What's new

Why is Iran meddling in the mideast?

Parthian when the name changes to Persia can we be part of it ?
Are you trolling? If not, then ya, you can join our nation If youre willing to convert to ethnic Persians. But I dont know why you would want to? You have your own country, resources and land. When people usually unite they do so either for economic reasons or ethnicity. Iraq is majority arab and has its own resources, have no idea about your Persian minorities in Iraq though.

Irans economy would be booming without sanctions :

Keep in mind that sanctions were placed on Irans economy due to the actions of the regime, whether I agree with the sanctions or not, which I dont. Even though I dont trust america nor any world power, including russia or china, I still believe that the sanctions are because of the regimes stupidity.

Interesting read.

The Iranian economy manages to hobble along despite “crippling” economic sanctions. The streets are clogged with traffic, ATMs dispense streams of cash, banks issue Iran-only debit cards, and a nation of traders finds ingenious ways to evade legal obstacles.

Oil exports may have collapsed officially, but several Iranians tell me that many thousands of barrels are leaking out secretly via Iraq. One Iranian businessman explains that you can get under-the-table financing for almost anything if you pay an interest-rate premium of 12 to 15 percentage points.

The true burden of sanctions is that the Iranian economy is a shadow of what it might be. This cost in lost opportunity will only grow if Iran can’t make a nuclear deal that would ease the squeeze on oil sales and banking. And Iranians know it: Many told me during a visit here last week that their economy could be booming if the country wasn’t so isolated.

“The situation from the economic point of view is very bad, this is no secret,” says Saeed Laylaz, an economic commentator and analyst who advises Iran’s domestic automobile industry. Car production has plummeted the last two years, he says, after rising from 6,000 vehicles annually when he started in 1989 to 1.5 million in 2011.

Mohammad Khoshchehreh, an economics professor at Tehran University, told me that economic output overall has fallen by about 6 percent over the past year. That’s close to the estimate of a 5.7 percent drop released Thursday by the Institute of International Finance in Washington.

The middle class is especially squeezed. An apartment for a family of four in central Tehran costs at least $500 a month. Feeding the family adds another $700. So that’s $1,200 a month – more than many jobs pay – before the family even begins paying for incidentals. Typically, both husband and wife must work, often at two jobs, to pay the bills.

Frustration about poor economic performance seems to center on hard-liners such as former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his allies in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps. Several people mentioned to me that during Ahmadinejad’s eight years as president, the Iranian government received about $700 billion from oil sales. Where did that money go? A half-dozen people said they thought much of it had been diverted to the Revolutionary Guard or looted by regime cronies.

“I do not deny the effect of sanctions, but the weight of mismanagement is heavier,” says Khoshchehreh. Some in Iran argue that the current crisis is past, and that officials of the Ahmadinejad regime should be brought to trial for corruption.

President Hassan Rouhani gets good marks for economic management, in addition to his opening to the West in the nuclear negotiations. Since his election in June, inflation is down, private investment is up, and the currency has strengthened on the black market, according to Laylaz.

Iranians foresee a future boom if sanctions are lifted and the nation fully joins the global economy. Four economic analysts separately told me they could see growth at 10 percent or more after 2015, if Rouhani can deliver a deal with the West. That’s the real leverage – not to punish Iran today but to open the door to a much more prosperous future.

Talks with Iranian entrepreneurs give a sense of what’s possible. A professor of molecular biology has developed advanced techniques for treating neurodegenerative diseases that Western companies are eager to license. He’d rather stay in Iran, but it’s hard to build an advanced biotech company there when the country remains outside the World Trade Organization and intellectual property can’t be protected.

An Iranian banker explains that he’s ready to represent 19 U.S. companies in joint ventures in Iran. But such deals are dead until sanctions are lifted. An Iranian-American executive tells me he could sell Iran advanced systems that could add billion of barrels to oil reserves by re-evaluating old seismic and geological data.

It’s a mistake to underestimate the tensile strength of Iran’s economy. This is a country that survived eight years of bloody war with Iraq, and Iranians know how to suffer through adversity. Rouhani’s economic team is planning its next budget on the assumption that sanctions won’t be lifted, and that it can raise non-oil exports – iron ore, copper, petrochemicals and electricity – to an $80 billion level that would cover Iran’s import needs. They’ll survive, in other words.

What’s being crippled is Iran’s future. This makes Iranians angry, especially when they see the hard-liners and their cronies making money evading the sanctions regime. That’s the regime’s weak point.

David Ignatius is published twice weekly by THE DAILY STAR.

Read more: Without sanctions, Iran’s economy would be booming | Opinion , Columnist | THE DAILY STAR
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: Breaking News, Lebanon News, Middle East News & World News | THE DAILY STAR

telugoseriouspost: 5086718 said:
Whats the point of doing bussiness with everyone when the economy is not growing...
Are you being serious right now? Ofcource your economy is gonna grow if you do more business and have more opportunities. Irans economy right now under sanctions is struggling but still doing alright now imagine if the sanctions were liftedand we could start doing projects with the west. Its simple really.

remember, we were minding our own business we had the first democracy in the ME but..., if today we do the same thing you think they are going to leave us alone.

Last edited:
remember, we were minding our own business we had the first democracy in the ME but..., if today we do the same thing you think they are going to leave us alone.

The Middle East is Iranians home, and Iranians have the right to participate in the region more than anyone else, and they have to do so to guarantee their interests.
But, the problem is not having an active policy in the Middle East, The problem is the stupid foreign and regional policy of mullahs which consists of being enemy with our natural allies,(Israel, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Central Asian countries) and helping our true enemies(Palestinians, Secular arab nationalists like Bashar Assad or A$$head as arabs say, ...). Being enemy with the most powerful and important country of the world (USA) and her allies(Europeans), and being friend with the most un-trustable countries of the world(Russia, China), and oppressing Iranian people.
That's exactly the most possible stupid policy for our country.

Last edited:
The Middle East is Iranians home, and Iranians have the right to participate in the region more than anyone else, and they have to do so to guarantee their interests.
But, the problem is not having an active policy in the Middle East, The problem is the stupid foreign and regional policy of mullahs which consists of being enemy with our natural allies,(Israel, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Central Asian countries) and helping our true enemies(Palestinians, Secular arab nationalists like Bashar Assad or A$$head as arabs say, ...). Being enemy with the most powerful and important country of the world (USA) and her allies(Europeans), and being friend with the most un-trustable countries of the world(Russia, China), and oppressing Iranian people.
Iran should only interfere if its going to benefit us economically, meaning more money. Otherwise shut the borders and dont care about arab or israeli affairs that have nothing to do with us.

As a nationalist and secularist, I hope assad wins against the salafists, but I dont think we should spend our money on a foreign country.

Azerbeyjan will never be an ally of Iran due to their panturkic government and honestly we do not need them. We can do business with them, but thats the farthest we should go with them. Ido not trust those people.

Mullahs want to prove that they are more Arabs then Arabs themselves.

I prefer not to get involved in this thread as it will end in trolls , but 1 thing is clear , Even if mullahs get wiped and we mind our own business , the western super powers will not leave the country alone as they've always been dreaming for our wealth and that will be the time another pahlavi puppet government or something like what we see in Arabian / Muslim countries will come to power . So instead of dreaming face the fact that we can never be in the same side with the super powers that have always betrayed us .

We shouldn't spend so much money on Palestinians ,but Azerbaijan is not our natural ally and will never be our friend, Americans has fukced us over and over again and the picture of great man in your avatar is a testament of it.

Iran should only interfere if its going to benefit us economically, meaning more money. Otherwise shut the borders and dont care about arab or israeli affairs that have nothing to do with us.

As a nationalist and secularist, I hope assad wins against the salafists, but I dont think we should spend our money on a foreign country.

Azerbeyjan will never be an ally of Iran due to their panturkic government and honestly we do not need them. We can do business with them, but thats the farthest we should go with them. Ido not trust those people.

A$$head is a nationalist ba'thist Arab like Saddam Hussein, the best scenario for our people would be continuing this war up to a point that all of our enemies, Nationalist Arabs(A$$head), Fanatic Islamists(AQ, ISIS, Hamas, HizbAllah) terrorists, mullahs, and Nationalist kurds(PYD, PKK) destroy each other. From political point of view, not moralistic, it is the best option for us.
Just a hint about "Those people" as you mentioned, they consist 1/4 of Iran's population and half of capital population.

We shouldn't spend so much money on Palestinians ,but Azerbaijan is not our natural ally and will never be our friend, Americans has fukced us over and over again and the picture of great man in your avatar is a testament of it.

This. I don't think Iran even has a natural ally in the Middle East. Perhaps with the Shia population in Lebanon being the only exception. If you look at Iran's history, we never had or needed an ally.

I prefer not to get involved in this thread as it will end in trolls , but 1 thing is clear , Even if mullahs get wiped and we mind our own business , the western super powers will not leave the country alone as they've always been dreaming for our wealth and that will be the time another pahlavi puppet government or something like what we see in Arabian / Muslim countries will come to power . So instead of dreaming face the fact that we can never be in the same side with the super powers that have always betrayed us .
We need to leave this xenophobic attitude alone. Whenever we had good, sane, and educated politicians, we were successful in our relations with super powers. Like the Azerbaijan issue after WW2 in which we used American card and kicked out Russians, without even firing a single bullet. Having a healthy relation with west is not meant to be a puppet. The world has changed, we are no longer in 19th century. But it seems that our common sense has remained in that era, even for our educated people.:disagree:

Highly doubt you were as Isolated or sanctioned as Iran. Now you are doing business with everyone and improving your country. Theres no point in isolating yourself.

You are right dude...Just think about your nation.....I feel that Iran in its quest to become a middle east power , is somehow loosing the track...If you see the smart diplomatic statergy of Gulf nations, they are really smart enough to milk the best of resources of the West and other developing nation of the world...where as Iran is lagging in this aspect....And what did you get out of it?.....Even Gulf and Arab people are as good muslim as Iran people are too...So why you guys only take the blow of securing Muslim interests when it is hurting you more than the others...Think about it...And on top of that those Muslim nations who are praising Iran for fighting with US are simply firing bullet to the West from Iran shoulder of Iran...where as they themselves do business as usual with the West....

Last edited:
This. I don't think Iran even has a natural ally in the Middle East. Perhaps with the Shia population in Lebanon being the only exception. If you look at Iran's history, we never had or needed an ally.

But dude...here is the shortsightedness of your statergy...Why do your nation always think that you will have naturall ally where only Shia people are there? Why do not you make naturall ally based on the statergy where your national interests are served by another country?.....They might be Muslim or non muslim nation too?

Back
Top Bottom