What's new

What are US soldiers dying for?

Marines in deadly Afghan valley face combat stress - Yahoo! News

SANGIN, Afghanistan – When U.S. Marine Lance Cpl. Derek Goins deployed to the most dangerous place in Afghanistan five months ago, he mentally prepared for the risk of getting shot by the Taliban or stepping on bombs buried throughout this southern river valley.

But he wasn't ready for what happened to his two best friends, who were shot to death inside a patrol base by an Afghan army soldier who escaped into the arms of the Taliban.

"I grew up with those guys in the Marine Corps and shared a lot of laughs and tears with them," said Goins, 23, from Trumbull, Texas. "We expected to come here and fight and not just get murdered, and that's what it was."

The Marines who arrived in Sangin district of Helmand province in October have seen the kind of tragedy and combat stress that few can imagine — more than 30 deaths and 175 wounded, with scores losing arms and legs when they stepped on bombs.

The 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment and smaller Marine units attached to it are fighting to regain this key insurgent stronghold in one of the country's bloodiest regions.

At least 288 NATO service members were killed in Helmand province in 2010. Last year was the deadliest of the nine-year Afghan war for the international forces, with 701 killed.

Many of the Marines in Sangin say they are coping by blocking out the horrors they have seen. Psychiatrists say that behavior is normal during combat, but it could trigger post-traumatic stress disorder when the Marines go home next month.

"It's a day-by-day thing and you don't know if you're going to be the guy to get hit the next day, so you just keep on pushing," said Goins, who like most of the Marines in Sangin is on his first combat deployment.

Lance Cpl. James Fischer, whose platoon lost a Marine to Taliban gunfire the first time they patrolled outside their base, said he has become numb to even the most gruesome scenes.

"Afterward, you just don't get that shock anymore," said Fischer, 20, from Glendora, California. "You'll have to deal with it at some point, but right now the most important thing is keeping everyone around you alive."

Cmdr. Charlie Benson, a Navy psychiatrist who has visited the Marines in Sangin nearly a dozen times, said he has not seen an abnormally high rate of mental health issues in the battalion — although it's too early to tell who will have problems when they go home.

Benson, 46, from Marcelus, New York, believes the Marines are coping relatively well with the combat in Sangin because they have good leadership and feel they are making progress. Sangin is a major narcotics hub that funds the insurgents and a gateway to stream fighters into Kandahar, the Taliban's spiritual heartland.

The Marines have stepped up their efforts to deal with combat stress in recent years by deploying additional mental health professionals with the troops. They also have trained medical corpsmen, chaplains and Marines to recognize when troops are having trouble coping.

"There is a lot of stress, and it's not just combat," said Sgt. Adam Keliipaakaua, a 26-year-old Marine from Newport News, Virginia, who is on his fourth combat deployment. "It's from back home, too, with people's parents getting divorced, people's wives cheating on them or leaving them."

Keliipaakaua said he tries to prepare his Marines for the nightmares and irritability they may face when they return home and have to deal their emotions.

"For me, I'm pretty much emotionally cold. My wife tells me that all the time," said Keliipaakaua, who suffers from nightmares of a Marine dying in his arms.

An average of 15 to 20 percent of troops who have traumatic experiences during combat often suffer post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, when they return home, Benson said. The condition arises when troops continue to try to suppress emotions with drugs, alcohol or by avoiding situations that trigger painful memories.

"If you're having issues six months after the event, then that would be a good indication," Benson said. "One of the things that Marines hate is the feeling that if they had only done X, Y or Z, this guy would still be alive."

Psychiatrists often treat PTSD by having troops repeatedly tell the story that haunts them, forcing them to face their emotions and pushing them to see that often there was nothing they could have done to save their buddy, Benson said.

Sgt. Matt Lewoczko, a Marine in Sangin on his fourth combat deployment, said everyone deals with the horrors of war differently when they return home.

"Some guys are going to go back and it will be good to have their family, some will crawl into a bottle for a week, month or couple months and then will crawl out and be fine," said Lewoczko, 27, from Houston, Texas. "Unfortunately, some guys don't get over it."

I was reading this a few moments ago.

Marines are hiding in their bases.....they die. They fight, they die. Like WTF?

Remember 9/11, God Bless

Propaganda from warlords can only go this far.

Whether Bin Laden has anything to do with 911 is still debatable.

Again, then why Iraq?

Its an honor to serve and fight these terrorist

We have enough terrorists in Wall Street, in medicare system, why nobody calls it honor to fight? What is the change? Where is the change?

---

We must withdraw all the troops in Iraq and Af. and guard tightly our ports, coastal and boarder lines.

We must protest against the incompetent leaders, cooperate interest groups, Wall Street alligators, not against the innocent soldiers. The soldiers are just ordinary Americans' sons and daughters. Some of them just want to have free scholarship and other benefits, some others to move forward in their life. The soldiers are also victims of dopes:
According to data from a U. S. Army mental-health survey released last year, about 12 percent of soldiers in Iraq and 15 percent of those in Afghanistan reported taking antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, or sleeping pills. Prescriptions for painkillers have also skyrocketed. Data from the Department of Defense last fall showed that as of September 2007, prescriptions for narcotics for active-duty troops had risen to almost 50,000 a month, compared with about 33,000 a month in October 2003, not long after the Iraq war began.

In other words, thousands of American fighters armed with the latest killing technology are taking prescription drugs that the Federal Aviation Administration considers too dangerous for commercial pilots.

U.S. military: Heavily armed and medicated - Health - Health care - msnbc.com

From the isolated outposts of Afghanistan to the bloody streets of Fallujah in Iraq, U.S. troops have been fighting, dying and suffering unbearable emotional scars. A 2008 Rand Corporation study found under 20 percent of soldiers reported psychological distress in some form.

Some have unfortunately committed suicide, but ABC News has been told that an increasing number -- at least 8 percent of the force -- are now using pills to treat themselves. Some are turning to antidepressants, such as Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil, which are prescribed right on the front lines.

"We are sending soldiers into the field, into combat missions, who are suicidal," said former Air Force psychologist Jason Prinster. "And we are prescribing medication that has significant side effects."

Soldier Said He Was Given Prescriptions, No Therapy

Luther was an Army sergeant based in Taji, Iraq. He told ABC News he didn't get therapy for his emotional problems, just drugs to help him make it through his deployment.

Many American Soldiers Turning to Prescription Drugs to Treat Psychological Distress. - ABC News

STOP THE WARS! :taz:

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2011/01/doping-up-troops.html

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Doping Up the Troops

U.S. Central Command policy allows troops a 90- or 180-day supply of highly addictive psychotropic drugs before they deploy to combat, reports Nextgov.

The CENTCOM approved drug list is a mixture that includes drugs like Valium and Xanax, used to treat depression, as well as the antipsychotic Seroquel, originally developed to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, mania and depression.

CENTCOM policy does not permit the use of Seroquel to treat deploying troops with these conditions, but it does allow its use as a sleep aid, and allows deployed troops to be provided with a 180-day supply.

In an e-mailed statement to Nextgov, Col. John Stasinos, chief of addiction medicine for the Army surgeon general, and Col. Carol Labadie, pharmacy program manager in the Directorate of Health Policy and Services for the surgeon general, said soldiers are supplied with up to 180 days of medications because they "serve in remote areas without easy access to pharmacies. It is important that soldiers on chronic medications do not run out of them during combat operations, because not taking the medications can be as dangerous as taking too much medication."

A June 2010 internal report from the Defense Department's Pharmacoeconomic Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio showed that 213,972, or 20 percent of the 1.1 million active-duty troops surveyed, were taking some form of psychotropic drug: antidepressants, antipsychotics, sedative hypnotics, or other controlled substances.

Dr. Grace Jackson, a former Navy psychiatrist, told Nextgov she resigned her commission in 2002 "out of conscience, because I did not want to be a pill pusher." She believes psychotropic drugs have so many inherent dangers that "the CENTCOM CNS formulary is destroying the force," she said.

Dr. Greg Smith, who runs the Los Angles-based Comprehensive Pain Relief Group, said he was shocked by CENTCOM's drug policy for deployed troops. "If I was a commander I'd worry about what these troops would do," as a result of their medications, Smith said.

^^ you had 4 wars with India and 50 years later you do not realize your blunder. Anyways i hope all the troops come back home. Need not fight useless, unworthy muslim terrorists.

^^ you had 4 wars with India and 50 years later you do not realize your blunder. Anyways i hope all the troops come back home. Need not fight useless, unworthy muslim terrorists.

^^^ who started arms race in south asia.. ?? and who attacked and threatened Pakistan in Past...?? you need to realize your blunders first...and also take care of your Hindu terrorists ...

^^^ who started arms race in south asia.. ?? and who attacked and threatened Pakistan in Past...?? you need to realize your blunders first...and also take care of your Hindu terrorists ...

I never knew that India started kargil war

Whether Bin Laden has anything to do with 911 is still debatable.

STOP THE WARS! :taz:

Oh Boy! not another 911 conspiracy theorist... god bless the US and its freedom which affords freedoms to the children of the lesser gods too.

Oh Boy! not another 911 conspiracy theorist... god bless the US and its freedom which affords freedoms to the children of the lesser gods too.
The man does not have the courage to come out and said 'it' publicly. That is why his kind will always hide behind words like 'debatable'.

always hide behind words like 'debatable'.

Bingo, exactly.

- The Chinese invented gunpowder

"Uh, that's debatable. Bacon did it."

etc. Just about ANY position, regardless of the evidence, can be discarded with "that's debatable." OF COURSE it's debatable, everything on Earth is, to some degree.

The man does not have the courage to come out and said 'it' publicly. That is why his kind will always hide behind words like 'debatable'.

Fanatics, Eastern and Western, scare to death when they hear “debate”. The only functionality of their nerve system is to label a thing, without a source, and then say it publicly and run over it, amuck. Be they Hitler or other extremests.

An example of "say it public": :devil:
Former aide: Powell WMD speech 'lowest point in my life'

A former top aide to Colin Powell says his involvement in the former secretary of state's presentation to the United Nations on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was "the lowest point" in his life.
"I wish I had not been involved in it," says Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, a longtime Powell adviser who served as his chief of staff from 2002 through 2005. "I look back on it, and I still say it was the lowest point in my life."

Wilkerson is one of several insiders interviewed for the CNN Presents documentary "Dead Wrong -- Inside an Intelligence Meltdown." The program pieced together the events leading up to the mistaken WMD intelligence that was presented to the public. A presidential commission that investigated the pre-war WMD intelligence found much of it to be "dead wrong."

Powell's speech, delivered on February 5, 2003, made the case for the war by presenting U.S. intelligence that purported to prove that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. Wilkerson says the information in Powell's presentation initially came from a document he described as "sort of a Chinese menu" that was provided by the White House.

"(Powell) came through the door ... and he had in his hands a sheaf of papers, and he said, 'This is what I've got to present at the United Nations according to the White House, and you need to look at it,'" Wilkerson says in the program. "It was anything but an intelligence document. It was, as some people characterized it later, sort of a Chinese menu from which you could pick and choose."

Wilkerson and Powell spent four days and nights in a CIA conference room with then-Director George Tenet and other top officials trying to ensure the accuracy of the presentation, Wilkerson says.
"There was no way the Secretary of State was going to read off a script about serious matters of intelligence that could lead to war when the script was basically un-sourced," Wilkerson says. :tdown:

Former aide: Powell WMD speech 'lowest point in my life' - CNN

Bingo, exactly.

- The Chinese invented gunpowder

"Uh, that's debatable. Bacon did it."

etc. Just about ANY position, regardless of the evidence, can be discarded with "that's debatable." OF COURSE it's debatable, everything on Earth is, to some degree.

Bingo on Iraq’s WMD? :disagree:

Fanatics, Eastern and Western, scare to death when they hear “debate”. The only functionality of their nerve system is to label a thing, without a source, and then say it publicly and run over it, amuck. Be they Hitler or other extremests.
Still too afraid to come out and admit you are a 9/11 'Truther', eh?

Still too afraid to come out and admit you are a 9/11 'Truther', eh?

You do know he is Chinese yeah? seditious tendencies are not too surprising--every post he makes, I mean every post literally is anti US. Notice how he brings Hitler into the reply too. If you hate every core of America, I mean every core of it and I challenge you to find this kid say otherwise- is it too far off to ask WTF are doing in Cali china town?

its one thing to be disagreeable about a countries certain policy- I'm all for getting out of Afghanistan and agree Iraq was unnecessary, I even agree Bush should be held for crimes (torture)- but this kid hopes for the worst for the US and only sees the worst in the US and I mean in everything US. ... I swear sometimes I wish the US was China and they would drop kick these you know what out of our shores.

Back
Top Bottom