What's new

Two hours before 26/11 attacks, Hemant Karkare called me to say his life under threat

Two hours before 26/11 attacks, Hemant Karkare called me to say his life under threat: Digvijay Singh

In a startling revelation days after the second anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has said that two hours before the first terrorists struck that evening, chief of the Maharashtra ATS Hemant Karkare called him to say that his life was “blighted by constant threats” from those opposed to his probe into the Malegaon blast in which Hindu extremists were accused.

Karkare was killed by the terrorists that evening. Days later, then Minorities Minister A R Antulay had to quit after he said that Karkare could have been a victim of “terrorism or terrorism plus something.” Speaking to The Indian Express today, Digvijay Singh said: “On November 26, 2008, at 7 pm, just about two hours before the attacks in Mumbai started, Hemant Karkare, the slain ATS chief rang me on my mobile and told me how his family and his life were blighted by constant threats from people annoyed by his investigations into the Malegaon blasts.

“Woh pareshaan the (he was worried), and he told me he was trying to trace the calls, but was depressed and worried by threats and personal attacks made in their newspapers. Karkare also told me that he was hurt that in a paper, the mouthpiece of a Hindu right-wing organization, allegations were being made that my son was minting money in Dubai, when in reality he was only a school student in Mumbai.”

Singh said he knew Karkare as his family was associated with Chhatarpur in Madhya Pradesh (Digvijay Singh’s home state too and where he was Chief Minister for 10 years).

He said that Karkare’s father was posted as a railway officer before moving to Nagpur and they often talked.

“I was so shocked and demoralized on being told of his death in the attacks in Mumbai late at night on November 26, that my initial reaction was, ‘Oh God, they have killed him.’ It was only later that I found out about other events taking place in the city on that dreadful day.”

On December 6, Singh had shared these revelations with the audience at a function to launch RSS ki saazish — 26/11? (26/11, an RSS conspiracy?) authored by Aziz Burney, editor-in-chief of Urdu Sahara newspaper.

Present at the function were Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha K Rahman Khan and three MLAs from Delhi, Shoaib Iqbal, Chaudhry Mateen and Asif Mohammed Khan. Also present were leading lights from the clergy Maulana Mahmood Madani from the Deobandi sect, Maulana Touqir Raza Khan from the Barelvi sect and Shia leader Kalbe Jawwad.

The moderator was noted Akhtar-ul Wasey, director of the Zakir Husain Institute of Islamic Studies at Jamia Millia University.

In his book, Burney writes: “It was on November 12 (this year) after I heard Digvijay Singh at Nagpur, powerfully denounce the theories of former Chief of the RSS, K Sudershan on the Congress president Sonia Gandhi and other things, which were an attempt to stop investigations into the alleged involvement of people linked to the RSS, that I was inspired to put all my pieces together on this subject and air this suspicion fully that in fact Karkare’s assassination was plotted by people associated with the RSS to stop him from unmasking the face of RSS-inspired terror...If Karkare had not been killed, he would have possibly unveiled the entire terror network and not just names of certain individuals, trying to turn India into a Hindu rashtra through violence.”

Currently, Burney is part of the press team travelling with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Belgium and Germany, and said he would “elaborate when he gets back”.

now it took 2 years to recollect it.
these politicians can put their mother on sale for pity benefits.

please keep 26/11 out of politics and b united.

Just one question. Since it has been prooved can you please show us the proof.

even their proofs are as dry as their threats !

in mumbai we call it... 'sookhi hool' ..... :rofl:

Digvijaya claims are painful: Karkare's wife

Kavita Karkare, widow of former Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad chief Hemant Karkare who was killed fighting Pakistani terrorists on the night of November 26, 2008 in Mumbai, has rubbished Congress General Secretary Digvijaya Singh claims that her husband had called the Congress leader just hours before the Mumbai terror attack saying that his life was under threat.
Speaking to CNN-IBN she said that she knew nothing of her husband making a call to Singh and added that her husband constantly faced all sorts of threats. She objected to his martyrdom being politicised.
CNN-IBN: What do you think makes Digvijaya Singh make these comments after two years of your husband's death?

Kavita Karkare: Actually many are saying these comment that he was killed by terrorist but that is 100 per cent wrong because on 26th (November 26, 2008) we have seen that the Pakistani terrorists are involved and I don't agree with Digvijaya Singh's statement. Digvijaya Singh wants to bring politics in this thing but and his relating 26/11 with Hindu people and that is really painful.

CNN-IBN: Do feel that there is you know something like a communal divide that is being created by Digvijaya Singh?

Kavita Karkare: Yes and Pakistan will get benefit from all these things.

CNN-IBN: So do you think that will affect the 26/11 investigation?

Kavita Karkare: Definitely it will affect. My husband was a very balanced person. Being a Hindu also he was very much balanced and he gave equal importance to all religion.

CNN-IBN: Do you feel traumatised by these various theories that keep coming in time and again?

Kavita Karkare: Yes! I really feel traumatised. I really feel sad sometimes. My children are staying abroad, one is in Europe and the other is in America. Sometimes I feel that I should go and stay with them

Digvijaya claims are painful: Karkare's wife - India News - IBNLive

batman please read this before going to youtube

Dude both videos are different. In the first one what is questioning id irresponsible behavior of the department. She is correct their, basically police arrived late at Cama because they were not prepared to take terrorist. Something outsiders will not understand, Mumbai police had guns they never use to fire.

Reading through some of the Pakistani responses is like having a new revelation every post: It is hard to believe that someone could live in so delusional a world, but then as some say - "Welcome to Pakistan!"

Well, have fun with your delusions. We can only hope that while you go down with them, you don't drag us with you.

It is sad, to think that the indian security services would murder one of their own, to prevent their nefarious activities becoming known.

Oops, first he says he has proof. Now he says he doesn't! Foot in mouth? Bloodsuckers playing politics over our dead shaheeds :(

Now, Digvijay Singh can't find phone records of conversation with Karkare

GUWAHATI: A day after he claimed of having proof of his phone talk with Hemant Karkare just before the 26/11 attacks, Congress leader Digvijay Singh today said he has not been able to get the phone records but stuck to his remarks about threat to the police officer from right-wing Hindu groups.

"I am not a liar, there is no need for me to lie that I had spoken to (slain Maharashtra ATS chief) Hemant Karkare," Singh, who has recently been made party in-charge of poll-bound Assam, told reporters here.

The Congress general secretary, who yesterday claimed he had records to prove that he had spoken to Karkare, today said he had requested the Telecom Ministry to get the record of the call between him and the police officer from its centre in Pune.

Singh said that he had sent a request in this regard to the General Manager of BSNL at Bhopal but "has got in writing from them that they cannot provide details of this number as the records are kept only for 12 months".

He said he had spoken to Karkare from his number registered in Bhopal.

The Congress leader had said that Karkare had spoken about threats from right-wing groups during the telephonic conversation with him.

"There is no need for me to spread a lie. I stand by what I said. It's not a new thing and I have said it many times on the electronic media and to the print media," he said.

Dismissing as "absolutely rubbish" suggestions that he was questioning the investigation in the 26/11 case or meant to say that Pakistani terrorists were not involved in the encounter of Karkare, he said, "BJP is a master of double speak and is creating confusion" on his remarks.

Singh said, "I do not have any doubt about involvement of Pakistani terrorists in 26/11. I am satisfied with the investigations."

He rejected former Assam Chief Minister Praful Kumar Mahanta's charge that he was using Karkare as a weapon for creating communal divide in the country.

"Mahanta is my old friend. He should stop making such statements," he said.

Continuing his tirade against the BJP, Singh said immediately after the incident former Governor Julio Rebeiro had also said that Karkare had met him a few days before the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Karkare had told Rebeiro that "he was sad as senior BJP leaders Lal Krishna Advani, Rajnath Singh and some Hindu outfits were levelling baseless allegations against him and had raised questions on his honesty and integrity.

"I want to ask the BJP what right Advani and Rajnath Singh had to to put question marks on Karkare's honesty and integrity. Was this act by a former Home Minister of the country not an attempt to influence the investigations and demoralise Karkare," he said.

Replying to a question, he said that he was "grateful" that the BJP has reacted strongly to his statement.

Following media reports that call records of Karkare's cell phone showed that Singh had neither called the police officer nor received any call from him during that period , Singh had yesterday said, "I have got records for that. Absolutely, I am firm on this. I did speak to him and I have stated that already."

Now, Digvijay Singh can't find phone records of conversation with Karkare - The Times of India

It is sad, to think that the indian security services would murder one of their own, to prevent their nefarious activities becoming known.

Yes indeed sad to know that you think so just because you want to keep supporting your terrorist heroes, AKA charities.

My signature applies.

Call records don’t match Diggy claim

Digvijay Singh’s claim of having spoken to Maharashtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare two hours before his death is getting disproved as the slain police officer’s cell phone records show he neither called nor received a call from the Congress general secretary at 7 pm on November 26, 2008, when Digvijay ought to have spoken to him.

Singh had stirred up a controversy when he claimed that the ATS chief had called him to say he was worried as his life was under threat from Hindu fundamentalists. The next day, however, he claimed that it was he who had called up Karkare.

Karkare’s wife Kavita denied the statement, saying her husband had not spoken to the Congress leader.

M AIL T ODAY has exclusive details of Karkare’s 26/ 11 call records, on which Singh’s number does not appear at the time mentioned. The records show that Singh couldn’t have reached Karkare at his office at 7 pm, as the ATS chief had left before 5 pm.

Singh also could not have spoken to Karkare at his residence as the ATS chief had gone to attend a meeting with the then Mumbai Police Commissioner Hassan Gafoor around 7 pm, and then gone to meet home minister R. R. Patil at the Mantralaya between 8.30 and 9.30 pm.

When MAILTODAY accessed his records, it was found that Karkare had only spoken to two police officials for more than 2 minutes between 5 pm and 8 pm on 26/11. One was a 125-second-long incoming call at 5.42 pm from 98706088**, which belongs to senior IPS officer Vishwas Nangre Patil. There was no call received or taken by Karkare at 7 pm Karkare was also on the line with then DGP A.N. Roy (987017000) for 283 seconds.

Digvijay Singh didn&#8217;t respond to repeated calls from MAIL TODAY. His response to SMS queries on the discrepancy was, &#8220;I have the call record too&#8221;. Though he said he would speak to MAIL TODAY on the inconsistency, he refused to respond to calls and SMSes thereafter.</p> &lt;p>Singh&#8217;s claim is incredulous not only because of the call records, but also because those who knew Karkare well said he would not speak to a politician on such matters.

&#8220;The point is Karakre would not have spoken to him about all this even if he (Digvijay) had called him. How could he have told Singh he was worried about his life when he had not spoken to me?&#8221;said an IPS officer who was a close friend.

The officer, who preferred not to be identified, said Karkare was threatened by all kinds of people.&#8220; It was not just Hindutva fundamentalists. Karkare first got threats from the Indian Mujahideen when their cadres were arrested after the 2008 serial blasts. Yes, he did get terror threats from Hindutva fundamentalists.Someone called up the Pune police and told them that Karkare and Ajay Misar, the prosecutor who initially argued the ATS case against Lt Col Purohit, would be bumped off. But Misar is still alive,&#8221; the officer said. Karkare had also been threatened by the Maoists as he had served a considerable period in Maoist- dominated Gadchiroli.

&#8220; Can we say tomorrow that the Maoists had a hand in his killing? The fact is, he did face an extraordinary amount of pressure and he felt it was unwarranted because the Hindutva terror case was just a normal case for him. But to say he confided all this to Digvijay Singh, a politician, is humbug,&#8221; said the friend.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/call-records-don&#8217;t--match-diggy-claim.html

The team investigating the 26/11 should interrogate diggy and give him the proper police treatment.

Back
Top Bottom