Unholy laws

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
guardian.co.uk home | guardian.co.uk
Unholy laws

Pakistan's rules on blasphemy are cruel, unfair and open to abuse. It's time for the new government to take a stand against them

Benedict Rogers

Ten years ago today, Bishop John Joseph, Catholic bishop of Faisalabad in Pakistan, shot himself dead on the steps of the Sahiwal district court in protest at the abuse of the country's blasphemy laws. Ten years on, little has changed in Pakistan.

Today also marks the 22nd anniversary of the introduction of the most deadly of Pakistan's blasphemy laws. Section 295-C of the Pakistan penal code, introduced by the then dictator General Zia ul-Haq, imposes the death penalty on anyone blaspheming the Prophet Muhammed.

Since 1986 several people have been sentenced to death, though subsequently acquitted. While no one has yet been executed by the state, at least 25 people have been arbitrarily killed by vigilante extremists. Even if acquitted, anyone accused of blasphemy is marked for life in the eyes of the Islamists. They cannot resume a normal life, and instead live in hiding or exile. Just last year, for example, a Pakistani Christian, Younis Masih, was sentenced to death for blasphemy. He has filed an appeal, but even in prison his life is in danger.

It is not only the accused whose lives are endangered. Lawyers and human rights activists who defend blasphemy cases or campaign for the law's repeal are at risk. In blasphemy cases, extremists, usually led by mullahs, crowd into the courtroom, shouting blood-curdling threats to the judge and defence counsel. A lawyer I know personally, who has defended many blasphemy cases, constantly receives anonymous threatening phone calls, and has been attacked more than once outside court.

The blasphemy laws impact everyone, regardless of religion - and the tragedy is that almost every case is completely fabricated. When the laws were first introduced, they were used primarily as a tool by extremists to target religious minorities - Christians, Hindus and others. These days, however, Muslims have got wise to the potential for using the blasphemy law against each other to settle personal scores.

The reason is simple. The blasphemy law requires no evidence other than an accusation made by one person against another.

There is no proof of intent, and an inadequate definition of blasphemy. When it comes to court the accuser does not even have to substantiate the charge. If the judge asks what the accused actually said, the accuser can refuse to elaborate, on the basis that by repeating the alleged statement they themselves would be blaspheming.

At least 892 people so far have been accused under the blasphemy laws. Those accused are jailed, often tortured and shackled in solitary confinement, and so even if acquitted, they emerge physically and psychologically scarred.

A false rumour of blasphemy is enough to spark mob violence before it even reaches the courts. Last month Jagdesh Kumar, a 22-year-old Hindu factory worker in Karachi, was beaten to death for allegedly making blasphemous remarks.

In 2005, a mob destroyed three churches, a convent, a school, a girls' hostel and a priest's home in Sangla Hill, accusing a Christian man of desecrating the Qur'an. "Within minutes, the Christian residential area was blazing. Christian residents fled to save their lives," a report claimed. Extremists used mosque loudspeakers to spread the rumour of blasphemy, and called on Muslims to rise up and eliminate Christians. They passed a resolution calling for the hanging of the accused person, three weeks after the initial violence.

Pakistan's new prime minister, Yusuf Raza Gillani has promised to make fighting terrorism his top priority. To do this, he needs to create an atmosphere of moderation and tolerance. Benazir Bhutto, Pakistan's former prime minister and leader of the Pakistan People's Party (PPP), assassinated just after Christmas, has described the crisis in Pakistan in alarming terms.

In her book Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy and the West, published after her death, she warned: "Pakistan today is the most dangerous place in the world. Pakistan faces the threat of both Talibanisation and Balkanisation, which are gaining in strength".

To slow the tide of extremism, Pakistan's government should return to its roots and be guided by the vision of its founder, Muhammed Ali Jinnah. In 1947, Jinnah said the famous words:

"You are free. You are free to go to your temples. You are free to go to your mosques or to any other places of worship in this state of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion, caste or creed - that has nothing to do with the business of the state ... We are starting with this fundamental principle, that we are all citizens and citizens of one state."

The first step to restoring Jinnah's vision is to repeal the blasphemy laws. Such a move requires courage. It will outrage the extremists, and upset some of Gillani's coalition partners from the Pakistan Muslim League, whose leader, former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, was described by Bhutto as "a Zia protégé with Islamist tendencies". In power, according to Bhutto, Sharif praised the Taliban as a model for Pakistan to follow, and attempted to introduce an "Islamisation bill", which if passed would have incorporated sharia law into the constitution, and given the prime minister, not the courts, power to enforce religious edicts. It was, she argues, an attempt "to turn Pakistan into a theocratic state".

Gillani has a mandate for moderation, however, and should not give Sharif's views any credence. His PPP defeated the pro-Taliban pro al-Qaida coalition that ruled North West Frontier Province, the Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal, which had been on the verge of Talibanising the area, shutting down music shops, introducing full sharia law and creating a Saudi-style religious police.

Their defeat, and the overall support for the PPP nationally, suggests that the majority of Pakistanis are moderate and progressive. That should give Gillani's government courage to be bold in pursuit of moderation. Such courage would ensure that Bishop John Joseph's death was not in vain.

Today also marks the 22nd anniversary of the introduction of the most deadly of Pakistan's blasphemy laws. Section 295-C of the Pakistan penal code, introduced by the then dictator General Zia ul-Haq, imposes the death penalty on anyone blaspheming the Prophet Muhammed.

Alas, it’s just another damage that was done by Gen Zia. :tsk:

Killing another human in the name of Blasphemy is too extreme for me. It was never recommended by Prophet himself nor did anyone in his time kill anybody due to this reason. Or is there any example where he let the Sahabis to kill another human for ridiculing him? I don’t think so ….:undecided:

Today, the extremist elements can kill anyone, if one just questions the authenticity of any Hadith or challenges an Islamic rule. While many Muslims today, consider it as our birth right and leave no chance to verbally thrash, abuse and doubt the integrity of all other religions and their Gods , we forget that what goes around, comes around and become sensitive and violent when someone challenges our faith or jeers at our prophets.

We all love our Prophet, but it doesn’t give us the right to kill or hurt anyone if one disrespects him. We should rather take any blasphemist verbally instead of using the force, but if one doesn’t want to engage a blasphemist verbally, then it will be appropriate just to ignore them.

Alas, it’s just another damage that was done by Gen Zia. :tsk:

Killing another human in the name of Blasphemy is too extreme for me. It was never recommended by Prophet himself nor did anyone in his time kill anybody due to this reason. Or is there any example where he let the Sahabis to kill another human for ridiculing him? I don’t think so ….:undecided:

Today, the extremist elements can kill anyone, if one just questions the authenticity of any Hadith or challenges an Islamic rule. While many Muslims today, consider it as our birth right and leave no chance to verbally thrash, abuse and doubt the integrity of all other religions and their Gods , we forget that what goes around, comes around and become sensitive and violent when someone challenges our faith or jeers at our prophets.

We all love our Prophet, but it doesn’t give us the right to kill or hurt anyone if one disrespects him. We should rather take any blasphemist verbally instead of using the force, but if one doesn’t want to engage a blasphemist verbally, then it will be appropriate just to ignore them.

x_man - i couldnt agree with you more. well put!

So as a Christian, I would have to be very careful if I visit Pakistan?? just curious..

So as a Christian, I would have to be very careful if I visit Pakistan?? just curious..

No why should you be. Believe me the world makes us look like we are wild people but the truth is we are a friendly and most loving people. These Blasphemy law are no big deal. I mean I think it should be a crime to insult any religion, but the question is why would you want to do such a thing.

i think these laws should be scraped but this really plays into the hands of extremists. But i think it will be hard for anyone to scrap these laws because the mullahs would make them look as unfaithful infidels.
Coming to Gen Zia. the man has given pakistan nothing but pain and suffering even in his death ( may Allah bless his soul ) he is creating problems for pakistan and defaming pakistan.

The current international atmosphere, with the recent cartoon controversies and Wilder's movie, will make it almost impossible for any political party to enact legislation that completely removes these laws.

Removing loopholes and increasing the burden of proof might be done (and I think was done to some extent by Musharraf).

The real issue however is that of an inefficient and poor law enforcement capability. If the police cannot prevent street "justice", and stop extremists from riling up mobs and stopping the riled up mobs, no law is going to make a difference.

No why should you be. Believe me the world makes us look like we are wild people but the truth is we are a friendly and most loving people. These Blasphemy law are no big deal. I mean I think it should be a crime to insult any religion, but the question is why would you want to do such a thing.

Indeed, none should insult another religion.

But the issue is that the Blasphemy Law has been misused by people to settle scores!

That is where the main problem lies.

Further, to apply a religious law against others is a bit odd. For instance, if in the US they apply Christian Laws on non Christians, it would make it difficult for others. Imagine, burnt at the stake as a heretic!

Indeed, none should insult another religion.
But the issue is that the Blasphemy Law has been misused by people to settle scores!
That is where the main problem lies.
Further, to apply a religious law against others is a bit odd. For instance, if in the US they apply Christian Laws on non Christians, it would make it difficult for others. Imagine, burnt at the stake as a heretic!

Well I believe insultinga any religion should be a crime. Now I agree with you that these laws are easy to use when getting revenge, but maybe something could be done to cover the loopholes. Now I dont know about other religions, but Islam teaches us to respect all religions and not to discriminate against anyone based on religion, class, culture and other things which are used by society to discriminate.

ok, so I agree that there is no law stipulating that one should be sentenced to death if he blasphemies against Islam, non that I could find, but you tell me something, whats the remedy for this solution? we all have people to blame, blame Zia Ul Haq, blame the 'mullas' but what good does it make? We should blame ourselves for this, because isnt it true that it is an insult of a Muslim when his religion is insulted? I mean we love to talk about how things are bad, but we never really try to improve the image of Islam. That is the subject we really need to work on and talk about.
:pakistan:

Salaam

Another thing, i saw that this article was mainly based on the fact that Christians were being targeted, Their own religion permisses them to kill anyone who blasphemies againts Christianity

Take the blasphemer outside the camp. Have all those who heard him place their hands on his head; then have the entire congregation stone him. Then tell the Israelites, Anyone who curses God will be held accountable; anyone who blasphemes the Name of God must be put to death. The entire congregation must stone him. It makes no difference whether he is a foreigner or a native, if he blasphemes the Name, he will be put to death.

Leviticus 24:14-16

I need not say anything else....

Salaam

Another thing, i saw that this article was mainly based on the fact that Christians were being targeted, Their own religion permisses them to kill anyone who blasphemies againts Christianity

Take the blasphemer outside the camp. Have all those who heard him place their hands on his head; then have the entire congregation stone him. Then tell the Israelites, Anyone who curses God will be held accountable; anyone who blasphemes the Name of God must be put to death. The entire congregation must stone him. It makes no difference whether he is a foreigner or a native, if he blasphemes the Name, he will be put to death.

Leviticus 24:14-16

I need not say anything else....

Salaam

tit for tat, an eye for a eye - u will make many friends.

Back
Top Bottom