail Cyprus into dropping the veto on EU for a tic-for-tac, it wouldn't work on Sweden.

Working on Sweden on something they can't do is pointless, and Turkey knows NATO will bend over backward anyway to admit Sweden, so why going for something you know is never going to happen when you can use this chance to get stuff that you can get realistically.

Again, this is the wrong political blackmail. You can keep blackmailing Sweden about EU membership before the Turks support Sweden NATO bid, this is not going todo anything, because Sweden is going to agree (if they agree) regardless, they aren't the member who have problem with Turkey, if Cyprus want to join NATO, then maybe Turkey can blackmail Cyprus into dropping the veto on EU for a tic-for-tac, it wouldn't work on Sweden.

Working on Sweden on something they can't do is pointless, and Turkey knows NATO will bend over backward anyway to admit Sweden, so why going for something you know is never going to happen when you can use this chance to get stuff that you can get realistically.
I believe I read somewhere that Erdogan said Turkey will only support Sweden's entry into NATO, if Sweden supports Turkey's entry in EU.

what Turkey wants from Sweden is action on PKK terrorists hiding in Sweden

Yup,America has just bought off Turkey, wonder how many millions it's cost them. The EU gives Turkey millions to keep back some of the refugees, all done on the nod without going through Brussels bureaucracy. Everything seems to revolve round bribes I suppose it always has.

Yup,America has just bought off Turkey, wonder how many millions it's cost them. The EU gives Turkey millions to keep back some of the refugees, all done on the nod without going through Brussels bureaucracy. Everything seems to revolve round bribes I suppose it always has.
Erdogan said Turkey will support Sweden's entry in NATO, if Sweden supports Turkey's entry in EU. I believe that was the deal.

I believe I read somewhere that Erdogan said Turkey will only support Sweden's entry into NATO, if Sweden supports Turkey's entry in EU.
Did you actually read??

It does not matter whether or not Sweden support Turkey EU bid. Any country want to join EU will need the European Commission (EC) approval, and that would mean 27 representative from 27 member states all agree that Turkey fulfilled the Copenhagen Requirement (or something like that) then and only then the membership for Turkey is possible. Sweden alone is just 1 vote, even if all other 24 member states agree, as long as Greece and Cyprus say no, EC will not approve Turkey membership.

Of course Turkey can still require Sweden to approve Turkey EU bid in the EC. Sweden would most likely say yes, but that wouldn't do shit because as long as Turkey have problem with Greece and Cyprus, these two will block and Turkey will not be selected for membership talks.

Did you actually read??

It does not matter whether or not Sweden support Turkey EU bid. Any country want to join EU will need the European Commission (EC) approval, and that would mean 27 representative from 27 member states all agree that Turkey fulfilled the Copenhagen Requirement (or something like that) then and only then the membership for Turkey is possible. Sweden alone is just 1 vote, even if all other 24 member states agree, as long as Greece and Cyprus say no, EC will not approve Turkey membership.

Of course Turkey can still require Sweden to approve Turkey EU bid in the EC. Sweden would most likely say yes, but that wouldn't do shit because as long as Turkey have problem with Greece and Cyprus, these two will block and Turkey will not be selected for membership talks.
I have read you fool.

I am saying what Erdogan said in a news article about a deal like that.

I am quoting Erdogan.

I understand Greece and Cyprus may block Turkey's EU bid.

what Turkey wants from Sweden is action on PKK terrorists hiding in Sweden
I don't know, Sweden Court aligned to EU court, they can't just go back and say "Screw EU and we deport all those Kurd Refugee" I don't think this is also on the table because essentially if this is, you are basically asking Sweden to leave EU.

Swedish Court and government do not have the power to do this. As Sweden is part of EU, any refugee issue in Sweden would have to go thru EU.

This is one of the reason why the UK left EU as well. EU court/law have immense power over its member....
I have read you fool.

I am saying what Erdogan said in a news article about a deal like that.

I am quoting Erdogan.

I understand Greece and Cyprus may block Turkey's EU bid.
Then why you keep asking the same thing.

If you want to ask whether Turkey want Sweden support for EU membership in exchange for Sweden NATO bid, sure, why not. But what that can do to the actual membership progress? It did NOTHING. If they did ask for that, that would just be a lip service, it's like UNSC, as long as US veto, UK or France vote is pointless. So did Russia and China. Sure Sweden will support Turkey bid, but that would do the giant sum of Zero

I don't know, Sweden Court aligned to EU court, they can't just go back and say "Screw EU and we deport all those Kurd Refugee" I don't think this is also on the table because essentially if this is, you are basically asking Sweden to leave EU.

Swedish Court and government do not have the power to do this. As Sweden is part of EU, any refugee issue in Sweden would have to go thru EU.
Basically, the so-called rule and law is to break it if necessary.

Basically, the so-called rule and law is to break it if necessary.
what? no..

I am saying Sweden law would be paralysed for any Refugee issue because that would be the jurisdiction for EU, Sweden as part of EU would have to admit to and obey EU refugee status.

The Swede can promise whatever they want to the Turks, but unless they leave the EU, they would have to follow EU guideline on refugee, they don't have the power to choose nor break away from that law.

Again, asking that is basically asking for a Swexit.

what? no..

I am saying Sweden law would be paralysed for any Refugee issue because that would be the jurisdiction for EU, Sweden as part of EU would have to admit to and obey EU refugee status.

The Swede can promise whatever they want to the Turks, but unless they leave the EU, they would have to follow EU guideline on refugee, they don't have the power to choose nor break away from that law.

Again, asking that is basically asking for a Swexit.
I'm sure Sweden can find 1001 reasons to expel all the Kurds if they want to and the EU will support their decision. The only problem here is political will. At the crucial moment, they hesitated, argued too much, and dragged on time

I'm sure Sweden can find 1001 reasons to expel all the Kurds if they want to and the EU will support their decision. The only problem here is political will. At the crucial moment, they hesitated, argued too much, and dragged on time
No. Again, it ain't up to the Swede

It's about EU giving these people refugee status, And as long as EU recognize these are refugee (which is an independent process from Sweden, as it was done by ECRE)

The Swede or any EU member cannot expel those people from their country if they were deemed refugee from ECRE. Let alone handing it back to Turkey when they are most likely going to be prosecuted.

You are asking for Sweden to do something they can't do, again, Sweden Court is powerless on these issue. These people are protected by Sweden ON BEHALF OF EU. This is not about political will, this is about how EU operate as a super entity. So if you want that, you will need to leave EU, like the Brits does.

This is like a Chinese dissentant is living in California on a refugee status the US grant them, and Chinese government told California government to hand him back to China if they can make some deal, yes, that guy is living in the state of California, but the State of California do not have the power to expel him from the US, that has to come from a Federal Court wit.. You are basically asking the same thing. These refugee living on Sweden because Sweden gave them shelter on behalf of EU, you need to take that up to EU instead of Sweden if you want them return.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom