What's new

US strikes in Pakistan will continue: Gates

Salahadin

Reaction score
Updated at: 2103 PST, Tuesday, January 27, 2009
WASHINGTON: The United States will continue to carry out missile strikes against al Qaeda militants in Pakistan, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said on Tuesday.

"Both President Bush and President Obama have made clear that we will go after al Qaeda wherever al Qaeda is and we will continue to pursue that," Gates said.

Asked by committee chairman Senator Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat, if that decision had been conveyed to the Pakistani government, Gates replied: "Yes, sir."

SLAMABAD (AFP)--Pakistan should stop protesting against U.S. missile strikes in its territory and instead focus on extracting concessions for what it sees as a violation of sovereignty, analysts said recently.

The first suspected U.S. missile strikes since the country's new President Barack Obama took office destroyed two alleged militant dens Friday in Pakistan's northwestern tribal belt. Officials put the death toll at 21, including three children.

Drawing heavy criticism from the Pakistan government, the strikes dashed hopes that the new administration in Washington would halt such attacks in the fight against extremists in South Asia.

Political analysts stress that expectations of a policy change are unrealistic, despite Washington's appointment of a new special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan and the Obama administration's pledge to reinvigorate diplomatic strategy.

Former interior minister and retired lieutenant general Hamid Nawaz said Pakistan has to work harder in the national interest to extract concessions elsewhere and overcome the clear violation of national sovereignty.

"They (the U.S.) are very serious as far as terrorism is concerned. The new U.S. administration is deploying additional troops in Afghanistan, and when Gen. David Petraeus was here, he was concerned about the supply route (to the troops) ," he said.

The United States is seeking to increase the number of supply routes into Afghanistan, where U.S. and North Atlantic Treaty Organization forces are fighting Taliban insurgents, with extremist attacks plaguing the main transport corridor through Pakistan.

"The U.S. may help Pakistan more in terms of giving more aid, offering more trade opportunities, relaxing pressure on the nuclear program or helping us improve relations with India," Nawaz said.

"Pakistan has to take decisions in the national interest. There is no use in protesting to the United States. We will have to take action," Nawaz said.

"We can tell them, 'Do not violate our sovereignty, and if you do we will stop the supply route', things like that, so that our voice is heard in Washington."

Ishtiaq Ahmed, an international relations professor at Islamabad's Quaid-i- Azam University, also hinted at some kind of quiet agreement.

"There might be an understanding at some levels between the two sides about the U.S. drone attacks in Pakistani tribal areas," he said.

"Protests by Pakistan over missile strikes are basically meant for domestic public consumption, otherwise it is not possible that we keep on protesting and they keep on doing it," Ahmed said.

Former President Pervez Musharraf also said recently that Pakistan's efforts in the fight against terror should be rewarded with greater assistance.

On the eve of Friday's strikes, Obama warned that Islamist extremists in Pakistan and Afghanistan posed a grave threat and would be tackled as a single problem under a wider strategy.

Dozens of missile strikes since August have sparked government criticism of the United States, a close ally fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan and believed to be firing the missiles from unmanned CIA aircraft.

"These attacks do not help the war on terror. It alienates the local population," a spokesman for President Asif Ali Zardari said after the head of state lunched with U.S. Ambassador Anne Patterson on Saturday.

"We maintain that these attacks are counterproductive and should be discontinued," said the foreign ministry spokesman.

Islamabad has welcomed Obama's appointment of veteran U.S. diplomat Richard Holbrooke as special Afghanistan and Pakistan envoy. He has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize several times and is known for brokering the 1995 peace agreement that ended war in Bosnia.

Political analyst Hasan Askari said that while Washington pursues a double- pronged strategy, a full-scale review was underway.

"The U.S. administration appears to be very active on Afghanistan," Askari said. "There are drone attacks, and on the political front they have appointed a special envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan. They are reviewing policy."

"
Pakistan has to take decisions in the national interest. There is no use in protesting to the United States. We will have to take action," Nawaz said.

"We can tell them, 'Do not violate our sovereignty, and if you do we will stop the supply route', things like that, so that our voice is heard in Washington."

To late Washington just found a new supply route, a new strategy has to be implemented for the voices to be heard.

"

To late Washington just found a new supply route, a new strategy has to be implemented for the voices to be heard.

I thought they where looking for new supply routes along with the one going through Pakistan because of the stepping up of US troops in Afghanistan, they will in time need a lot more supplies than required today and therefor more supply routes. Yes, this threat is viable today, but maybe not in the future. If they cut the supply route right now Washington will (probably) listen, but for how long, that i cant speculate.

"We may be weak now, but our memory is long."

Better finish you while we can.:agree::usflag:

"...they cut the supply route right now Washington will (probably) listen"

Probably not. That's a one-shot deal. You get to do that once.

Then it's our turn.:angry:

We'll find out pretty quick one way or the other where the leverage lies.

Probably not. That's a one-shot deal. You get to do that once.

Then it's our turn.:angry:

We'll find out pretty quick one way or the other where the leverage lies.

It seems like its been "your turn" since day one.

"How long will the rule of the tyrant last? Babylon was destroyed.

The spilt blood of the innocents will not be in vain, there will be retribution, of that you can be sure.

We may be weak now, but our memory is long."

I didn't start this.

Our poet's words are a direct challenge and threat to my citizens, nation, and myself. Don't tell me now that well in the future you'll be coming after me.

Your intent is clear now even if your means aren't.

His words were immediately followed by yours before I could even make my first reply-

You are rather cavalier about the threats that are intended for America. There probably isn't a day here where some loon is trying to start a thread about nuking America.

Both comments were knee-jerk reactions out faster than my reply. You were all over your "supply route" leverage.

So be it. Use it.

I think it's important. I don't think it's insurmountable. If so, you've got us over a barrel. If strained, maybe we talk.

If not, you'll have some visibly p!ssed off Americans showing Pakistan what cards WE hold.

How long will the rule of the tyrant last? Babylon was destroyed.

The spilt blood of the innocents will not be in vain, there will be retribution, of that you can be sure.

We may be weak now, but our memory is long.

Kya bola man kassam se maza agaya :pakistan:
I am going to use this We may be weak now, but our memory is long. as my signature if u dont mind

US army,air force,navy was saying that the war with Japan was being won and the media was reporting that US is winning the war but if the war was won why did US drop atom bomb on Japan thats what exactly happening in Afganistan.

COUNTRIES INVADED BY US

-PUETO RICO
-PHILLIPIES
-JAPAN
-VIETNAM
-SOUTH KOREA
-HAWAII
-HAITIE

and many others.

Last edited:
"How long will the rule of the tyrant last? Babylon was destroyed.

We may be weak now, but our memory is long."

I didn't start this.

Our poet's words are a direct challenge and threat to my citizens, nation, and myself. Don't tell me now that well in the future you'll be coming after me.

Your intent is clear now even if your means aren't.

His words were immediately followed by yours before I could even make my first reply-

You are rather cavalier about the threats that are intended for America. There probably isn't a day here where some loon is trying to start a thread about nuking America.

Both comments were knee-jerk reactions out faster than my reply. You were all over your "supply route" leverage.

So be it. Use it.

I think it's important. I don't think it's insurmountable. If so, you've got us over a barrel. If strained, maybe we talk.

If not, you'll have some visibly p!ssed off Americans showing Pakistan what cards WE hold.

I suppose the latter part of your post is directed to me, so let me give you my response. First of all, i have not indicated any such thing as nuking America, i have no interest in more blodshed in the world then what is going around in present time. When i stated to cut the supply line, it was not intended as a "death to America" conduct but rather as a strategy to get the attention and a chance of equal co-operation.

Second, you have to see about the relationship going on here, the USA's War on Terror and Pakistans contribution. You must remember that Pakistans participation is not fully voluntary. It could offcourse not say no when asked post-9\11, because of the already active sanctions and fragile economy. It is hard to imagine what the situation would be today if ex-President Musharraf did not handle the situation as he did.

Moreover, one has to see the assymetrical balance of power in the relationship. America as the hegemon and Pakistan as the developing country close to economical collapse.

Now engaged in the WoT Pakistan simply cant say "no" longer, Pakistan has to comply, or see more of unilateral strikes within its territory. For Pakistans participation we must not forget that compensation have been received, yes compensation for being a "major non-NATO ally" Pakistan is not being dealt with as a "ally" but rather like a hired help. (But it is understandable because of USA cannot give Pakistan to much because it is in their interest to increase the bilateral relationship with India, but that is a another discussion). This offcourse causes bitterness, you are engaged in a war with people who are (partly) the inhabitants of the nation and the war is also imposed by a greater force and on top of that the sovereignty of the nation is constantly ignored and unilateral actions are taken to "take out targets" without any compliance (in this argument i assume that there is no "secret" deal betweent the governments as stated by offical statements).

If the situation was reversed, how would you feel? Bitter, angry, frustated?

Now tell me, how happy would you be when lets say your military found "high value" targets in the USA and launched a strike on them taking with them a handfull of civilians? Not once, but often. And on top of that you cant show the middle finger and say get off our backs either, because you know there will be greater consequenses. Wouldnt you then think of strategies when treated unequal that would make them listen to you?

Everyone knows what USA is capable to do, we got a lot of examples from around the globe since WWII to gain the specific knowledge.

My point is that it is not in Pakistans interest to destabilize the region any further, but as long as there is assymetrical co-operation, information and unilateral strikes and upon that Pakistans requests are not being heard over and over again. When treated unequally one must find solutions to get treated better, especially when you see how USA treat other NATO member states compared to Pakistan and therefor one must see on the comparative advantages Pakistan has, and right now it is the supply route.

Pakistan says US strikes are 'counter-productive'

Afp, Islamabad

Pakistan yesterday hit back against US Defence Secretary Robert Gates, saying US missile strikes inside its borders were "counter-productive" to anti-terrorism efforts.

"Our policy remains unchanged and we believe drone strikes are counter-productive," foreign ministry spokesman Mohammad Sadiq told AFP.

He was speaking in response to a statement from Gates that the United States would "go after Al-Qaeda wherever Al-Qaeda is" and affirming that the new US administration's position had been transmitted to the Pakistani government.

"Both President (George W.) Bush and President (Barack) Obama have made clear we will go after Al-Qaeda wherever Al-Qaeda is, and we will continue to pursue that," Gates told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

But the Pakistani foreign ministry spokesman branded the strikes by drones "counterproductive to our efforts to counter terrorism."

He declined to make any further comment.

Two missile strikes in South and North Waziristan, on Pakistan's side of the border with Afghanistan, where US and Nato-led forces are battling Taliban insurgents, on Friday last week were the first such attacks since Obama took office.

Pakistani security officials said at least 21 people were killed, including three children.

The strikes effectively dashed any hopes Pakistani officials were nurturing that the new Obama administration would halt such actions.

Dozens of similar strikes since August have sparked sustained and angry government criticism of the United States, a close ally believed to be firing the missiles from unmanned CIA aircraft.

Pakistan has repeatedly protested to Washington that drone strikes violate its territorial sovereignty and deepen resentment among the 160 million people of the nuclear-armed Islamic nation.

President Asif Ali Zardari and army chief General Ashfaq Kayani were quoted as telling top US General David Petraeus in Islamabad last week that they hoped the Obama administration would take their concerns into consideration.

:The Daily Star: Internet Edition

Back
Top Bottom