What's new

Why Musharraf Is a Safer Bet for Pakistan

Araz,

Opinion786 has already summed up the achievements made during Musharraf's 8 magnificent years and it wouldn't be fair to credit 9/11 for all progress we've made.

9/11 happened and we've certainlly gained a lot eversince and we can't go around the fact that 1998 sanctions would have taken us to the abyss.

But who pulled us out of this misery well before 9/11?

Didn't Musharraf appoint the best man for the job, Shaukat Aziz. Didn't he recover billions that were granted during 11 years of Bibi and Ganjju's Looting Extravaganza? Didn't he pass the bill to curb endless attracting of foreign loans my ministers without parliamentray approval?

Like the above member said we were already on our way to recovery, 9/11 only shaped things up for our benefit.

The stats don't lie:
In that SHORT span of 2 years BEFORE 9/11, Pakistan’s revenue increased from Rs.308 billion to become Rs.395 billion. Exports increased from $7.5 billion to become $9.2 billion. Foreign Reserves increased from $1 billion to become $3.25 billion. Debt servicing as a ratio to Revenue decreased from 65% to 57%. Public and external debt as a percentage to Foreign exchange earnings declined from 300% to 250%. Current account deficit decreased from $2.4 billion to become $510 million. And, Pakistan’s large-scale manufacturing grew by 11% in June 2001 against 3.5% in 1998.

I too wish that he should not have allowed BB or NS to set foot in the country ever again but he had no choice, denying these crooks would have led to more turmoil in the country.

Its not his fault that same faces that have looted the country for years are back in power, its the fault of our own people, the comon man who's elected them! PPP is in power due sympathy of the masses, not due to her political agenda.

I'm as much a patriot and a wellwisher of Pakistan as you are but if this is the face of true democracy I wish we stay under a military rule forever with people like Musharraf.

Some day we'll realise that he was a blessing not a curse...

I would argue that even his missteps have a silver lining.

The independence of the judiciary and the media has now been proclaimed by all and sundry across the political spectrum, and will hopefully set a tradition of the judiciary bucking executive pressure.

The media, for all its faults, refused to stop fighting for its rights, as did civil society. They took on a "all powerful dictator and won", or at least that is how the narrative will be shaped, and from that hopefully will flow further strength to exercise, and fight for, independence.

A strong and independent judiciary and media along with a vibrant and vocal civil society are essential parts of a viable democratic political system, and recent events have served to show us that they are healthy and strong. Lets see if the political parties rise to the occasion and accept this new dynamic in Pakistan.

I will say one thing only.... I know people wont like it ...But its the Truth!

People of Pakistan should Suffer for being Ill Literate, Ignorant and for being Stupid!

May Allah help us!

Musharraf also DESPISES Benazir, Zardari and Nawaz. He knows they are corrupt and immoral.....

But what could anyone do of the 10 million votes that were cast in favor of PPP? And, the 6.6 million that were cast in favor of nawaz?

I'm relieved that atleast PML-Q got ONE MILLION votes MORE than Nawaz's party i.e 7.6 million (PML-Q) ! :victory:

Musharrafs goals are long term like that of Ataturk of Turkey whereas the supposed champions of democracy have short term goals ie. remove Musharraf and fill up their pockets quickly.

opinion 786 and Neo.
Thank you very much for your informative responses. I have to say that I started out by saying that Pakistan has seen progress under Musharraf. Your informative posts have just added to that. However, the point that I have tried to make again and again is not Musharraf specific---- but against all Army Administrators. They create lacunae in the social development of the nation by interrupting the evolution of political process. it is a dejavu situation that Pakistan has gone thriough again and again. Political maturity comes with time and experience. Leaders are not born overnight but with few exceptions are created according to the evolving political situation . It is this process that all military leaders interrupt causing the same old faces to come back. You say that Musharraf had no choice but to ask BB and Nawaz to come back. Isay the choice was there, but he chose not to take it. If you review all the cases that were put up against all the leaders, how many of them were actually proven. Zardari languished in jail for 8-9 yrs, Gilani for 4. Was it incompetance ,or lack of resolve that nothing was ever proven against them. Even the Swiss court case was not persued further. On what grounds? If they can legitimately prove that the money was Pakistan Governents money they should have actively tried to get the money back.
I am also aware of the American Aid issue. I am no financial wizard, but the fact that the aid was accompanied by a debt rescheduling meant that a lot of pressure on debt reservicing went. This was courtesy of 9/11. Secondly Pakistan collected money from American Government as rent for services rendered---close to 8billion $ if I am not mistaken.
If you look at the financial revival , how much of funds were generated by selling off various Government assetts. I dont say that this is a bad thing, as i was never in favour of Govt ownership of these units in the first place. Sure exports have gone up but what diversification have we achieved. We are still harping on about selling garments and bed sheets and linen. Even when Petrol was cheap, we were importing more than we were exporting- and now that fuel prices have gone up we have another problem on our hands.
Investment to date has been on Gwadar, which is really good but most of the money coming in is being spent n the construction sector, which will be short lived.
You relaize that Iam playing the devils advocate here but I need to highlight these facts which bother me and I feel that it is not in individuals but in institutions that development of nations lies. This is where he , like all military dictators has failed miserably, and this is my major gripe with him.
Please feel free to correct any misconceptions that I have as I am always willing to learn and correct myself. But please understand my concerns about dictators and lack of continuity in political development that hampers national development.
WaSalam
Araz

Unlike his military predecessors Musharraf has tried to bring in a system of democracy however, as democracy does what it says on the tin the system has failed by allowing back inept government.

Araz bro,

Our history tells us.... you throw a corrupt in jail for his crime & plunder.... once he gets released from jail.....he emerges as a hero! They proudly claim that they have seen jail! People forget the crimes and the past.... look at Zardari now.... who voted for him..... 10 million were cast in PPP favor!

In 1999, Revenue generation of around Rs.308 billion could not meet the growing expenditure requirements; with only an average of Rs.80 billion being spent on Public sector development programs (PSDP) annually, and no visible project to boast about. From this Rs.308 billion around 65% was being utilized for debt servicing. In 1988 Pakistan’s foreign debt was $18 billion, but at the end of 1999 it had accumulated to become $38 billion. A 100% increased burden on the already crippled economy. Public and external debt exceeded 300% of Foreign exchange earnings. Pakistan had become a highly indebted poor country. Poverty levels also increased to become 35% according to economic survey.

If the army had not taken over.... I dread to think what would have happened..... the World Bank had already informed PAK, that they'll take-over as indirect management of PAK's finances. IMF and World bank policies would have to be implemented 100%..... becuz we were 300% indebted to them.

Regards!

Araz bro,

Our economy worked becuz of the major 'Macro-economic policies' implemented. All aid combined of USA, UK, Japan, etc does not work out more than $1.5 billion ANNUALLY.

As of 2005-06, this amount is 4.5% of total foreign exchange receipts, 7.2% of total budgetary expenditures, 6.4% of total value of Imports, 4% of total Exports and 5.8% of current account receipts of Pakistan. As a proportion of GDP of Pakistan these gross flows from all sources work out to only 3%. Negligible! And, in 2007 these have lowered.

Whereas, pls keep in mind that our economy has boomed from $75 billion in 1999, to become $160 billion in 2007. That's a difference of $ 85 billion ! :pakistan:Their aid combined for last 8 years, adds merely $12 billion.

Sell off all your government/national assets and they don't mount to even half of this! Becuz in 1999 our WHOLE economy was ONLY $75 billion, including our Government assets.

Ask yourself.... how much the Government assets would have been worth, when our whole economy of PAK was ONLY worth $75 billion ????

Now only our Karachi Stock is worth $75 billion ..... EQUAL to PAK's economy of 1999.

Again this is a wrong perception.... that investment has been in Gwadar only....tomorrow I'll paste for you many major projects..... all over Pakistan has seen investment.....

Our Textile exports have increased from $5.5 billion of 1999 into $10.2 billion of 2007. That's 100% improvement.

Musharraf can make policies for export and ease their business rules, but he cannot start exporting himsef..... that's for us to do.

Yes, petrol was $23 per barrel in 1999 and now it's above $100 per barrel.... Musharraf has really worked under strain.... we must give him credit for turning our economy in such difficult times! Our economy boomed by 100%!

About Institution buidling, they'll never work until and unless:
1- Public at large is morally upright,
2- Public acknowledges difference b/w Haram and Halal,
3- Basic facilities of Water, electricity, education, health and infrastructure are equally given to all Pakistanis. Otherwise, they'll keep breaking laws & institutions to avail those basic facilities.

Institutions in foreign countries work becasue majority of their Public/Citizens are morally upright and LAW-abidding!

Where-ever Asians go, they break law and apply every short-cut method to by-pass rules. No wonder all the institutions and law enforcement of USA and UK are helpless over 'illegal immigrants'.

Becausemost of our people are DUMB and stupid they are like animals you stick them they go the way you want them so as i have said big shepperds stick our people and we go their way the way of 8years jailed person God only help pakistan because they will do everything to destroy it

dude i couldnt agree more, i mean i dont know what it is that is keeping our people blind! didnt you see how nawaz sharif looted your country? didnt you see how benazir looted us! didnt you see how the past government ridiculed Islam? dont you know that ANP is the party which alway wanted to split Pakistan? our pakistan... and still you vote for them? still you give your lifes for them?

i dont know when we'll see the day when our nation wakes up, or better stop beings collared animals and being civilized Muslims and Pakistanis!

God Bless Us and Pakistan. Ameen
:pakistan:

Araz,

Opinion786 has already summed up the achievements made during Musharraf's 8 magnificent years and it wouldn't be fair to credit 9/11 for all progress we've made.

9/11 happened and we've certainlly gained a lot eversince and we can't go around the fact that 1998 sanctions would have taken us to the abyss.

But who pulled us out of this misery well before 9/11?

Didn't Musharraf appoint the best man for the job, Shaukat Aziz. Didn't he recover billions that were granted during 11 years of Bibi and Ganjju's Looting Extravaganza? Didn't he pass the bill to curb endless attracting of foreign loans my ministers without parliamentray approval?

Like the above member said we were already on our way to recovery, 9/11 only shaped things up for our benefit.

Neo, yes i agree with you a 100% I was a very pro-musharraf person all my life, the guy was decent, ethical, not corrupt at all, and most of all sensible..but tell me something brother, what has Pakistan become? after all of these financial improvements, whats the law and order situation? and most of all whats the Islamic situation? this was my turning point on musharraf....the guy literally destabilized the whole Islamic system in the country! ive been to madrassah's,, im ones graduate myself! ive talked to real top Islamic scholars, and believe me Neo, he has given a serious blow to all of them...the reforms he's made, teh laws he's passed, the intelligence agencies workin secretly and undercover.....if it would have not been for this, musharraf would indeed be THE Man for Pakistan...but unfortunately, he's not..we need change, all the present political parties, their all looters! every single one of em! and believe me...you and I were both on the same ground for hating zardari and nawaz...

so we need a change, this drawing room politics is whats killin pakistan..and this has to change...

May Allah Bless Pakistan. Ameen

Neo, yes i agree with you a 100% I was a very pro-musharraf person all my life, the guy was decent, ethical, not corrupt at all, and most of all sensible..but tell me something brother, what has Pakistan become? after all of these financial improvements, whats the law and order situation? and most of all whats the Islamic situation? this was my turning point on musharraf....the guy literally destabilized the whole Islamic system in the country! ive been to madrassah's,, im ones graduate myself! ive talked to real top Islamic scholars, and believe me Neo, he has given a serious blow to all of them...the reforms he's made, teh laws he's passed, the intelligence agencies workin secretly and undercover.....if it would have not been for this, musharraf would indeed be THE Man for Pakistan...but unfortunately, he's not..we need change, all the present political parties, their all looters! every single one of em! and believe me...you and I were both on the same ground for hating zardari and nawaz...

so we need a change, this drawing room politics is whats killin pakistan..and this has to change...

May Allah Bless Pakistan. Ameen

what change r u proposing. musharraf is being maginalised. the euphoria of the elections and the so called "100 days of revolutionary work" by the present rulers will die down fast when reality will hit these politicians in their faces (it has already hit the pakistani people many times over). who will bring this change? the people have voted these looters and carpetbeggers back into power.

and most of all whats the Islamic situation? this was my turning point on musharraf....the guy literally destabilized the whole Islamic system in the country! ive been to madrassah's,, im ones graduate myself! ive talked to real top Islamic scholars, and believe me Neo, he has given a serious blow to all of them...the reforms he's made, teh laws he's passed, the intelligence agencies workin secretly and undercover..

The Islamic situation is that we have extremist and militants who kill in the name of Islam. Who blow up people by suicide tactics and kill muslims.

Even Saudi Arabia is forced to take action against such militants who are only harming Islam and muslim countries. What kind of militants are these that are acting against Muslim countries rather Israel or Indian RAW???

The Media has wrongly presented it as if we have brought someone elses war into PAK. That's NOT the case. This extremism was grooming under the protection of MMA and like minded people secretly. It would have EXPLODED damaging much more, had Musharraf not acted against these fanatics!

Musharraf is the one who introduced a proper "Syllabus" and "Science subjects" into madressahs. Earlier, these madressahs were only teaching extremism.

These Lal Masjid types kept their students behind grilled windows, even when talking to parents.... the parenst were NOT allowed to privately interact and commnicate to their kids. What was all this? Is Masjid a place to keep ammunition and weapons to kill?

I'm glad Karachi and Lahore are much safer without these Hari Pagri, etc. Earlier the masjids were meant for gangs of these parties.

When people like Fazalulah (with Indian help) and Baitullah Mehsud CONSPIRE against PAK and hence their plans to slaughter anyone who oppose them and their plans to introduce "Shariah" in NWFP..... what should any leader do???

Musharraf has rightly tried to ELIMINATE such elements.... they are devils in garb of preachers. Those promoting Suicide bombings must be beheaded.

Had Musharraf not acted at the right time, after 2001, these maniacs (promoted by India) would have been sitting all over PAK. We're still not safe...we still have to fight this war against MIS-USE of Islam....:pakistan:

Instead of wrongly blaming Musharraf, whose trying to protect PAK from these Indian trained agents...... we should criticize those who mis-use Islam to kill muslims!

what change r u proposing. musharraf is being maginalised. the euphoria of the elections and the so called "100 days of revolutionary work" by the present rulers will die down fast when reality will hit these politicians in their faces (it has already hit the pakistani people many times over). who will bring this change? the people have voted these looters and carpetbeggers back into power.

Well said. What change is their in our politics. We might have a new government but the faces are old, we have been seeing these faces for the past 60 years. As far as the "100 days of revolution" geos, almost all governments have promised this. Every single government that has come into power has made the promise of change, they did somethings in the beginning to satisfy the people and then after a while forget about all the promises they made. I think the only leader in our history that actually delivered a 100 days of revolution was President Field Marshall Ayub Khan. But I dont want to discuss this here.
The promises that the present government has made should be brought into reality. If they fail to deliver what they promised they must be held responsible for it and voted out of power. But their is no use, they will be voted out in the next election and then come into power the next election, its a cycle that will continue.

Back
Top Bottom