What's new

Which Book are you reading

This book just came out-----

" I AM PIGRIM" by TERRY HAYES

I thought Robert Ludlum had come back from the dead---

A Hero of Our Time was the last book I read, and is a great book one of the greatest in Russian literature. A great look into the mind of people, one of my favorites.

Finished Shiva trilogy so fast!

Now started Drawn Brown's latest Inferno

Dracula - Bram Stoker. I'm liking it so far, but it isn't terrifying like I thought it would be.

Dracula - Bram Stoker. I'm liking it so far, but it isn't terrifying like I thought it would be.
It is not scary but paints such a wonderful picture and is a great narrative. If you are going for scary you will not be that pleased.

A Hero of Our Time was the last book I read, and is a great book one of the greatest in Russian literature. A great look into the mind of people, one of my favorites.

Hi,

If it was about the past----let us say in the last 5 to 10 years----then the Russians have changed a lot----they are not the same Russians of the old.

If it was about the past----let us say in the last 5 to 10 years----then the Russians have changed a lot----they are not the same Russians of the old.
I meant of people in general sir and it is a classic i think around the mid 1800s so yes more then 10 years old :P

The Middle East: a brief history of the last 2000 years by the world renowned historian Bernard Lewis.
In a sweeping and vivid survey, renowned historian Bernard Lewis charts the history of the Middle East over the last 2,000 years, from the birth of Christianity through the modern era, focusing on the successive transformations that have shaped it. Elegantly sritten, scholarly yet accessible, The Middle East is the most comprehensive single volume history of the region ever written from the world's foremost authority on the Middle East.

I read Songs of fire and ice series (Game of thrones) a few days back. I read the first two parts a long time ago so went through them again. Summary would be full of spoilers (for those who watch GoT on TV) so I won't indulge in that. Some generic criticism without spoilers:

The first book was the best one, it has gone down hill from there onward. I couldn't care less for the events taking place in free cities, the pace is very slow and lacks coherence. The tightly build narrative in the first two books is severely lacking in the recent books, the wars/ tussles don't make much sense in how they play out (my biggest beef). In the first two books I had a fair idea about the strength of different factions and political landscape, the events narrated made sense. Now there is too much incoherence, too many characters (I am sure half of the new characters are simply fillers to drag the story onward) and

The bastard of Bolton lacks any depth and seems to be there just for shock value. He is simply misplaced in the narrative of north established in first books (one example of incoherence). Events surrounding Stannis, Daenerys even Cersei go against the established cannon.

Still as an epic fantasy saga, it is miles ahead of other books. Far better then Wheels of Time (another epic fantasy Saga) where braid tugging bytches reigned supreme :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom