What's new

Why go for cobras, why not ground attack aircraft?

Deadly against tanks no doubt, why waste "expensive" depleted uranium bullets against simple targets?

read more about the concept of strafing. it is not restricted to one target.
Strafing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

strafing takes out a whole convey and multiple targets in holed up anywhere. its not a waste of bullets if they are taking out multiple targets.
taking out multiple targets in reinforced positions or vehicles is no waste.

never heard of an aircraft shot down at 1500 ft with a ak47 bullet

I think the terrorists have weapons of much higher caliber too. Any target that needs an air strike is probably going to be probably protected by such weapons.

By the way 7.62 round can reach height of 7000 ft

I think the terrorists have weapons of much higher caliber too. Any target that needs an air attack is probably going to be probably protracted by such weapons.

By the way 7.62 round can reach height of 7000 ft

I think protection is something added to every combat aircraft (Old/New doesn't matter). A-10s, apaches etc can afford 20mm hits. what raises costs is jet engines, high tech avionics and guidance systems, which are necessary against an advanced enemy but in this case it won't be necessary.

.... A-10s, apaches etc can afford 20mm hits....

The crew compartment yes but not the whole aircraft

Forget 20mm did you know a 12.77mm (50 Cal) machine gun can make Swiss cheese out of an armored vehicle at close range

The crew compartment yes but not the whole aircraft

Forget 20mm did you know a 12.77mm (50 Cal) machine gun can make Swiss cheese out of an armored vehicle at close range

Aircraft alone can never guarantee success. its combined with tactics. Firing your guns while diving at 90 degree will destroy anyone in direct LOC. Secondly today's armor can withstand 20mm bro, atleast in the case of gunships. And last, i think attack choppers fly at much low altitude so they are much more vulnerable.

The funding source is also different those cobra's belong to the army, not the air force.

Yes A-10s were offered but all they could do, is to fire mavericks and perform bombing runs. The same problem of inaccurate fire. On the other hand the planes like stukas delivered the firepower coupled with psychological effect. They could be of great use in counter insurgency campaigns. using an airplane with operating costs of $10,000 seems rather confusing. .the least I can say :)

Imagine Dude!, It'd be Damn cool if PAF had them in their inventory rumour also state that Cobras will be cleared out leaving behind a few, and Vipers will be everywhere. :) :pakistan::woot: :tup:

Free ka khane ki adat per gai hai , don't like to pay for anything thats that problem behind Cobra insistence

5815_homeless_beggar_man_sitting_on_the_ground_asking_for_money.jpg

k boss we won't buy from Russia 100 copters and wait for donation cobras 6 used helos that will arrive over 10 years

A-37 Dragonfly would be a good option for coin ops if we can get them from the US for the WOT.

Well the problem about today's COIN strategies is that armies use multi million probably billion dollar solutions on problem which are themselves worth a few dollars. Imagine using eurofighter for an airstrike against insurgents whose flying cost per hour is in thousands of euros. High tech Weaponry should be used in high tech conflicts. thats why advocating the idea to resurrect the old stuka plane for precision attacks, as there is no airforce, sam missiles defending against them.

Also the insurgents use terror as their strategy. All of us know that stukas broke the moral of french armies at Sedan in 1940 with their screaming dives. So In my opinion the old plane is definitely not worth fighting in conflicts against india but would definitely stand up to its reputation in COIN ops like FATA.

Although it would have been great if have gone for JV with Chinese in three types of Helicopters Bell-407, bell-412 and Mi-17 class helicopter with our own design and manufacturing and with technology like composites and counter rotating rotors along with an attack one like the Apache with omposites and counter rotating rotors. Then it will not only safe money but also generate minds, labour and exports as well....

cost and combat helicopters are better can perform close attack :butcher:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom