What's new

What if PAF had no Thunder?

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Now coming to think about it, what if PAF didn't opt for JF-17 Thunder? New F-16s or even an upgrade on the original 32 F-16s were no where in sight.

Really glad how it played out and how effective JF-17 Thunder has been so far not just helping Pakistan Air Force cover the technology gap but maintenance too, looking at the current situation of the economy.

Any idea what would PAF be like, if the PAF didn't opt for JF-17 Thunder?

Mirage 2000?

@TaimiKhan @blain2 @fatman17

My guess is PAF would have gone for some mirage 2ks available at that time from some gulf countries and bought/ordered atleast 100 J-10s on soft loan from China.

Now coming to think about it, what if PAF didn't opt for JF-17 Thunder? New F-16s or even an upgrade on the original 32 F-16s were no where in sight.

Really glad how it played out and how effective JF-17 Thunder has been so far not just helping Pakistan Air Force cover the technology gap but maintenance too, looking at the current situation of the economy.

Mirage 2000?

Why to waste time on something which never happened...

Mirage 2000?

M2Ks or rafales

J-10, no other options in sight if you want to get rid off American systems.

Gripen, T-50 etc all have American systems on board. OR more Mirages, either III & M2k .

The Gripen or second hand F-16s.

J-10: Different class of aircraft
Rafale: lol
M2K: lol, even if the Gulf countries were allowed by France to resell their aircraft, it would need MRO facilities, training etc which they wouldn't be providing. (hint Indian MMRCA)
Mirage3: Production line closed

All in all, the JF-17 was a great choice for the PAF, it provides it with capabilities it hasn't had before (indigenous production) while remaining cheap enough for their budget. While it's not going to be fulfilling any strike roles against MKIs, Rafales, FGFAs, PAK FAs, MiG29UPG, 21Bis, LCAs MkI/MkII or M2009s, it'll free up the F-16s and J-10s from having to fulfill point defense roles.

as matter of interest does anyone know the per hour and running costs of the jf-17 compared to gripen, f16 and MK2/5. I have heard maintaining Chinese jets is expensive requiring more replacements of parts because the components are not as well built and hence fail quicker. Any information would be gratefully received.

finding more mirage iii and v
ex j-7 from plaaf
and possibly import mirage 2000 mk5 from uae

as matter of interest does anyone know the per hour and running costs of the jf-17 compared to gripen, f16 and MK2/5. I have heard maintaining Chinese jets is expensive requiring more replacements of parts because the components are not as well built and hence fail quicker. Any information would be gratefully received.
1/3rd the cost of f-16 maintenance.

why is that for now??:undecided:

is there something you want to share with everyone or something else is brewing??

I think this thread is not just about whims & fancies of yours , there must be something in your mind .

CHEERS

1/3rd the cost of f-16 maintenance.

Really 1/3 less than the cost of F16s, why is that? surely the JF-17s are much more fragile machines and need servicing./ repairing more often, for eg the RD-93 has an engine life of 2000 hours compared to almost double that for western jets, or have we taken on our western jets experience and have incorporated the same qualit of parts and thus the repairs - maintenance would not be the same level as for say a MIG-29.

Moar F-16's.

Or maybe J-10's.

It wouldn't have made Pakistan more self-sufficient if it were not for the JF-17.

why is that for now??:undecided:

is there something you want to share with everyone or something else is brewing??

I think this thread is not just about whims & fancies of yours , there must be something in your mind .

CHEERS

I don't know.

Just because some Indians are questioning the Rafale deal, does that mean something is brewing in India? o_O
My problem with Rafale, lets start with Radar

Back
Top Bottom