What's new

Type 052D DDG News & Discussions

Understood, thanks for the information! However, are some of the VLS cells "deep" enough to accommodate the YJ-18 land-attack cruise missile once software upgrades are complete?
I believe all modules are deep enough since the length of the land-attack cruise missile is less than 7 meters.

Just for reference, as we now know it does appear that the Chinese authorities are making less of any news about recent commissionings of some of their major surface combatants, as we found out last year when there was apparently no fanfare over the 6th 052D being entered into service, last June.
Since then, i had wondered how many 052D's are now actually in service, and according to WIKI (Chinese) version, which i find to be very accurate, it is believed there are now 7 052D's in service, with the "Nanjing" entering service this month. There is still a question mark whether the "Urumqi" has entered service yet, so it could be 8 052D's in service.
Also it is quoted that there are now 19 052D's in total, built, or being built.
Can anyone here clarify whether this is correct or not?

Anyway, together with the 055, China is really going for it, in building a large Destroyer fleet! :-)

Just for reference, as we now know it does appear that the Chinese authorities are making less of any news about recent commissionings of some of their major surface combatants, as we found out last year when there was apparently no fanfare over the 6th 052D being entered into service, last June.
Since then, i had wondered how many 052D's are now actually in service, and according to WIKI (Chinese) version, which i find to be very accurate, it is believed there are now 7 052D's in service, with the "Nanjing" entering service this month. There is still a question mark whether the "Urumqi" has entered service yet, so it could be 8 052D's in service.

Anyway, together with the 055, China is really going for it, in building a large Destroyer fleet! :-)
Twenty one 052D and eight 055 in first batch. And the goal is over 70 modern destroyers fleet before year 2030.

China will be a giant beast on the high sea by year 2030, but a peace loving one like Godzilla 2015.

China now needs to focus on its nuclear submarine fleet of 095s and 096s, which are arguably more important than a large destroyer fleet. A blue water navy needs to be dominant both above and below the water

Twenty one 052D and eight 055 in first batch. And the goal is over 70 modern destroyers fleet before year 2030.

China will be a giant beast on the high sea by year 2030, but a peace loving one like Godzilla 2015.
Indeed. But I feel that the 095 development is much more important than even the 055. If its noise can rival that of Virginia’s, that would be a game changer for the PLAN

China now needs to focus on its nuclear submarine fleet of 095s and 096s, which are arguably more important than a large destroyer fleet. A blue water navy needs to be dominant both above and below the water
China will be the strongest and peaceful country in Asia by year 2030.

Indeed. But I feel that the 095 development is much more important than even the 055. If its noise can rival that of Virginia’s, that would be a game changer for the PLAN

That is absolutely correct. The Chinese Surface ships are sitting ducks as long as the US and even Japan/Aus have the world's quietest submarines prowling the waters below. It amazes me that the PLAN is focusing so heavily on Destroyers and Flattops when they are outclassed and outnumbered under the water. The subsurface domain is where the PLAN is the most vulnerable and where they appear to be investing the least.

The PLAN will be decimated unless it completely disrupts the fish hook line and develops technologically equal undersea forces to protect its surface groups

That is absolutely correct. The Chinese Surface ships are sitting ducks as long as the US and even Japan/Aus have the world's quietest submarines prowling the waters below. It amazes me that the PLAN is focusing so heavily on Destroyers and Flattops when they are outclassed and outnumbered under the water. The subsurface domain is where the PLAN is the most vulnerable and where they appear to be investing the least.
The development of Chinese submarines is in secret, and no news is good news.

I have no doubt that the Chinese are working very hard on their submarine development, its just that this is wrapped up in greater secrecy. Once these new nuclear subs come into service in the next decade, then the Chinese would of completed their naval development, and its then the fleet should have its greatest protection.

Anyway back to the 052D.......based on what we know now about the number of 052D's and 055's, can anyone hazard a guess as to what the carrier battle groups in terms of numbers be made up of between 2020-2030?

Last edited:

The PLAN will be decimated unless it completely disrupts the fish hook line and develops technologically equal undersea forces to protect its surface groups
:haha:You know nothing

The subsurface domain is indeed where PLAN is figured to be most vulnerable (both submarine and anti-submarine warfare to be exact). Have in mind though that the fact they "appear investing the least" does not really say much. This impression is simply the result of profound secrecy in this sector of PLAN procurement.

Which - btw - should say a lot about how important PLAN considers its submarine program to be. ;)

To get back on topic, I count 17 052Ds in all (active, building, fitting out). I haven't seen any concrete evidence for PLAN building the 18th hull. Do we have more information on this?

The subsurface domain is indeed where PLAN is figured to be most vulnerable (both submarine and anti-submarine warfare to be exact). Have in mind though that the fact they "appear investing the least" does not really say much. This impression is simply the result of profound secrecy in this sector of PLAN procurement.

Which - btw - should say a lot about how important PLAN considers its submarine program to be. ;)

To get back on topic, I count 17 052Ds in all (active, building, fitting out). I haven't seen any concrete evidence for PLAN building the 18th hull. Do we have more information on this?
Never try to show whatever you've got, that's the nouveau rich mentality.

Submarine are unable to do the global projection needed for a major naval power. Soviet make such mistakes, PLAN will not follow. How do you support amphibious operation with submariner? How do you provided air defense for marine landing? Humanity mission , evacuation and rapid search and rescue operation with helo?

Submarine can’t do that.

Back
Top Bottom