What's new

Type 052D DDG News & Discussions

I'm curious why the PLAN commissioned the recent 052D without fanfare or a public ceremony anymore. It never appeared to me that they were deceptive, especially with regards to the surface fleet. Is it part of the new national security policy?

I'm curious why the PLAN commissioned the recent 052D without fanfare or a public ceremony anymore. It never appeared to me that they were deceptive, especially with regards to the surface fleet. Is it part of the new national security policy?

If true, it is strange as it really doesn't mean anything, as we all know and can see what warships and how many the Chinese are building. All it does is just delay people like us and anyone else interested in naval matters, as to when a particular ship gets commissioned into the fleet!

If true, it is strange as it really doesn't mean anything, as we all know and can see what warships and how many the Chinese are building. All it does is just delay people like us and anyone else interested in naval matters, as to when a particular ship gets commissioned into the fleet!

I have been overconfident. This might be bad news to some of you -- an instruction has been given to stop report on commission events.

In my own opinion from the beginning, disclosure in military affairs should be strictly done at the "need-to-know basis"... A military force discloses any info if it deem it's necessary and serves some point(s)... but no such unnecessary disclosure, which is a foolish thing to do. And every force has its own objective. So, in this case it's just fine for me. In today's world, the seemingly rather peaceful situation looks like just a calm sea before the storm... though one can hardly tell the timing of such storm. I am aware many here may not like this new policy, but I just say out what I do believe :-)

img-59b0149e804d8c161f5a2ed0e50291a2.jpg
img-ba322d1e606a7dd33430b0febbe68d1e.jpg
img-6d29169d1768183f6d10815b0127a68a.jpg

Image suggests YJ-18 anti-ship missile has entered PLAN service
Richard D Fisher Jr - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
07 September 2017
China has released the first photograph of its YJ-18 anti-ship missile (ASM) being launched from a People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) Type 052D destroyer: an indication that the ASM has entered service with the fleet.
p1709108.jpg
China has released the first image of its YJ-18 ASM being launched from a PLAN Type 052D destroyer: an indication that the ASM may have entered service with the fleet. (Modern Ships magazine via CJDBY webpage)

Published in the Chinese military magazine Modern Ships , the image appears to confirm previous media reports that the YJ-18 is a vertically-launched (VL) three-stage ASM that it is similar in design to the Russian-made Novator 3M-54T (SS-N-27A ‘Sizzler’) Kalibr-NK ASM.

This photograph shows that the YJ-18 shares the domestic VL version’s distinctive layout, with its booster (first stage), cruise missile (second stage), and its supersonic rocket-powered third stage.

China acquired the submarine-launched 3M-54E (SS-N-27B ‘Sizzler’) Club-S export ASM to arm is eight Russian-built Project 636M conventional attack submarines delivered between 2004 and 2006. It is not clear whether Russia sold co-production rights or whether China developed a close copy of the 3M-54 domestic version.

In its 2015 China Military Power report the US Department of Defense had stated that the “Luyang III DDG and Type 055 CG will be fitted with a variant of China’s newest anti-ship cruise missile, the YJ-18 (290 n miles [537 km]), which is a significant step forward in China’s surface ASUW [anti-surface warfare] capability”.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options: ihs.com/contact

Does anybody know the length of the YJ-18? This can clue us in as to whether the 052D has land-attack capability or not (fzgfzy and a few other credible posters have claimed that it does, but this would confirm it).

The answer is no, or not for now, and it has been confirmed by several sources.

ab2351974ac155f_size69_w700_h525.jpg

The combat system on 052D and 055 resembles the upgreadable AEGIS, which ensures the exploitation of its potential (in the form similar to Baselines).

The answer is no, or not for now, and it has been confirmed by several sources.

ab2351974ac155f_size69_w700_h525.jpg

The combat system on 052D and 055 resembles the upgreadable AEGIS, which ensures the exploitation of its potential (in the form similar to Baselines).

Understood, thanks for the information! However, are some of the VLS cells "deep" enough to accommodate the YJ-18 land-attack cruise missile once software upgrades are complete?

Back
Top Bottom