What's new

Why is Pakistan lagging behind in SAM and ABM technology?

Xtremeownage

Reaction score
It seems like Pakistan is lagging behind in Surface-to-air missile technology, and we have yet to procure any Anti-Ballistic missile system!

Shouldn't we focus on advancing in such technologies?

The necessity for such systems is dire, as the nafarious elements in the region continue to up the ante in missile technology and defence. :azn:

Last edited:
Don't worry, something is being done behind the scenes, hope so in future we will read good news about it, or may be not as it may be kept secret as much as possible. :)
hi
im not sure about anti ballistic missile but seems higly unlikely that Pakistan is hiding long range SAMS, but this seriously is a field where Pakistani policy makers need to focus their attention too, since Pakistani strategy is primarily defensive so, what good is a defensive strategy when they got no potent long range SAM, they are only hell bent on drones, fighter jets, tanks, ballistic missiles. but no defensive weapons, for a defensive strategy that's pretty lame

Please do not mind.

There are many things in which PK is (also we) lagging behind e.g. education. So why you guys always think seriously about defence. Although I understand that PK has to face more difficult challenges but all I want to say that PK should consider their other lacking and problems as seriously as they consider in case of defence.

Troll, get a life. Don't try and change the topic!

Bangladesh has one of the worst literacy rates in the world, far worse than Pakistan.

Our defence is only 3% of our GDP! Personally I think we should invest more in defence.

Before Zardari we were the third fastest growing economy in Asia! And even still, our economy is growing tremendously!

We fought against poverty and in 2009 our poverty level decreased to only 17%! We are in no way lagging behind, although there is room for improvement, as the case with all developing nations, we are still doing great!

We are doing much better than you, so keep your nonsense at bay, and stick to the topic if you want to discuss at all!

@ Guy below me:

Pakistani members keep surprising me. In other threads they never get tired of stating that Pakistan is way ahead of India in "Missile Tech", but in this thread there seems to be a virtual admission of the exact opposite.

Stick to the topic or don't post at all!

Pakistan is far ahead of India in ballistic missile technology, cruise missile technology as well as nuclear technology and missiles!

As far as Missile-defence, we are lacking, and you Indians are lacking as well, because the SAM's/ABM's of the Indian army are not adequate enough to counter Pakistan's nukes!

The days of proliferation are over. China and North Korea have helped Pakistan in the past with Nuke and Missile Tech, such double dealing is not possibe now, especially after the AQ Khan fiasco.

Plus, Chinese technology in both these spheres leaves much to be desired. The best SAM that the Chinese have is the HQ-9, which itself is a clone of the S-300 system procured from Russia. As for ABM tech the Chinese are still very much in the design and development phase. Where as India plans to have the first stage of the ABM programme deployed by 2016. China has also not conducted as many tests as India has in this field.

Absolutely ridiculous! It was the hard work of Pakistani engineers and scientists that made Pakistan's nukes possible!

India's perpetual aid from Russia proves that India is reliant on that nation! India's ABM program is lacking and is in no way enough to counter Pakistan's superior ballistic missile technology!

Last edited:
Please do not mind.

There are many things in which PK is (also we) lagging behind e.g. education. So why you guys always think seriously about defence. Although I understand that PK has to face more difficult challenges but all I want to say that PK should consider their other lacking and problems as seriously as they consider in case of defence.
Even though I agree in full with what you have said (hence thanked), you see more such posts on this forum because this is primarily a defense related forum.

It seems like Pakistan is lagging behind in Surface-to-air missile technology, and we have yet to procure any Anti-Ballistic missile system!

The necessity for such systems is dire, as the nafarious elements in the region continue to up the ante in missile technology and defence. :azn:

Pakistani members keep surprising me. In other threads they never get tired of stating that Pakistan is way ahead of India in "Missile Tech", but in this thread there seems to be a virtual admission of the exact opposite.

Please do not mind.

boss tell me 1 thing that if our country will not be there then who will get education n from whom?:disagree:

Because these are the two fields which require the max R&D and are very costly. Pak's missile program is more ballistic missile oriented. They are good at ballistic missiles but not at other missiles.

They can buy these systems from China, but antiballistic missile defences are new and not inducted as of yet.

SAMs are very expensive again. For PAF which is seriously short on aircraft, replacing their aircraft is a priority. 80% of PAF planes are old now and need replacement in tis decade. They are now putting money into newer planes like JF-17 and J10 and F16. So they are doing a good job and can't expect a miracle from them either.

I am content with their job.

pak can procure what ever it needs from china to keep india on it toes .
india commited grave mistake in past by illegaly occuping china's land & also by helping the offender Lama & there terror suporters & later forced to eat its own word to wards tibet

india commited grave mistake in past by illegaly occuping china's land & also by helping the offender Lama & there terror suporters & later forced to eat its own word to wards tibet

You are wrong. There is no Chinese territory occupied by India. Check your facts from Internet before accusing us. Also Dalai Lama is a religious guy asking for rights of Tibetan not asking to separate it from China. So he's no offender.

The days of proliferation are over. China and North Korea have helped Pakistan in the past with Nuke and Missile Tech, such double dealing is not possibe now, especially after the AQ Khan fiasco.

Plus, Chinese technology in both these spheres leaves much to be desired. The best SAM that the Chinese have is the HQ-9, which itself is a clone of the S-300 system procured from Russia. As for ABM tech the Chinese are still very much in the design and development phase. Where as India plans to have the first stage of the ABM programme deployed by 2016. China has also not conducted as many tests as India has in this field.

as the nafarious elements in the region continue to up the ante in missile technology and defence.

I guess the 'nefarious' elements have the money, techo and political will to 'up the ante' here. I guess political will is not an issue in pakistan. Funding could be an issue here as immediate priorities of pakistan needs to catered first with full resources at pakistans disposal. Funding millitary projects is not feasible as of now. Regarding the technology,, I guess even the chinese themselves are not much versed with the technology of ABM now, so lets wait for china to master this technology and then it could be clandestinely transferred to paksitan as evident in case of other pakistani missiles and nukes.

All in all, having ABM capabilities is possible for pakistan but not too soon.

hi
im not sure about anti ballistic missile but seems higly unlikely that Pakistan is hiding long range SAMS, but this seriously is a field where Pakistani policy makers need to focus their attention too, since Pakistani strategy is primarily defensive so, what good is a defensive strategy when they got no potent long range SAM, they are only hell bent on drones, fighter jets, tanks, ballistic missiles. but no defensive weapons, for a defensive strategy that's pretty lame

Isn't Pakistan's policy based on offensive defence? I mean the retaliation capacity?

My guess is that Pakistan has limited capacity (money) to make missiles compared to India. It can build either large no of missiles to overwhelm probable Indian defences (I believe it already has more than sufficient!! ) Or could also spent a little on SAMs, which I believe will neither be sufficient in numbers nor efficiency. None of the SAMs are efficient. So why spent on something which may not be bang for buck??!! The cruise and ballistic missiles are sufficient to deter any possible attack.

I have also wondered this question for quite sometime.

And i have come to the conclusion that PAF doesn't believe in SAMs.

I mean PAF preffers fighters to defend air Space rather than SAMs.

This is the only explanation that can be derived from the lack of PAF enthusiasm for SAMs.

Very valid concern, since to develop and design effective SAM systems need effective integration of various infrastructure and technologies which will form the basis of airspace control. Pakistan is surely lagging behind in this since it does lacking a kind of a industry which will fulfill such a demanding needs of airspace control. Radar technology is the heart of any effective SAM system, so unless we don't see the same till then I don't think we will get to see system like SAM.

Back
Top Bottom