What's new

Turkish Air Defence Programs

Come on! nobody fights with catalog specs, a loaded Mig 29 never can reach 60k ft high. Hisar O is almost Russian Buk if we consider altitude and range.

Yes, the only way a Mig-29 can reach 18km altude is in a supersonic zoom climb, definitly not sustainable for a along period, let alone for bombing/bomb loadout

Last edited:
So I take that as a yes, Hisar-O would be a game changer in Libya and also Syria.

but, you also need many of them to shoot down the missiles fired by russian jets.. Turkey need mass prodution. eerybody will purhase good air deffense missiles from Turkey

US Senate included a new addendum which authorizes the US Army to buy the S-400 AD System from Turkey for its own purposes.

This addendum becomes active once Turkey "promises" in simpler words to the US that it will not buy any non-NATO compatible Military Hardware neither from Russia or China. (Which we aren't gonna do anyhow)

It also includes the return of Turkey into the F-35 program.

There is no reason for the US Senate to add such a thing in there if there isn't talk behind closed doors. Something is surely up, we will see what happens over the next few weeks.

US Senate included a new addendum which authorizes the US Army to buy the S-400 AD System from Turkey for its own purposes.

This addendum becomes active once Turkey "promises" in simpler words to the US that it will not buy any non-NATO compatible Military Hardware neither from Russia or China. (Which we aren't gonna do anyhow)

There is no reason for the US Senate to add such a thing in there if there isn't talk behind closed doors. Something is surely up, we will see what happens over the next few weeks.

Does this mean Turkey has to sell the S400 to the US??

Does this mean Turkey has to sell the S400 to the US??

As I understand, no. I see it as a way for Turkey to get rid of it while getting back part of the money spent on it. So either Turkey lets it rot in a warehouse, finds a third party buyer or sell it to the US Army. These are the only options IF Turkey wants its suspension in the F-35 program to end.

Other option is to activate the systems and most likely face sanctions and lose the F-35 forever.

But with how the situation with Russia has evolved not only in Syria but also in Libya, and the delayed activation of the S-400 with flimsy excuses by the MoD and now this addendum added by the US Senate who was hellbent on sanctioning Turkey something has to be happening behind closed doors.

This wouldn't just come out of the blue, I think this is a way for both the US and Turkey to save face and for both to come out as "winners".

The US gets its hand on the S-400, gets one of its bigger partners back in the F-35 program.

Turkey gets its F-35s, Anadolu gets an air wing, gets back part of its money and gets rid of a systems many experts are split on how effective it would really be for the Turkish Armed Forces as it cannot be connected to the Radar network Turkey is using and how reliable is Russia with its export variants? Especially with how relaxed Russian official have and are still acting when asked about Turkey's S-400 and how they don't care what Turkey "does with it".

One example "Turkey can carry potatoes with it as long as we care".

Also for the S-400 to be effective for us we would need to order more of it, at least another 1-2 batches, thats 5 billions dollar for a system how can use to its fullest potential. Are we sure we wanna sink that amount into this systems? Thats 5 TF-2000 Destroyers, 10-12 I-Class Frigates, 5-7 LHDs as a rough comparision.

I don't like the US, I don't like the Patriot System but for Turkey it is the best way to be able to compete until you can fully separate the cord fully. The F-35 is plagued with problems but there isn't another Plane in the world right now that will give the Air Force the same kind of capabilities to expand its horizon until the TF-X(5th gen) is ready in the mid 2030s.

I would rather pay 5-7 Billion dollars for a package of Patriots, F-35(A and B) then pay that kind of money for another batch of S-400.

Both sides suck, but the benefit is bigger with the US to expand capabilities and lethality for Turkey.

That is the reality we are in.

As I understand, no. I see it as a way for Turkey to get rid of it while getting back part of the money spent on it. So either Turkey lets it rot in a warehouse, finds a third party buyer or sell it to the US Army. These are the only options IF Turkey wants its suspension in the F-35 program to end.

Other option is to activate the systems and most likely face sanctions and lose the F-35 forever.

But with how the situation with Russia has evolved not only in Syria but also in Libya, and the delayed activation of the S-400 with flimsy excuses by the MoD and now this addendum added by the US Senate who was hellbent on sanctioning Turkey something has to be happening behind closed doors.

This wouldn't just come out of the blue, this is a way for both the US and Turkey to save face and for both to come out as "winners".

The US gets its hand on the S-400, gets one of its bigger partners back in the F-35 program.

Turkey gets its F-35s, Anadolu gets an air wing, gets back part of its money and gets rid of a systems many experts are split on how effective it would really be for the Turkish Armed Forces as it cannot be connected to the Radar network Turkey is using and how reliable is Russia with its export variants? Especially with how relaxed Russian official have and are still acting when asked about Turkey's S-400 and how they don't care what Turkey "does with it".

Also for the S-400 to be effective for us we would need to order more of it, at least another 1-2 batches, thats 5 billions dollar for a system how can use to its fullest potential. Are we sure we wanna sink that amount into this systems? Thats 5 TF-2000 Destroyers, 10-12 I-Class Frigates, 5-7 LHDs as a rough comparision.

I don't like the US, I don't like the Patriot System but for Turkey it is the best way to be able to compete until you can fully separate the cord fully. The F-35 is plagued with problems but there isn't another Plane in the world right now that will give the Air Force the same kind of capabilities to expand its horizon until the TF-X is ready in the mid 2030s.

I rather pay 5-7 Billion dollars for a package of Patriots, F-35(A and B) then pay that kind of money for another batch of S-400.

Both sides suck, but the benefit is bigger with the US to expand capabilities and lethality for Turkey.
There are several buyers for s400..india china even pakistan ..turkey should nt have issue selling it..it should do it can keep the f35 and insight in european systems

Russia and turkey interests dont align..turkey should know that

Anyone have good predictions of the s400 activation scheme? Technicality or behind the scene politics with USA?

Turkey should get rid of those S-400 . by buying s-400 turkey is risking loosing business of billion dollar from F-35 parts manufacturing and support to its ally ,their is chance of us financial and military sanction which hinder Turkish growing military industry. Right at this moment due to china India stand off turkey can sell s-400 to India as selling to us will make Russia Turkey relations to toxic .

Does Russia even allow reselling S400?
How can they not allow if the s400 is turkish owned
India is probably the best candidate for a deal if they want to get S400 in 2020(as far as I know the one they ordered is delayed to december 2021-that’s almost like 2022)

Sell, sell, sell.

Back
Top Bottom