What's new

World leaders back one-China policy

None. To 'undo' what Nixon did would require the same US-China political and economic environment as that time, and we know that is not how it is today.

That does not mean China cannot protest diplomatically, but the reality, as have been pointed out, Taiwan is de facto an independent entity regardless of how much China can protest otherwise.

What can China do if the US, under Trump, decides to recognize Taiwan -- de jure -- and grant the country all commensurate political and diplomatic rights ?

A complete severance of political and economic ties is not feasible, and we all know that, no matter how much rhetoric the PDF Chinese can spew.

A military response towards Taiwan is also not desirable in the long run if China want to have a military. China does not have a viable amphibious assault force and any attempt to create such a force -- haphazardly -- will end up with that force decimated in that span of water between the two sides.

China may be rising -- economically and politically -- in the world, but the US is still the power -- economically and politically -- to reckon with. If the US, under Trump, decides to put Taiwan on the same political status as China, have no doubts that many other countries, especially the ones that have some relationships with Taiwan, will follow the US. Their reasoning will be the same: 'Why not ?'
·
US needs China's support or at least to cooperate in many international issues, I bet you that US will not recognize Taiwan as a country after Trump swear in . Wanna bet???

You are a joke, uncle gambit. LOL

Duh, of course war not desirable. War is only desirable for the US but that only if you are fighting some desert ragtag dolls. LOL Like I teach people many times, the world doesn't operate the way you want it. You don't just grant and decide the territorial integrity of another state without consequences. You can talks all you want but I know for sure American public WILL NOT fight a nuclear war for Taiwan.
Uncle gambit served, you didn't. :D

As for you indonesians, you guys should be worried because trump is sadly an islamophobe.

So true.

·
US needs China's support or at least to cooperate in many international issues, I bet you that US will not recognize Taiwan as a country after Trump swear in . Wanna bet???
China have a history of standing against the US on many international issues, of which you PDF Chinese asserted and cheered. Further, China's main 'international' issues, as much as we can use the word 'international', are located in Asia, not necessarily in the same scope as what the US usually have. So no, we do not need China's support in issues in Europe or the ME, for examples.

As for whether the US will formally recognize Taiwan or not, anyone's guess is just as good as anyone else's in this round table. I am in Vegas, buddy, when the odds are at best 50/50, you do not bet against the house. :lol:

Trump is playing China. It is working precisely because Trump have been such a disruptive character in US politics. And while I will bet against the house, I will bet on Trump that he will disrupt the international order. Get that thru your head.

Also I strongly advice you from assuming Asia will follow you.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/trump-sa...-one-china-policy.466135/page-2#ixzz4San4WLHV
I do not need to assume anything. For decades, Taiwan and Singapore have had a military relationship in spite of what China want. Taiwan allows tiny Singapore to hold military training on Taiwanese soil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Singapore#Taiwan
When Singapore became independent in 1965 from Malaysia, it continued to recognise the Republic of China on Taiwan.
No harm was done to China, image wise or anything else. If the US, under Trump, increased the scope of relation with Taiwan, started with the phone call between Trump and Taiwan that infuriated Beijing, people can bet that such increase will occur once Trump is formally sworn in and taken the reins of US international relations. Bet against The (Trump) White House at your peril.

He always send mixed messages that no one knows what's really in his mind. a couple of days ago he said the single most important relationship to US is China which must improve,but how?

I believe there is nothing on his mind nor in his mind. He is a crowd surfer.... Goes with the flow. Someone said the decision Trump makes is based upon the last person he talked to about that decision.

I have been rooting for Trump not because i thought he was going to be great president.... Rather I want him to be a total disaster. ... which is exactly the current trajectory... :)

Go Trump!

So inconfident , cause you also know it won't happen. anyone with a clear mind knows that.How about this, do you personally believe that Trump will put up a wall along the US and Mexico border, I say no, what would you say?

Trump backed out of this one already. In addition to repeal Obama care and go after Hillary.

"I fully understand the 'one China policy,' but I don't know why we have to be bound by a 'one China policy' unless we make a deal with China having to do with other things, including trade," Trump said on an interview with Fox News Sunday.

He has a point here , US has been giving for years with little to ' get' in return. The return on investment of One China policy for the US seems poor.

We have interesting times ahead.

He's soon gonna be the president of the United States. You are seriously delusioned if you think that what he says is a joke anymore. It may have been earlier, but no more.

You can't help fix a delusional person. It's their down fall. Leave them be. I could careless about them. Calling a multi billionaire delusional and all talk but no action is funny. LOL

Lol

Chinese : He is a joke what he says is a joke.

Well wakeup from your dreams. And smell the reality. If America starts poking you. Then you will know why they a world's only superpower.

Lol

Well wakeup from your dreams. And smell the reality. If America starts poking you. Then you will know why they a world's only superpower.

They are in denial. LOL

Lol

According to "pecking order theory" we've full experience in poking India at wish as well
Perhaps our Indian friends may found some compensation from being a "cheer leader" for the Americans
However, unfortunately in reality, the harassment we imposed on you Indians will continue as usual:pop:

Trump gives a strong message.

He basically says, "Grab me by the Dollar and I will do whatever you want."

Taiwan officials here did not take it happily, actually. If you follow the TV debates, people believe that Trump is ready to trade Taiwan entirely in return for, perhaps, a debt reduction by or more imports from China.

However, I do not anticipate Mainland to engage in bargaining with Trump on this.

The rifle deal with the PH and vessel deal with Malaysia show that China is in fact hell-bent on beating the US on its (only remaining) strong home turf.

There will be no easing.

Last edited:
Trump says US not necessarily bound by 'one China' policy
ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON
Published 18 hours ago

< AFP Photo
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump questioned whether the United States had to be bound by its long-standing position that Taiwan is part of "one China" and brushed aside Beijing's concerns about his decision to accept a phone call from Taiwan's president.

"I fully understand the 'one China' policy, but I don't know why we have to be bound by a 'one China' policy unless we make a deal with China having to do with other things, including trade," Trump said in an interview with Fox News Sunday.

Trump's decision to accept a congratulatory telephone call from Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen on Dec. 2 prompted a diplomatic protest from Beijing, which considers Taiwan a renegade province.

Trump's questioning of long-standing U.S. policy risks antagonizing Beijing further and analysts have said it could provoke military confrontation with China if pressed too far.

Beijing had no immediate comment on Trump's remarks.

The call with Trump was the first such contact with Taiwan by a U.S. president-elect or president since President Jimmy Carter switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979, acknowledging Taiwan as part of "one China."

Taiwan is one of China's most sensitive policy issues, and China generally lambastes any form of official contact by foreign governments with Taiwan's leaders.

After Trump's phone conversation, the Obama administration said senior White House aides had spoken with Chinese officials to insist that Washington's "one China" policy remained intact. The administration also warned that progress made in the U.S. relationship with China could be undermined by a "flaring up" of the Taiwan issue.

Following Trump's latest comments, a White House aide said the Obama administration had no reaction beyond its previously stated policy positions.

In the Fox interview, Trump criticized China over its currency policies, its activities in the South China Sea and its stance toward North Korea and said it was not up to Beijing to decide whether he should take a call from Taiwan's leader.

"I don't want China dictating to me and this was a call put in to me," Trump said. "It was a very nice call. Short. And why should some other nation be able to say I can't take a call?"

"I think it actually would've been very disrespectful, to be honest with you, not taking it," Trump added.

Trump plans to nominate Iowa Governor Terry Branstad as the next U.S. ambassador to China, choosing a long-standing friend of Beijing after rattling the world's second largest economy with tough talk on trade and the call with the leader of Taiwan.

But in the Fox interview, Trump brought up a litany of complaints about China which he had emphasized during his presidential campaign.

"We're being hurt very badly by China with devaluation, with taxing us heavy at the borders when we don't tax them, with building a massive fortress in the middle of the South China Sea, which they shouldn't be doing, and frankly with not helping us at all with North Korea," Trump said. "You have North Korea. You have nuclear weapons and China could solve that problem and they're not helping us at all."

Economists, including those at the International Monetary Fund, have widely viewed China's efforts to prop up the yuan's value over the past year as evidence that Beijing is no longer keeping its currency artificially low to make Chinese exports cheap.

http://www.dailysabah.com/americas/...-us-not-necessarily-bound-by-one-china-policy

Trump's strategy will be to appease Russia with plenty of carrots and show the stick to China. He and his advosrs think that without Russia's strong support China is vulnerable. How far this observation echoes the ground reality is debatable but Trump seems to be on the path of alienating China.

Mod Edit: President Trump is now backing the One China policy.
https://defence.pk/threads/world-leaders-back-one-china-policy.467358/page-7#post-9191106

Back
Top Bottom