What's new

Winning Hearts in Combat Zone: The Story of Dewagar, North Waziristan

Independence of any one region would trigger a domino effect of everyone demanding it, it will sit constantly in mainstream politics as a solution to every other person's problems.

At that point you're basically surrendering Pakistan itself lol, it wouldn't survive another Bangladesh-like scenario, whether you give territory willingly or unwillingly. (It's also extremely cucked mentality given how even Pajeets sustained Kashmir through brutal insurgencies and international pressure yet we fold easily.)

In my opinion, tribal regions will take decades to slowly normalise, I don't mean it in a racist way but they live an incredibly regressive sort of ancient lifestyle and extremely conservative than any place on Earth, violent feuds between own tribes, hate everyone not part of their community, think they have the right to kill woman for simply stepping out the house without their permission (I don't mean to sound like a feminist but it's brutal), etc. It's going to take decades just to get them caught up even a small amount and there will be issues along the way.
My point is if Pakistan is to stay united we need to win hearts and minds of even terrorists fighting us.
You can’t win this war just by fighting. You need to work to integrate the tribal population.
If Pakistan does not want to integrate them and work to win them over then it might as well just let them break away cuz it’s sucking all our resources. Ofc I don’t want this but just saying the point of a state is to win its people over. If a state doesn’t want to do that it’s not a state.

Bro, dont mind but these kind of posts / articles are not gonna work and make the PA win back its respect which they lost thanks to Bajwa and then Asim Whiskey.

Better to remove oneself from political engineering and this resign of terror and let the ppl of Pakistan select their leadership.
Not posting with that intention.

Idk but the person I was talking to said they see white flags almost everywhere now. Much of Tribal areas is still a no go zone.
I think by pre zarb e azb time he meant like TTP has a presence in all pre zarb e azb areas now again plus areas which were considered “settled” even before zarb e azb, not necessarily they carved it out to be like their own territory.

With this type of attitude you certainly aren’t gonna “win hearts and minds” of anyone.
Let’s not ignore the fact that Pakistan continued the same old British colonial system and laws for tribal areas up until very recently which neglected the whole tribal areas. The state has always treated it like a “buffer” between Pakistan and Afghanistan so don’t expect locals to not resent the state for its neglection of the area.
Btw I’m not supporting locals who support TTP
b saying it’s the job of the state to ACTUALLY WIN hearts and minds. If you’re not interested in that then might as well make it independent or else it’ll be a never ending war.

Look their is not winning hearts and minds, their is colonial system blah blah blah

Then their is the "let's blow things up, kill people and cause fassad because we are afghans and we can't do anything beyond murder and slaughter" attitude

Even complete morons for their sake of their own children would have worked it out

For all the failings of the state and their are many you can't take the state has to win hearts and minds or afghans will murder , kill and blow things up because they are retarded attitude

their is a BIG difference between they not liking some laws or wanting change, then what the tribals have been doing for 75 years (remember predating TTP, Taliban and afghan war)

Winning Hearts in Combat Zone: The Story of Dewagar, North Waziristan​

Dewagar is the border town of Tehsil Ghulam Khan in North Waziristan. This valley comprises six villages with a population of approximately 3500. The area has remained a hotbed of insurgency, disrupting civic facilities and the rural economy. To relieve the population, Pakistan Army is reaching out to restore their confidence and uplift the community.

97f832f6f334d64de3e89769806e56b8.jpg

Winning Over the Population
In militancy-prone areas, population’s trust is a deciding factor. In Dewagar, the population was won over through enhanced interactions and providing relief in many spheres. Every social segment was engaged, including tribal elders, widows, youth, and kids, which helped in understanding the needs of each segment.

fdc42b6b0ee16a2f866281508ef56730.jpg

Revival of Education

Educating youth is the best long-term way to expose twisted terrorist ideologies and block their potential recruitment. There were four Government Boys Schools in Dewagar, and all were non-functional due to absentee teaching staff.

The Local Army Unit made considerable efforts to revive education in the area. After liaison with government’s education authorities, all four schools have been revived. Five hundred seventy-five boys are studying with substitute teachers. There was no school building for girls in the area. Three girls’ schools have been established with an intake of 151 girls. These schools have been established as evening shift schools in the same building as boys’ schools to provide equal opportunities to girls in the area. Amongst these, Dewagar Public School is an iconic project established with the support of Commander 11 Corps. Distance Learning Initiative was introduced, and an Islamabad-based M. Phil teacher was hired to provide quality online education to tribal kids through smart classrooms. Technology Literacy Corner has been established to provide computer education to kids.

Moreover, a state-of-the-art Montessori Playroom has also been established. Nine boys were selected and sent to Formation Boys Hostel in Miranshah for the provision of quality education. In total, 726 boys and girls have been enrolled in schools of Dewagar, thus raising the literacy rate from the previous 2 percent to 20 percent.

Health Facilities

The best WHAM (Winning Hearts and Minds) is helping people in times of their suffering. There were two Government Community Health Centers (CHCs) in Dewagar, and both were non-functional due to the absence of requisite facilities and staff. In order to provide essential medical services to locals, Army Welfare Clinic, Dewagar was established in February 2023. The Regimental Medical Officer of the local Infantry Unit has been deputed to check and treat the patients daily. Pakistan Army is purchasing requisite medicines for the clinic. Local chromite contractors also donate medicines as a part of community service. Since the inauguration, 750 tribal men, women, and kids have been treated at Army Welfare Clinic.

db079083386e2e0885f278fbd1d8a476.jpg

Functioning of Water Supply Scheme

Water is a very basic and essential amenity, especially in the tough terrain of North Waziristan. Water Supply Scheme (WSS) of Kadi Khel village was non-functional due to a dispute over monthly contributions. A few low-income families had been unable to pay that amount for the last two years. Pakistan Army paid for those families, repaired a few broken accessories, and made this WSS functional for the complete village. One more WSS has also been approved under the Sarhad Rural Support Programme (SRSP) and will be implemented shortly.

84a529a92de322be42dd3365afd54f91.jpg

Chromite Exploration

In order to promote business in the area, chromite mining in the area was operationalized, which had been stalled due to security concerns since 2014. Starting in November 2022, over 1715 chromite tons were excavated worth Rs. 257 million. Chromite excavation has given a fillip to many associated businesses and has created 500 direct and indirect jobs. Locals get a direct tribal share of chromite besides working as laborers in the mines.

Youth Engagement

The youth was actively engaged through concerted efforts. Many sports events were organized, besides establishing cricket, football, and basketball grounds in Dewagar. Cricket matches of the Pakistani team during the T20 World Cup were live screened in Dewagar to engage the tribal youth.

Lieutenant Colonel Muhammad Imran Khan is a Command and Staff College Quetta graduate. The officer has vast experience in low-intensity conflict (LIC). He is currently commanding an Infantry Battalion in North Waziristan.

Can you imagine that you have to win hearts and minds in your own territory?

Find me one country where a country has to win hearts and minds within its own borders...

Absolutely, your talking about people who are little more than jaanwar, who can't see beyond ethno-stupidity, it's in their nature

Their will ALWAYS be conflict their and only a crackdown will bring limited peace, and the cycle of violence will always ebb and flow increase and decrease but never end BECAUSE THE LOCALS ARE INVOLVED

That's why the violence will never end because your not fighting a terrorist group, your fighting a terrorist AREA full of jahils waiting to join groups and terrorists

Wouldn’t you if the Army treated you as such
How many thousands of Pakistanis from the tribal belt have been killed by the army or on the say so of the army , how many bombs did America drop to murder Pakistanis in there sleep while the army generals partied drunkenly at night .

Imagine your innocent family sleeping at night and next day all dead from being bombed on the say so of the army ,

What would you do ?
I know what I would or I pray and hope I have the courage to hit them back as islamically I’m allowed by God .

How many thousands of Pakistanis from the tribal belt have been killed by the army or on the say so of the army , how many bombs did America drop to murder Pakistanis in there sleep while the army generals partied drunkenly at night .

Imagine your innocent family sleeping at night and next day all dead from being bombed on the say so of the army ,

What would you do ?
I know what I would or I pray and hope I have the courage to hit them back as islamically I’m allowed by God .

The Pakistani military had already lost when it joined the US/NATO war on terror. Today after 2+ decades it stands all alone. BLA in Balochistan. TTP in Afghanistan and Waziristan. India fuelling these groups. The US/NATO watching the shit show from a safe distance.

The Pakistani army is caught between a rock and a hard place. No breathing space.

The Pakistani military had already lost when it joined the US/NATO war on terror. Today after 2+ decades it stands all alone. BLA in Balochistan. TTP in Afghanistan and Waziristan. India fuelling these groups. The US/NATO watching the shit show from a safe distance.

The Pakistani army is caught between a rock and a hard place. No breathing space.

Bluntly
Serves them right

What would you do ?

But why not anyone else, why not kashmiri for example?

Is it because the tribals are always involved in fassad and deshatgardi?
Maybe it's because they shelter terrorists amongst their own people ?

I REPEAT drones or U.D bombs last 10-20 years

So how do you explain the fassad caused by these donkey tribals for the last 75 years???

See what I mean, EXCUSES

We are making excuses for these jahils,, oh the drones, oh the laws,

But the drones only occurred for a short period of time in the last decade and a bit, TTP last 15 years, Taliban last 25

But tribal fassad and deshatgardi since the beginning for 75 years,, throughout the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s,, what drones happened then?

Bluntly
Serves them right

Yaar the military will be ok,, if anything they have removed the army and this is just locals killing each other

Whether those locals are part of FC, part of police or part of TTP

It's just locals killing each other at the end of the day,,, everyone else is just looking shocked at why these tribal, afghan types can't live in peace

If they kill 10 police
10 FC
20 TTP

Harsh truth is that there will be 40 pashtun funerals

Police and FC are trying to bring peace to their own lands, their own people are involved in terrorism and everyone suffers but tribals especially suffer

Afghanistan is a disaster zone

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the people in these areas that you can't explain by just saying "generals"

Last edited:
But why not anyone else, why not kashmiri for example?

Is it because the tribals are always involved in fassad and deshatgardi?
Maybe it's because they shelter terrorists amongst their own people ?

I REPEAT drones or U.D bombs last 10-20 years

So how do you explain the fassad caused by these donkey tribals for the last 75 years???

See what I mean, EXCUSES

We are making excuses for these jahils,, oh the drones, oh the laws,

But the drones only occurred for a short period of time in the last decade and a bit, TTP last 15 years, Taliban last 25

But tribal fassad and deshatgardi since the beginning for 75 years,, throughout the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s,, what drones happened then?

Yaar the military will be ok,, if anything they have removed the army and this is just locals killing each other

Whether those locals are part of FC, part of police or part of TTP

It's just locals killing each other at the end of the day,,, everyone else is just looking shocked at why these tribal, afghan types can't live in peace

If they kill 10 police
10 FC
20 TTP

Harsh truth is that there will be 40 pashtun funerals

Police and FC are trying to bring peace to their own lands, their own people are involved in terrorism and everyone suffers but tribals especially suffer

Afghanistan is a disaster zone

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the people in these areas that you can't explain by just saying "generals"

No offence don’t be clueless. Pakistani People of tribal areas were the most patriotic Love of their country, i see why they the Pakhtuns are ashamed and angry of the Gov , and the media , Who are representing them to the world like this including you . The reason we have terror, our locals areas were handed over to these Terrorists because of Pakistani state and CIA created this monster in the first place . So the Pakistan army is dealing with the monster now and stop blaming the locals for this.

Last edited:
Not posting with that intention.

OK Bro, actually the timing of such posts with so much intensity gave me doubts.

I myself from military background, dont like what is happening, but this is our army own doing. There comes a time when its enough and in this age of social media, things cannot be buried or camouflaged through propaganda like old days.

Find me one country where a country has to win hearts and minds within its own borders...
Phillipines(Fight against extremists), United Kingdom (NI during the Troubles), United States (post-civil war), Malaysia (Communist insurgency) etc.. There's a decent amount but this should convey the fact that 'hearts and minds' approach is powerful and necessary in order to reach ones strategic goal especially in such asymmetrical conflicts.

OK Bro, actually the timing of such posts with so much intensity gave me doubts.

I myself from military background, dont like what is happening, but this is our army own doing. There comes a time when it’s enough and in this age of social media, things cannot be buried or camouflaged through propaganda like old days.
There are two sides to it. 99% of members post the other side of the military, I prefer to post this side. If those posts are reality, then this side is a reality too. The positive and negative, both are part of it. One can’t be neglected in favour of other.

What would you do ?

Don't waste your time with that fool. He's probably upset a Pashtun guy impressed the girl he was stalking online.

Guy will talk about Islam in one sentence and say some of the most racist shit ever the next day.

FCR was imposed on FATA by the army from 1947 until FATA was merged into KP just a few years ago.

Pakistan military sat silent quietly and allowed American drones to murder our own civilians and violate of airspace and sovereignty.

Pakistan military is zero in my eyes, and I'm an urban Lahori who just a few years ago was the biggest faujeet on the planet.

IMAGINE what the average Pakistani in Waziristan thinks or Turbat.

I am disgusted and ashamed I called people in FATA terrorists and denied the Baloch were being kidnapped.

The least I can do is call out this mafia for the frauds they are.

Doing panga with Imran Khan was the worst mistake GHQ ever did. This is the beginning of the end for them.

The fact rural Punjab sends lanat to GHQ on tik tok every 5 seconds is a testament to their downfall from grace.

The hearts and minds issue has been lost a lot of grounds due to both serious mistreatment at times and ethnic profiling, along with the failure of both the political system of the area and impact of external forces.

Those decrying the establishment need to understand that even if you have an extremely competent local commander with great relationships with the locals and runs things near perfectly ; because there is no underlying political system due to the historical failings of leadership in Pakistan and compounded by the absolute bungling of PTi in KP trying to follow IK’s idealism to the letter T and ignoring ground realities - the situation is approaching (if not already there) of Bengalis in 71.

Despite all the rhetoric, Lahore or Punjab proper PTi for that matter isn’t equivalent to “Bengalis” but KP and especially FATA due to long standing grievances and an very real ethnic clash with the majority - and in the opinion of some who have sat i the centers of power, near to that idea of not voting favorably for Pakistan if a plebiscite is held on staying together.

Much like East Pakistan - your foot soldiers, mainline officers and genuine patriots are going to be the fall guys for the usual elite cabal in case the worst happens.

Unfortunately, as I have gone stone deaf now pointing out to both those crying “Faujeet” and “Youthia” - that the system engineered starting from Ayub and the failures of its unqualified leaders who in cahoots with their civilian counterparts made decisions from selfishness or sheet incompetence have led you to what is now a scenario with more and more likely an inevitable outcome even if it gets delayed by years or maybe 2-3 decades by some miracle.

However, those expecting revolutions are ignorant of the history of their own land or blatantly in the denial stage of grief
Or
Are constantly praying to Allah for some divine intervention because that is the only thing that will work now.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom