What's new

Turkish court sentences top pianist accused of tweets that insulted Islam

Now they have jailed someone for insulting Fetullah Güllen, too.

I just hope that his highness Erdo the First of Sharia-Erdo Empire will be merciful enough to forgive me for expressing my thoughts.

erdogan_kendisini_sultan_olarak_goruyor_h617.jpg

I think in the new empire,if you wear a ''Burkha'' all will be good.

Yes,this will be his last chance to do such a thing.

So, it is still planned? He is trying to manipulate the constitution so he doesn't have to relinquish his power. Isn't anyone trying to stop him?

So, it is still planned? He is trying to manipulate the constitution so he doesn't have to relinquish his power. Isn't anyone trying to stop him?

He's giving the Kurds (BDP) everything they want, because they're the only party he (and his party) could possibly convince to vote for his constitution.

Fame shouldn't be taken as a free pass to insult others and their faith. This jerk totally deserved it. :tup:

You are absolutely right.
He must have been sent directly to jail . Why Suspended Sentence ?

It seems very little to me. If he repeats that , the sentence should be increased to deter others from committing similar crimes.

I'm in for presidency. Turkey suffored much from previous coalition governments.

Some people say that he want to grant himself with much power. I mean he has complete control over government, judicial, media, army. He says "I found interest rates a bit much". After that day interest rates through the country lowers. He says "i'am against abortation". After a week abortation gets banned. How can it be worse than now ?

Nobody can for now,we are democratic so the one with the most votes gets it.
The only way to stop the sultan would be if some lunatic would try something but i doubt it.

You are absolutely right.
He must have been sent directly to jail . Why Suspended Sentence ?

It seems very little to me. If he repeats that , the sentence should be increased to deter others from committing similar crimes.

What crime?

I'm in for presidency. Turkey suffored much from previous coalition governments.

Some people say that he want to grant himself with much power. I mean he has complete control over government, judicial, media, army. He says "I found interest rates a bit much". After that day interest rates through the country lowers. He says "i'am against abortation". After a week abortation gets banned. How can it be worse than now ?

He has control over what goverment can control and thats why interest rates were reduced because the instution that controls the interest rates (Central Bank) is state controlled. Btw, abortion isn't banned in Turkey, what do you think Turkey is?

And no, Presidental system leads to nothing but problematic solutions and divide the nations on political terms. Just look at US of A. I can't think of any state that has this much division in society based on political terms. And I can't think how much more totalitarian AKP will get after Presidental system, considering their ridiculus behaviours.

Whenever someone asks me about democracy and Muslims i give example of Turkey . It is the shining example for other muslim countries to follow but this erdo dude is trying to drown turkey in the same cesspool in which Ottomans drowned . And many of those don't like Mustafa Kemal Ataturk as well .

Whenever someone asks me about democracy and Muslims i give example of Turkey . It is the shining example for other muslim countries to follow but this erdo dude is trying to drown turkey in the same cesspool in which Ottomans drowned . And many of those don't like Mustafa Kemal Ataturk as well .

So do you think people should be free to insult anyone .. ?? Is that democracy in your point of view ??

Turkish court sentences top pianist accused of tweets that insulted Islam
Read more at ********.com - Turkish court sentences top pianist accused of tweets that insulted Islam (comments)

Istanbul, Turkey (CNN) -- An Istanbul court slapped a world-renowned musician Monday with a 10-month suspended sentence for posting a series of tweets that poked fun at Islamic descriptions of heaven.

Classical concert pianist Fazil Say, 43, was found guilty of "openly insulting the religious values held by a portion of the public" for the tweets, which were posted last year.

"Although I am innocent and have not committed any crime, this decision I received is more worrisome for the freedom of expression and belief in Turkey than it is to me as a person," Say wrote in a statement posted on his Facebook page. The sentence marks a "very sad day for freedom of expression in Turkey," Say's lawyer Meltem Akyol told CNN. "We were expecting an acquittal."

"Freedom of expression does not entitle you to condescend or offend or insult people," countered plaintiff Ali Emre Bukagili. "That's a crime."

Say's tweets included: "You say the rivers will flow with wine, is heaven a tavern? You say each believer will receive two women, is heaven a brothel?" according to the indictment.

In another, Say joked about the short duration of a cleric's traditional Islamic call to prayer. The tweet asked a rhetorical question to the chanting cleric: "What's the hurry? Lover waiting?" the indictment said.

Say also was convicted of retweeting allegedly offensive posts, such as, "I am not sure if you have realized it, but where there is scum, a lowlife, a thief or a fool, s/he is always an Allahist. Is this a paradox?"

Faruk Logoglu, deputy international affairs chairman of the nation's main opposition party, CHP, called the sentence a "new link in the long chain of assaults on the freedom of expression and freedom of conscience in Turkey."

"This is shameful for Turkish democracy," he said.

Say won't have to serve his sentence as long as he doesn't commit a similar crime within the next five years. "The decision is a correct one," said Bukagili. "In our laws, it is against the law to publicly insult a belief, and he did that."

The case was filed last June after three plaintiffs lodged formal complaints.

Say has been a vocal critic of the Islamic-rooted Justice and Development Party, which has governed Turkey since it first won parliamentary elections more than a decade ago. Critics linked the case to a recent string of freedom of expression prosecutions in Turkey.

Last year, Say commented on the case for CNN Turk. "... if I thought I was guilty, I would feel uncomfortable with myself and would enter the jail on my own," he said. "It is difficult for them to send me to jail. It is that simple."

Court sentences top pianist accused of tweets that insulted Islam - CNN.com
Read more at ********.com - Turkish court sentences top pianist accused of tweets that insulted Islam (comments)

Yes it does that is exactly what it does. Freedom to express your thoughts without fear that it may offend. The only thing you cannot use freedom of expression for is to instruct people to hurt or kill others.

Worse than the people who conducted terror attacks in Boston.Surely you must get some perspective on this.Every human being has the right to express his/her opinion.

or should i have said one of the worst?

if he is a pianist, artist, then he should spread peace through his art, then spread religious hatred and intolerance

Back
Top Bottom