What's new

Why clean India will never work.

I haven't been to India - I hear the stories from co-workers who have been there (for work, not primarily as tourists). A story or two about touristy things, but hours of stories about nastiness, filth, smells, and beggars. One of my co-workers apparently had beggars putting their hands in his pockets! Another co-worker was giving something (money?) to poor kids, and one of our Indian co-workers got angry with him, for encouraging that behavior. Like, really mad. Mostly, the Indian colleagues coach everyone before going out to studiously ignore the beggars, not to eat food or drink that has not been vetted, etc.

Everyone comes back saying you can't believe the poverty till you see it. Again, no personal experience, just stories.

On the upside, the Indian office is very diligent about ensuring that visitors get attention, and get shown around Mumbai, everything worth seeing that there is time for. We are not nearly as good at entertaining them when they visit. :-(

Oh, and the traffic! None of our engineers drives while visiting India - they are universally provided drivers as needed. Very alien for Americans, where you drive yourself around. Having a driver would be ludicrously expensive in the US, well outside the means of engineers. Also, its culturally very popular to drive in the US, so that is just a very different thing, apparently.

I hope this is sarcasm. Being the trod upon is always harder than doing the treading.
Its reality. I have suffered alot because of this.

A toilet built 2,000 years ago found in China Shangqiu City, Henan Province in Mount Dangshan tomb , is the world's first sit flush toilets.

because our public never think abut modi before throw garbage next day specially in villages rural towns and small cities . no one give a single Fc

I haven't been to India - I hear the stories from co-workers who have been there (for work, not primarily as tourists). A story or two about touristy things, but hours of stories about nastiness, filth, smells, and beggars. One of my co-workers apparently had beggars putting their hands in his pockets! Another co-worker was giving something (money?) to poor kids, and one of our Indian co-workers got angry with him, for encouraging that behavior. Like, really mad. Mostly, the Indian colleagues coach everyone before going out to studiously ignore the beggars, not to eat food or drink that has not been vetted, etc.

Everyone comes back saying you can't believe the poverty till you see it. Again, no personal experience, just stories.

On the upside, the Indian office is very diligent about ensuring that visitors get attention, and get shown around Mumbai, everything worth seeing that there is time for. We are not nearly as good at entertaining them when they visit. :-(

Oh, and the traffic! None of our engineers drives while visiting India - they are universally provided drivers as needed. Very alien for Americans, where you drive yourself around. Having a driver would be ludicrously expensive in the US, well outside the means of engineers. Also, its culturally very popular to drive in the US, so that is just a very different thing, apparently.
The sentence you quoted was not written by me. I don't know how or why you misattributed it to me. Please edit the name in the quote. It was written by a poster with screen name "bitter truth" in post #40.

because our public never think abut modi before throw garbage next day specially in villages rural towns and small cities . no one give a single Fc
I am also cynical about whether a govt can change mindset of people (reducing corruption, inproving cleanliness, better traffic sense etc) but at least it is being talked about at the highest level of govt.

What govt can do is start a massive media campaign backed by bollywood, babas and mullas (although I hate all of them) and get the cities cleaned first.
Once you see your city clean with dustbins near most places, you wont chuck garbage on road. The punitive action (fine, jail etc) should come after all these.
I like the way polio campaign was done, they can do something similar.

The punitive action (fine, jail etc) should come after all these.
I like the way polio campaign was done, they can do something similar.
That is what has to be done now. This thing has been trading in the medial for past 1week with actors promoting the drive. But it has to come with a combination of heavy fine if someone throws rubbish in a public place. Because the once who often do this would take this drive with a pinch of salt untill they are made to pay heavy fines for what they do. Implementation is another important factor,it will take a long time for things to fall in place,i guess.

By using the term South Asia you're generalizing.. There are countries in the region with world class sanitary conditions and civic sense. So be more specific
Its true that Peninsular India like Maharashtra and south India and Sri Lanka are quite clean.
Problems like bad hygiene and lack of adequate sanitation facilities mostly exist in northern India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. So you could say that this is a problem of northern South Asia.

The sentence you quoted was not written by me. I don't know how or why you misattributed it to me. Please edit the name in the quote. It was written by a poster with screen name "bitter truth" in post #40.
Sorry to confuse you.

I replied to two different posts. Because I did so fairly quickly, defense.pk turned this into one reply. Your quote was asking about what tourists would say when then went home after a visit to India. @Biplab Bijay had made the comment about high caste being trouble for him, which was disturbing to me. He replied later with something to the effect "its true, it has caused me problems". I would like to understand how being privileged is a problem, as this seems to be more a problem for the people who have to be "beneath" him due to "inferior" birth.

The quote box does have Biplap's name on it, identifying that sentence as his.

Sorry to confuse you.

I replied to two different posts. Because I did so fairly quickly, defense.pk turned this into one reply. Your quote was asking about what tourists would say when then went home after a visit to India. @Biplab Bijay had made the comment about high caste being trouble for him, which was disturbing to me. He replied later with something to the effect "its true, it has caused me problems". I would like to understand how being privileged is a problem, as this seems to be more a problem for the people who have to be "beneath" him due to "inferior" birth.

No, it was not me who asked what tourists would say. It was @bitter_truth. Neither of the posts you responded to were mine.

The problem is with people like you who think that these initiatives WON'T WORK

This statement is absolutely correct, not just for 'Clean India' thing but for anything else in the world. As human, all we can do is strive and we shouldn't give up no matter the odds against us. I have no love lost for India but believe me as a human, if India manages to clean itself, that itself will inspire a lot of other nations who have the mindset that 'nothing will happen'.

My apologies. I am not certain how that happened, but it was not intentional.
I had to point it out because I wouldn't have asked such a question, and I feel that that is a wrong question to ask. The country should be cleaned for the sake of the people who live in it, and not simply to make a better impression on visitors. What others would think should be the last reason for promoting hygene and cleanliness. There are much more important reasons to do it.

Do what the Chinese do. Public awareness and spend money on this shite! where theres money, there is success!

Sorry to confuse you.

Hi castes are not privileged in India. If you are a low caste, then your qualifying marks will be decrease in competitive exams. You will get quota in jobs, promotion, increment etc. I am one of the sufferers of this.

Do not complain about not working,Clean environment can solve the employment.And caste unrelated.Even if the government does not payCan also create their own.Perhaps less attractive,Who cares about aesthetics or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom