What's new

Who was the Greatest Emperor in South Asian History?

Who was the Greatest emperor in South Asia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
His greatest contribution was the grand trunk road, anything else.

His reign was brief and so he cant be the "greatest emperor", but nevertheless he did make some important administrative decisions e.g. by standardizing the currency and making a rupee = the weight of 178 grains, whereas in the past, a rupee was any silver coin no matter the weight. Its a shame his successors were so incompetent, and that the dynasty died away so fast, meaning Sher Shah is rarely remembered today.

bharata was an ancient ruler,from the time of mahabharata.we have not considerd ancient rulers in this poll.or else it would have had numerous more names such as lord rama,krishna yudhishtira etc.
and ya,about the mata-pita thing.i think we have a dual use of that word.when we say bharat only we refer it to the king and our country.but we also use bharat mata to refer to our country and a goddess bharat mata(different from bharata).

chandragupta maurya

That still doesn't explain the fact that Bharat is a man's name! (I have never heard of a female Bharat, as far as I am aware anyways)

Ahh, so Bharati, with i at the end is a girl's name?

People should say Bharati then, not Bharat mata, it's confusing & weird!

bharat had a wife whom you can call as bharati...offsprings of bharat and bharati are called bhartiya.......its all in the family.....:tongue:

Bhaarat derived from the king's name Bharat. You should know the difference in the pronunciation.

Asoka,why is this even a contest.Asoka is considered among the greatest emperors of all human history along with augustus,charlemagne,suleiman,cyrus.
A conqueror will never be the equal of an emperor who raised the living standard of the common people.Many of the above were conqueror's but they all did good for the common man.

turkik not turkish..

He's timurid actually.That is central asian.Modern day say uzbek.

Chandragupta maurya is more or less equivalent to samudragupta.A out and out conqueror,so based on that alone he can't be greatest.He also imposed heavy taxation to maintain his enormous mauryan army and was extremely paranoid.Never slept on the same bed twice,had a massive espionage system,had a bodyguard of female amazons because he didn't trust men,had all his food tasted.But he also did much good such as political unity and repulsing foreign greek invasion,also liberated punjab from greeks.And he went out like a true badass,basically giving up ultimate power voluntarily.converting to jainism at the ripe age of 45 and ******* starving himself to death.But still asoka for me.

An Emperor whos not even on the list. Alaudin Khilji. He saved the subcontinent from the Mongol menace several times whilst Persia, Central Asia And Iraq fell. These regions were devastated to put it mildly by the Mongols. The subcontinent did not suffer the same fate but rather grew and prospered during this period.

Religious bigots are almost directly excluded from 'greatest ' title because a truly great emperor looks upon the well being of all his subjects equally .Besides he may have saved the subcontinent from mongol devastation ,but made up with devastation caused by himself.He despite being extremely capable was arrogant to the point of being delusional.He was so overwhelmed by his own success that he proclaimed himself 'sikander i sani' or the second alexander and dreamt of conquering the world,also he even thought of starting a new religion with himself as divine head!

I always detest when I see "Great" and "Emperor" in the same sentence, However, I was wondering why Harsha Verdhana was not on the list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom