What's new

Featured US sixth gen fighter making rapid progress, to enter service by end of decade

12) So, yea I would say China had something to do with it

The answer is in the opening post. The J20 is operational now, and yet the USAF opine the F-22 will be competitive for another two decades. If you know anything about aeronautical engineering, sensors and air combat tactics you should be able to independently form an informed opinion about your adversaries capabilities. When PAF acquired the block 52 I hypothesized to a chorus of objections that the PAF will fare well against the Raptor of the east. Now we have real evidence to support that hypothesis. If you know where to look and what to look for there is plenty of open source data to reach a reasonable conclusion of fighting capability.

The F-22 fleet is small and suffers from vanishing-vendor problems, senior USAF officers have said recently. A recent high-level USAF planning document said the F-22 won’t be competitive two decades from now. Hinote said the F-22 “has its limitations and we can’t modernize our way out of the [air superiority] problem with just using an updated F-22.”

The answer is in the opening post. The J20 is operational now, and yet the USAF opine the F-22 will be competitive for another two decades. If you know anything about aeronautical engineering, sensors and air combat tactics you should be able to independently form an informed opinion about your adversaries capabilities. When PAF acquired the block 52 I hypothesized to a chorus of objections that the PAF will fare well against the Raptor of the east. Now we have real evidence to support that hypothesis. If you know where to look and what to look for there is plenty of open source data to reach a reasonable conclusion of fighting capability.

The F-22 fleet is small and suffers from vanishing-vendor problems, senior USAF officers have said recently. A recent high-level USAF planning document said the F-22 won’t be competitive two decades from now. Hinote said the F-22 “has its limitations and we can’t modernize our way out of the [air superiority] problem with just using an updated F-22.”

I am not expert here so I want to ask of why LM doesnt use F35 production facility to produce Raptor again ??

F-22A Raptor is not going anytime soon.

F-22 is expensive to service and it's not in production. There is no justification to keep it around. So retirement starts in 2030.
I am not expert here so I want to ask of why LM doesnt use F35 production facility to produce Raptor again ??

F-22 is expensive and unless upgraded to F-22B standard cannot counter J-20 which is an absolute beast.

Posts of No-value/off-topic

Last edited by a moderator:
F-22 is expensive to service and it's not in production. There is no justification to keep it around. So retirement starts in 2030.

F-22 is expensive and unless upgraded to F-22B standard cannot counter J-20 which is an absolute beast.

Sounds stupid but I'll listen to you.

Doubt it. The benefit won't justify the cost. The fuselages are 40+ years old and due for retirement.

You mean the design is 40 years old. Built a new F-16 and it would last for decades equipped with new avionics, missiles, engines, etc.

LM can either design a new version with F-35 skin, avionics and other critical components or retrieve the tooling from storage and build new aircraft using the old design. But USAF wants a clean sheet design to confront new and emerging threats. For one thing, the power and cooling requirements for sixth gen will be much higher since it will fly with directed energy weapons. The F-22 wasn't designed to fly with DEW or be optionally piloted or operate in a mixed formation of manned and autonomous drones. I could go on and on..

F-22 does not use modern technology and computers like F-35.

This sixth gen fighter is basically an F-22 with the modern technology present in the F-35.

It is completely overkill and will be like something out of a sci fi movie. Even the "old" F-22 is more than enough for any plane on this earth for the next 15 years. In fact it is so ahead of its time most of this decades old fighter is still highly classified.

Nope it is not "overkill".

Chinese are making progress on their WS-15 engine for the J-20 and that could start being put into production aircraft by middle of this decade.

The Chinese also started researching and even developing their 6th-gen fighter before th J-20 was inducted in 2017. This fighter will use the same adaptive cycle engine that both the US and UK 6th gen fighters will use.

There will still be a gap between the US/UK 6th gen fighters and the Chinese equivalent but expect at least the Chinese 6th gen fighter to significantly outperform both the F-22 and F-35 in air-combat.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen. F-15EX and F-16V will comprise next generation American fighter jets. 6th gen is fantasy.
tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom