What's new

Turkish Air Defence Programs

57FB6D27-24C6-4A97-AE40-B38F2A0A0696.jpeg

Maybe because our own solutions don't have as wide a FOV as FLIR. ASELFLIR 400 has max 27° FOV compared to 40° of Star Safire 380 HD. For an air defence system, larger FOV would be preferable.

You said Aselflir is state of the art.

Guys lets be little more logical here, STAR SAFIRE 380 is far too expensive to be used on the likes of such land vehicles. Roketsan used the same E/O to showcase it's prototype Pedestal Mounted Cirit then it was swapped out for an E/O more suitable.

It's very likely we won't see this weapon-platform ever again. Aselsan will likely develop a weapon-platform and integrate into HERIKKS.

You said Aselflir is state of the art.

Aselflir is an 8-12μm (partial 3-5μm) second-generation FLIR. It is old. Star Safire is a 3-5μm third-generation system, thus it is better. Unfortunately, Aselsan couldn't make a full 3-5μm system (CATS), the main reason being the CATS uses "Common Aperture" technology. I hope they will manage the DASS which uses "Distributed Aperture" technology. In short, it literally is about the lenses.

Is name SUNGUR related to Ertugrul ???? Please tell me it isn't

We give predatory bird names to all our air to air missiles and air defence missiles.

In fact, it's time to move to a coding standard for defense industry products. Just like Americans and Russians and Chinese do.

Names are getting confused now. Thinks got ridiculous. :)

We need a spreadsheet of all the products and names, it's getting confusing to keep up.

So in a very short time (a couple of months)

We have introduced indigenous AD missiles to our inventory:
- VSHORAD manpads (sungur) (PORSAV project)
- SHORAD AD (Hisar-A) (IRIS-T SLS equivalent)
- Medium AD (Hisar - O) (IRIS-T SLM equivalent)

- long range (Hisar - U under development)

Missiles in development Sea based AD:
- G40 (ESSM equivalent)

AA missiles in development:
- Bozdogan (falcon colubarius) shortrange (AiM-9 equivalent)
- Gokdogan (falcon perigrine) medium range (AIM-120C equivalent)
- Akdogan (falcon rusticolus) (long range?) (I'm guessing here AIM-120D equivalent?)

And than we will have some NASAM's like configurations with AA missiles in AD role

future developments we need:
- AIM-260, Meteor like extended long range missiles with Ramjet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom